All Branch Topic (ABT) 05DEC - Day of Mourning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

militaryPHYS

Ortho Staff
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested to hear how different local commands handled the short notice to observe a federal holiday. It was important for our country but tough for patients who had appointments/surgeries scheduled.

Members don't see this ad.

Hospital was fully operational as exempted by the Executive Order (not specifically exempted, but fell within the stated exceptions)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
We closed the clinic and rescheduled everyone. Inpatient stayed open as on any other federal holiday. I think we got everyone rescheduled for either the day before or the day after the holiday.

Members don't see this ad :)
On Monday there was some discussion of closing down everything, canceling scheduled surgeries, etc. A couple of our surgeons pre-emptively moved cases to other days this week. We had some complex cases that deserved to be done in daylight hours in a fully staffed hospital, that we discussed rescheduling if we were partially open.

Around mid-afternoon on Monday our CO made the decision to stay open. He noted that we had a commitment to honor to our patients, most/all of whom had made arrangements for time off work, con leave, child care, and so on. I don't think President Bush would have wanted servicemembers, retirees, and their families to be impacted in this way on his account. Staying open was the right thing to do.

Reactions: 3 users
my large MTF remained open too, for the most part. Glad to see the Medical Corps still cares and works hard (or at least tries to). Believe it or not, the MC really does work a lot harder (and is more efficient) than other parts of our gov't. And George H. W. Bush would be aghast if he found out people took a weekday off to mourn him....he'd rather your work for the country and mourn at the same time.

My MTF (hospital, not medcen) does a full day training day every month (overkill...or a testament to the sheer volume of extra nonsense we have to do...but well see how long that lasts under DHA).
The day of mourning fell on our training day so everything but inpatient services closed. The entire base and civilians found out Monday...they waited to tell us until Tuesday afternoon.
I was post-call so it didnt really affect me, but it would have upset me if patient care was disrupted given current access issues.

I had a few upset staff that all their friends in other govt offices were off; however, the patients were quite appreciative.

I did hear that at least in some places the CDC was closed and that makes it really tough on some of the junior sailors to come in when things like this happen. Overall I think the hospitals made the right call staying open. The civilians that came in are getting holiday pay or comp time so they will still get some compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Our VA closed only administrative services. Healthcare providers still worked.

My VA all healthcare providers carried on business as usual. Non healthcare were out.

Thankfully, my MEDCEN remained open and fully operational. I would have had a conniption otherwise.

I think it's great that the VA can run without it's admin staff. I mean, I figured that was the case considering that they're usually more of a burden than a benefit, but this just proves it.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's great that the VA can run without it's admin staff. I mean, I figured that was the case considering that they're usually more of a burden than a benefit, but this just proves it.
We didn't see any fewer patients, but boy we didn't knock out nearly as many surveys.

It reminded me of a few years ago during the shutdown. I got to come to work 2 weeks and wasn't promised I would get paid, but every clerk, and admin person was allowed to stay home and enjoy a 2 week paid vacation. When things started back up they still got paid even though they didn't work. I was pissed.

It reminded me of a few years ago during the shutdown. I got to come to work 2 weeks and wasn't promised I would get paid, but every clerk, and admin person was allowed to stay home and enjoy a 2 week paid vacation. When things started back up they still got paid even though they didn't work. I was pissed.
But think about how hard they work trying to come up with new regs to justify their jobs.

But think about how hard they work trying to come up with new regs to justify their jobs.

I always said if you want to know where to make cuts in the VA you need to pull the log sheets of all the ceremonies, extra meetings, town halls, etc. and the folks who make it to all those need cut because they can't be too busy if they can make it to all the extra stuff.

Meanwhile I am having to submit a request for a day off 60 days in advance and my patients are booking out 70-90 days and if I have patients on my schedule I have to figure out how to get them in sooner or I can't be off........