#1 Most Universally Useful Item for a Med Student!! PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fytnowl05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy graduation gifts for two of my great friends who will be attending med school this upcoming year. I just wanted to take a poll to find out what might be a good gift to give. Also, I will be matriculating this year too, so I thought it would be interesting to hear what med students have to say. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE MOST USEFUL ITEM FOR AN M1 MED STUDENT (books, clothing, devices, tools, etc.)? WHAT ABOUT THE AN ITEM THAT YOU DID NOT HAVE BUT FELT YOU NEEDED?
p.s. can't say money or cars those have already been taken

Members don't see this ad.

A handgun with which to kill one's self.

Flobber said:
A handgun with which to kill one's self.

.....Okay, looking for something maybe a little more positive...a little more of a realistic gift

Members don't see this ad :)
What I really would have liked to have is gift cards to fast-food places, like Subway, Panera, Starbucks, etc, for those times when I was too busy (or lazy) to go grocery shopping and ran out of food, which was often. Yes, that would be an awesome gift.

On the acedemic end of things, Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy. It's a little pricey and not really required, but so nice to have to study for anatomy practicals.

Maybe a medical dictionary? Reflex hammer? Scrubs? Stethescopes are too much, unless you're willing to shell out the cash.

A gift card to barnes and noble/boarders...

A big tin of their favorite coffee, and a coffee machine.

CeLo said:
What I really would have liked to have is gift cards to fast-food places, like Subway, Panera, Starbucks, etc, for those times when I was too busy (or lazy) to go grocery shopping and ran out of food, which was often. Yes, that would be an awesome gift.

i agree with the above. someone got me a $30 starbucks card for boards studying, and it's definitely going fast.

if you have the money, i'd recommend an ipod (start at $99)--great for studying and great for working out/having fun. i never studied to music or in coffee shops as an undergrad, but with the sheer number of hours spent studying, i now own both an ipod mini and a starbucks visa to get through it.

on the more medical side--a pair of scrubs for anatomy lab. netter's anatomy atlas. a good general clinical book is useful for preclinical PBL. I'm thinking Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine if you can afford it. If not, the profesional guide to signs and symptoms (it's actually in the nursing section at my school, but it's good for the basics) is cheaper.

i enjoyed reading a few soft medical books before starting school like "White Coat," "The "Spirit Catches You..." and "Singular Intimacies." Those might be nice.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 (book) and a good stethoscope. I'm just starting my M4 year. When my husband starts medical school, that's what I plan to get him. But do not choose a stethoscope if you have no familiarity with the various models.

Reflex hammers and scrubs are utterly useless, and cheap enough (or free) that they can easily obtain them without you giving them as gifts.

Netter's and Rohen's anatomy atlases are quite nice to have on the shelf, so they're not bad gifts -- though, after having to stare at them for your entire first semester (or year) of medical school, you will retain very little fondness for them. And I've rarely ever used them again after the first semester of medical school. Never used a medical dictionary in my life.

The First Aid book looks awful, but is a wise investment that can be used for the first two years. After taking the first set of boards after second year, they'll be very grateful they had the book all along.

The stethoscope is far more overglorified before you enter med school or before you hit the wards. After, you realize it's such a cheesy gift. But it's a nice, symbolic gift as well, and a decent one (doesn't need to be diamond-encrusted or anything) will come in very handy.