Young black men who are pre-med or med students, why is it so hard to date???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
seriously...where do you hang out??

I have NEVER met an AA female who didn't appreciate a man who they could actually have conversations with. Not in high school, not in college (and the two are over a thousand miles a part so its certainly not just where I reside) and I doubt the AA females i'll meet in professional school will be any different! The statement that intelligent AA females can't tolerate intelligent AA males is not only ignorant, it's insulting. How can an AA female be truly intelligent if she can only survive in a relationship where her spouse is intellectually inferior? That's a personal self confidence issue that should not be a generalization to all or even most AA females...

You are right...we are all smart people. But in no way shape or form am I being ignorant to the fact that you are repeatedly insulting intelligent african american females by basically calling them insecure and power hungry.

I know this post is old but this response was just perfect. #slay

Reactions: 4 users
You'll have a lot more problems if you want to date outside of your race around here. A lot of non black girls here aren't into black guys and if they are, they won't admit it or date you for fear of being disowned by daddy or ostracized by the white community.

I'm still reading through the thread but 100%, the south sucks if you want to date interracially.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I'm still reading through the thread but 100%, the south sucks if you want to date interracially.

Why limit yourself to dating interracially? I've found that the conditioning is stronger in the south. Too many black people will rather date mediocre whites and Hispanics.

Why limit yourself to dating interracially? I've found that the conditioning is stronger in the south. Too many black people will rather date mediocre whites and Hispanics.

Because the supply of black people in general in our profession is very low. At most of my dental school interviews I was the only black period. My undergrad was similarly an overwhelming majority of other races.

Reactions: 2 users

If you are a black medical student, and want to date someone of the same race who is on your level, there are not a lot of options. There may be 6-7 black students in a med school class, if you arent attracted to the 3 0r 4 black girls there, then you expand your options.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a black medical student, and want to date someone of the same race who is on your level, there are not a lot of options. There may be 6-7 black students in a med school class, if you arent attracted to the 3 0r 4 black girls there, then you expand your options.

I agree with this message wholeheartedly! Its hard for both guys and girls.

I'm not actively looking for a relationship at this stage. Personally, I've always believed in "It will happen naturally". That's not to say that I won't pursue the woman, of course. It's just that I don't move to gyal. That means I don't walk up to randoms and start talking to them. I believe in starting at friendship first, and then letting the relationship naturally develop into more. That way you get a baseline of the person, and it's easier to determine whether you might spend the rest of your life with them.

When I was in uni and now that I'm doing my masters, I haven't seen anyone that comes close to fulfilling my criteria: Christ following, Nigerian (preferably), caring, confident, independent, funny, outgoing, intellectually stimulating, etc. This is something I've been praying for, and will continue to pray for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not actively looking for a relationship at this stage. Personally, I've always believed in "It will happen naturally". That's not to say that I won't pursue the woman, of course. It's just that I don't move to gyal. That means I don't walk up to randoms and start talking to them. I believe in starting at friendship first, and then letting the relationship naturally develop into more. That way you get a baseline of the person, and it's easier to determine whether you might spend the rest of your life with them.

When I was in uni and now that I'm doing my masters, I haven't seen anyone that comes close to fulfilling my criteria: Christ following, Nigerian (preferably), caring, confident, independent, funny, outgoing, intellectually stimulating, etc. This is something I've been praying for, and will continue to pray for.

Lol. I'm Nigerian too.

Members don't see this ad :)

PREACH!

Reactions: 1 users
Jezzzz everyone on SDN on this forum is Nigerian

Reactions: 4 users
My brudda. Guys iz a parry in here! We need to keep this thing going mehn. This is the livest this forum has been in agesssss fam
Someone should start a naija med/pre-med thread.....

