*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

Link to last years Personal Statement Reader thread here.
If you need help getting started, check out the second post in this thread.

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post (and in the third post), with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2016-2017 applicants.

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to me via PM. If I can't answer them they will be forwarded to the rest of the Pre-Osteopathic senior moderator staff.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
List Updated: 03/15/2017
This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Osteopathic Volunteer Staff.
Any questions can be send to me (@AlteredScale), @Bacchus, or @chizledfrmstone.
Please remember that these people are volunteering their time. Be nice to them!

--DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!--
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list and add your name to the "Readers not available" list.

Current Readers Available:

Readers Not Available:

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post (and in the third post), with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2016-2017 applicants.

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to me via PM. If I can't answer them they will be forwarded to the rest of the Pre-Osteopathic senior moderator staff.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.

• Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.

2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list and add your name to the "Readers not available" list.

SDN Name: leturbinator
Credentials: I am minoring in literature and write creatively (when I'm not studying for exams!)
Specific things I'll edit: Grammar, morphology, syntax, themes, etc. Majority of my edits on the word document will be grammar and morphology, but I will also add in a comprehensive review in a separate message to discuss everything I felt that the paper needs/lacks. A personal statement is a lot like a short story that takes place in a court room or a passionate discussion with your family at the dinner table. I'd love to help out everyone!

Readers Not Available:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rules for Readers:

Credentials: I am minoring in literature and write creatively (when I'm not studying for exams!)
Specific things I'll edit: Grammar, morphology, syntax, themes, etc. Majority of my edits on the word document will be grammar and morphology, but I will also add in a comprehensive review in a separate message to discuss everything I felt that the paper needs/lacks. A personal statement is a lot like a short story that takes place in a court room or a passionate discussion with your family at the dinner table. I'd love to help out everyone!

SDN Name: Pizza1994
Credentials: MSUCOM class of 2021, non-trad background, Canadian
Specific things I'll edit: Sentence structure and content editing/refining. Only send in the form of a google doc.

Readers Not Available:

Members don't see this ad :)

Rules for Readers:

Specific things I'll edit: Sentence structure and content editing/refining. Only send in the form of a google doc.

SDN Name: getfat
Credentials: GA-PCOM Class of 2021, Non-trad, extensive healthcare ECs
Specific things I'll Edit: Willing to edit for grammar but better at critiquing content. Only send in the form of a goggle document.

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 05/11/2017

Specific things I'll Edit: Willing to edit for grammar but better at critiquing content. Only send in the form of a goggle document.

SDN Name: aspiringdoc34
Credentials: - Completed a technical writing certificate with my undergrad degree.
- Also published 10+ scientific peer-reviewed journal articles and national meeting poster presentations.
- Also a peer-reviewer at a major pathology journal
Specific things I'll Edit: Grammar, content, flow, syntax/structure, etc. I would prefer personal statements in Google Doc format, just PM me the link (make sure document is editable). Check my profile status for current turn-around time (depends on how many active essays I have at the time).

Readers Not Available:

Last edited:

Rules for Readers:

Credentials: - Completed a technical writing certificate with my undergrad degree.
- Also published 10+ scientific peer-reviewed journal articles and national meeting poster presentations.
Specific things I'll Edit: Grammar, content, flow, syntax/structure, etc. I would prefer personal statements in Google Doc format, just PM me the link (make sure document is editable). Check my profile status for current turn-around time (depends on how many active essays I have at the time).

SDN Name: Medic741
Credentials - 2 pubs (Disaster metagenomics & VR/AI for tx of PTSD) and conference poster, accepted DO
- 6 years EMS
- rock climber/mountain biker/extreme sports junky
- spent a lot of time in Chile/Argentina/Spain
- successful first round nontrad applicant
- 7 DO invites out of 11 schools applied to

Prefer to edit for content/flow/structure. PM me if you want a hand!

Readers Not Available:

Reactions: 1 user

Rules for Readers:

Specific things I'll Edit: Willing to edit for grammar but better at critiquing content. Only send in the form of a google document. MD/DO APPS ONLY! I HAVE ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF DENTAL ADMISSIONS!

Credentials - 2 pubs (Disaster metagenomics & VR/AI for tx of PTSD) and conference poster, accepted DO
- 6 years EMS

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

Specific things I'll Edit: Willing to edit for grammar but better at critiquing content. Only send in the form of a google document. MD/DO APPS ONLY! I HAVE ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF DENTAL ADMISSIONS!

- 6 years EMS

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

- 6 years EMS

SDN Name: timi94
Credentials- 2 publications, Writing minor from undergrad, NYCOM 2021, MS in Anatomy
Specifics things I'll Edit: I will edit for flow, grammar, sentence structure and will provide my honest opinion about your PS. I will also take requests to look at specific things about your PS.

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

- 6 years EMS

Credentials- 2 publications, Writing minor from undergrad, NYCOM 2021, MS in Anatomy
Specifics things I'll Edit: I will edit for flow, grammar, sentence structure and will provide my honest opinion about your PS. I will also take requests to look at specific things about your PS.

