Medical 1.2 Science GPA, College Sophomore, should I give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to become a doctor since high school, but now I am questioning if it's an even feasible journey to continue. I just ended my sophomore year and my science gpa is a 1.0, and this is based off 5 science classes. I knew I was struggling with classes and with life circumstances, but I thought I could stick it through even though my major was hard. I'm now changing majors to psychology to graduate on time and get my overall GPA up.

I know there are postbacc programs, but to get into one I would have to take a couple years of community college courses to bring my GPA up to meet the minimum requirement.

Is it realistic to continue trying to be a doctor? I understand it's never too late, but I feel like I have royally messed up my chances. Looking for advice/an outside perspective.
For starters, you need to start seeing things from now on.

Go to your schools learning or education center for help with time management, test-taking skills, learning styles, Etc.

I don't think you need to do a nice post BAC program. Those are mostly for career Changers. You can do a post bacc do it yourself.

Or you can do a special master's program

Members don't see this ad.

Were those five classes ones that you would need for the MCAT (the chemistry or biology ones)? If so, then you might want to consider something else as a major. Without a solid foundation in both, it's hard to recover. It's unlikely that you would outperform on the tests for entrance without a complete transformation in aptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.