@Fracture you're really trying to make this forum popping again :laugh::laugh::laugh:
But yeah, back to the topic of black pre-med men being hard to date, I find it quite hard to hear this myself. Reason why I say so is that as a black woman, it's already hard in general to get a guy (there's an evolutionary biologist who believes black women are against natural selection for being to "manly"), so adding the fact that she would make more money than her significant other makes guys feel emasculated.
I mean there is a lot of stats that shows that black women are dating guys with lower degrees than them, but they don't add the fact that there's more black women in college than any other race/gender. Tbh, I personally would like someone in medicine or optometry (cuz I'm doing it lol) regardless of race. If a brother and I get along well in grad school, then yay. If me and a white brother gets along, then it's still a yay..

Idk, I felt like I had to add my two cent on this ancient topic lolol

Reactions: 2 users
@Fracture you're really trying to make this forum popping again :laugh::laugh::laugh:
But yeah, back to the topic of black pre-med men being hard to date, I find it quite hard to hear this myself. Reason why I say so is that as a black woman, it's already hard in general to get a guy (there's an evolutionary biologist who believes black women are against natural selection for being to "manly"), so adding the fact that she would make more money than her significant other makes guys feel emasculated.
I mean there is a lot of stats that shows that black women are dating guys with lower degrees than them, but they don't add the fact that there's more black women in college than any other race/gender. Tbh, I personally would like someone in medicine or optometry (cuz I'm doing it lol) regardless of race. If a brother and I get along well in grad school, then yay. If me and a white brother gets along, then it's still a yay..

there are more black women in college compared to the males of their race, but not more black women than any other race/gender..... Percentage of 18- to 24-year-olds enrolled in degree-granting postsecondary institutions, by level of institution and sex and race/ethnicity of student: 1970 through 2015

asians are doing quite well in terms of enrollment

• Dislike

It's an unfortunate thing. Coming from a different perspective, I've that seen that it's pretty hard for Nigerian women to find a serious Christian Nigerian man. They are in such short supply. It's a numbers thing. One of my friends said you only need to find one. That's kind of the saving grace about it.

From my side, there are plenty Nigerian women about. It's just about finding one that's truly in Christ. There are indeed a lot less than you would think. It's really because Nigerians like to do this "religious" thing, so it's not very obvious who the real deals are. That said, I'm sitting pretty compared to my female counterparts.

Last edited:
It's an unfortunate thing. Coming from a different perspective, I've that seen that it's pretty hard for Nigerian women to find a serious Christian Nigerian man. They are in such short supply. It's a numbers thing. One of my friends said you only need to find one. That's kind of the saving grace about it.

From my side, there are plenty Nigerian women about. It's just about finding one that's truly in Christ. There are indeed a lot less than you would think. It's really because Nigerians like to do this "religious thing", so it's not very obvious who the real deals are. That said, I'm sitting pretty compared to my female counterparts.
I agree completely. I didn't help matters by going to med school in the Midwest, haha.....

there are more black women in college compared to the males of their race, but not more black women than any other race/gender..... Percentage of 18- to 24-year-olds enrolled in degree-granting postsecondary institutions, by level of institution and sex and race/ethnicity of student: 1970 through 2015

asians are doing quite well in terms of enrollment

I think what @WhyNeedAName meant (and feel free to correct me anyone) is that of the degrees conferred to Black people, Black women receive the bulk. Obviously this makes it slightly challenging for a Black woman with a post-secondary education that wishes to marry a Black man with the same level of education.

On another note, thanks for the link. I'm a big fan of graphs and excel, and it made me look deeper into U.S. education statistics across race and gender while I was bored at my job :)

I think what @WhyNeedAName meant (and feel free to correct me anyone) is that of the degrees conferred to Black people, Black women receive the bulk. Obviously this makes it slightly challenging for a Black woman with a post-secondary education that wishes to marry a Black man with the same level of education.

On another note, thanks for the link. I'm a big fan of graphs and excel, and it made me look deeper into U.S. education statistics across race and gender while I was bored at my job :)
it's possible they meant that, but that stat has been published with the incorrect conclusion in a number of places....and yeah, I love source charts