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

- 6 years EMS

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 06/05/2017

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 06/06/2017

SDN Name: cjcarter
Credentials: CCOM Class of 2021
Specific things I'll edit: pretty much whatever. Grammar, content, etc. I'm currently recovering from sinus surgery so I have a lot of time on my hands and figured I'd help some of you out! Please send in the form of an editable Google Doc if possible!

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Members don't see this ad :)

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 06/08/2017

Specific things I'll edit: pretty much whatever. Grammar, content, etc. I'm currently recovering from sinus surgery so I have a lot of time on my hands and figured I'd help some of you out! Please send in the form of an editable Google Doc if possible!

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 06/08/2017

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 06/12/2017

SDN Name: sailorHg
Credentials: AZCOM Class of 2021, Non-trad with fulltime work experience in healthcare, Kaplan tutor (helped students with GRE writing).
Specific things I'll edit: anything! I think I have a knack for making sure that the story is communicated. My mom was a professional editor so I picked up a few tips :) I prefer Google Docs. Full disclosure: I know nothing about dental school admissions.

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Last edited:

Rules for Readers:

Credentials: AZCOM Class of 2021, Non-trad with fulltime work experience in healthcare, Kaplan tutor (helped students with GRE writing).
Specific things I'll edit: anything! I think I have a knack for making sure that the story is communicated. My mom was a professional editor so I picked up a few tips :) I prefer Google Docs.

Fourandtwo:
Credentials: read 20+ essays on Reddit, so I've got pretty good market research. I'm also a pretty good writer.

Specific things I'll edit: I'm available to read PSes and secondaries. I am specifically good at finding your weaknesses and pushing you to dig deeper. Only use me if you are willing to be introspective.

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rules for Readers:

Specific things I'll edit: anything! I think I have a knack for making sure that the story is communicated. My mom was a professional editor so I picked up a few tips :) I prefer Google Docs.

Fourandtwo:
Credentials: read 20+ essays on Reddit, so I've got pretty good market research. I'm also a pretty good writer.

Specific things I'll edit: I'm available to read PSes and secondaries. I am specifically good at finding your weaknesses and pushing you to dig deeper. Only use me if you are willing to be introspective.

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Reactions: 2 users

Rules for Readers:

Fourandtwo:

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Specific things I'll edit: anything! I think I have a knack for making sure that the story is communicated. My mom was a professional editor so I picked up a few tips :) I prefer Google Doc

Fourandtwo:

Rules for Readers:

Readers Not Available:

Hi,

I'm not sure how to seek help from the volunteer readers. I am almost done with my personal statement and I was wondering if ANYBODY is willing to review my personal statement? I will greatly appreciate your time and constructive comments.

PS: Kindly direct me on how to go about it if this is the wrong place.

Thanks.
Laura

Hi,

I'm not sure how to seek help from the volunteer readers. I am almost done with my personal statement and I was wondering if ANYBODY is willing to review my personal statement? I will greatly appreciate your time and constructive comments.

PS: Kindly direct me on how to go about it if this is the wrong place.

Thanks.
Laura

Look at the post right before yours. I think that's the most updated one.

There are 2 members under "Current Readers Available".

You can contact them and see if they're still offering to read personal statements.

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 07/15/2017

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

Specific things I'll edit: anything! I think I have a knack for making sure that the story is communicated. My mom was a professional editor so I picked up a few tips :) I prefer Google Doc

SDN Name: Fourandtwo:

Any one still reading personal statements? I could use an extra set of eyes to read mine for grammar. I also have a weak opening and could use some advice on how to spice it up a bit.

Any one still reading personal statements? I could use an extra set of eyes to read mine for grammar. I also have a weak opening and could use some advice on how to spice it up a bit.

i could use some to read mine too (mostly for grammar). do you want to exchange?

Hi, I'm a little early but would anyone be interested in taking a look at my PS for 2019 cycle?

Is anyone still reading personal statements? Just finished mine and could really use extra eyes.

I wrote a rough draft for a personal statement, wondering if anyone could take a look at it. Thanks !

Inbox me if r able to

Last edited by a moderator:
his thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

Rules for Readers:
List Updated: 12/01/2018

Credentials: I am minoring in literature and write creatively (when I'm not studying for exams!).
Specific things I'll edit: Grammar, morphology, syntax, themes, etc. Majority of my edits on the word document will be grammar and morphology, but I will also add in a comprehensive review in a separate message to discuss everything I felt that the paper needs/lacks. A personal statement is a lot like a short story that takes place in a court room or a passionate discussion with your family at the dinner table. I'd love to help out everyone! Please send in a form of a google doc.

Readers Not Available:

- 6 years EMS

SDN Name: Fourandtwo:

What makes the difference between a good and a great personal statement?

Is someone is still reading the personal statement? Need a little help with it.

Is there any reader open to give me feedback on my PS for 2018-2019 app cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a reader available to give me feedback on my PS for the 2019-2020 cycle?

Yep, I helped out last year and currently am reviewing statements from the MD forum, but I'm available to read DO personal statements.
  • aspiringdoc34
    - Credentials: - Completed a technical writing certificate with my undergrad degree.
    - Specific things I'll edit: Grammar, content, flow, syntax/structure, etc. I would prefer personal statements in Google Doc format, just PM me the link (make sure document is editable). Check my profile status for current turn-around time (depends on how many active essays I have at the time).