X-ray License for international dentists working as dental assistans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentotune

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.....I am a dentist from Egypt getting ready to take my NDB exam but in the mean time I got hired as a dental assistant and I was wondering what I have to do to get an X-ray license......I don't think it's fair to study for the whole dental assistant board exam.........is there something just for the X-ray license?..... thanks a million

Members don't see this ad.

to get x-ray certification you dont have to go through the entire dental assisting course. Some universities offer a separate 2 day class and gives you the certificate. you can even enquire in some community colleges also.

dentotune said:
Hi everyone.....I am a dentist from Egypt getting ready to take my NDB exam but in the mean time I got hired as a dental assistant and I was wondering what I have to do to get an X-ray license......I don't think it's fair to study for the whole dental assistant board exam.........is there something just for the X-ray license?..... thanks a million

Amdoct........you're a friggin' life saver......thanks a million, I will try to find a college here that would provide me with such a course......thanks again :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Amdoc,

If I get a certificate from lets say CA, can I use this also in another states? Or do I have to get an xray course and certificate again?

amdoct said:
to get x-ray certification you dont have to go through the entire dental assisting course. Some universities offer a separate 2 day class and gives you the certificate. you can even enquire in some community colleges also.

you can use it anywhere. its just the basic principles about radiation safety ,techniques and processing of the film. Where ever you do the course its the same.

talon cusps said:
Hi Amdoc,

If I get a certificate from lets say CA, can I use this also in another states? Or do I have to get an xray course and certificate again?

hi im new here. I am a dentist in the phil and is currently working as dent asst in texas while struggling to get into school. I just had my texas xray license just 2 moths ago. I just bought the book and took a computer 50 items exam and that's it. i dont know how is it in other states. it should be same huh...:)

Hi.thanks for sharing phildent..but isnt it at texas they have new provisions? are you required to take infection control and juris exams as well? and cpr certification? congrats for passing..is it all in the book? :thumbup:

phildent said:
hi im new here. I am a dentist in the phil and is currently working as dent asst in texas while struggling to get into school. I just had my texas xray license just 2 moths ago. I just bought the book and took a computer 50 items exam and that's it. i dont know how is it in other states. it should be same huh...:)

Does anybody know what the procedure is in Arkansas??
Or whom to contact??
I contacted the local university and they do not have any certificate programs.

rtvj said:
Does anybody know what the procedure is in Arkansas??
Or whom to contact??
I contacted the local university and they do not have any certificate programs.
Hi,
try to contact the dental board or search their website, u should be able to find some information about what place teaches the radiation safety course in your area.
Good luck!

dentotune said:
hi,
IT would be great help if u tell me more about the dental assistant post that u have got.
do they take u based on your foriegn dental degree? or they need u to give ur NBDE ?
also what are your working hours?
THANKS.
YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED

i wanted to ask that is it safe to buy the materials that are displayed on the sales section? is paying through pay pal ok? when a mess says bad post what does that mean?sorry i'm new here as u must have realized
thanks

talon cusps said:
Hi.thanks for sharing phildent..but isnt it at texas they have new provisions? are you required to take infection control and juris exams as well? and cpr certification? congrats for passing..is it all in the book? :thumbup:

hi talon cusps. Actually there is no eligibility requirement for xray cert. just buy the book for radiology and everything is there. if you read it you'll get it for sure. Now if you want to be certified as a dental assistant, aside from xray cert, you need to take dental jurisprudence exam and infection control exam. and again there is no eligibility requirement for both exams just buy the book and take it! If you get the three exams, you are certified DA already!check with all states it might be similar. :)

i forgot to mention,that I got the information on Texas Dental State Board website. check first in your state's website, it might be easier. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hello there friends,

i am dentist from india and am applying to colleges at present
and was curious if we internationally trained dentist can get a job as a dental assistant
or some sought of licensure is required for it
please do reply
thank you

phildent said:
i forgot to mention,that I got the information on Texas Dental State Board website. check first in your state's website, it might be easier. :)

Thanks a lot. This is very helpful.

hello friends,,i am on h4 visa ie dependent visa,,if i do my xray cerification,,will i get a job as DA,,coz i have no work permit???plzzzzzzz help

Hi, i had recently take CDA ( Certified Dental Assistant) exam of DANB( Dental Assistant National Board). this exam is very easy for international dentist. and with this certificate you can practice as dental assistant. but it depends on which state you want to work as a DA. For this exam, you have to submit your dental degree copy, and CPR certificate. It gives you three certificates of Chair side assistant, infection control and X-rays in one certificate as CDA. You have to get 400 out of 900 score to pass this exam. it is better to take whole cda exam, instead of X-ray certificate exam. If you need any guidance about CDA exam, you can pm me. all the best.

sweetgal said:
hello friends,,i am on h4 visa ie dependent visa,,if i do my xray cerification,,will i get a job as DA,,coz i have no work permit???plzzzzzzz help

hey Sweetgal, I took the NJ radiology license exam and all they ask you for is your social security number, I'm not sure if you get a SSN with an H4 visa but the only way you can be certain before you commit to anything is to go to the American Dental Assistants Association website and email them your inquiry just like you put it here and they will be able to give you all the details www.dentalassistant.org

hope I was able to help....... :)

dentotune said:
hey Sweetgal, I took the NJ radiology license exam and all they ask you for is your social security number, I'm not sure if you get a SSN with an H4 visa but the only way you can be certain before you commit to anything is to go to the American Dental Assistants Association website and email them your inquiry just like you put it here and they will be able to give you all the details www.dentalassistant.org

hi stelon and dentotune,,,thanks a lot for the quick and informative feedback,,

thanks again

A word of a caution you won`t get an x ray license if you don`t have a SSN even if you finish the course. These are the rules in CA, anyway confirm this before you do the course.

sweetgal said:
hi stelon and dentotune,,,thanks a lot for the quick and informative feedback,,

thanks again

Hi, I am dentist from Ukraine. I am interested in any information About taken CDA exam and study materials. Should I work at Dental office certain amount of hours before taken this exam? Could you recommend some books for preparing for the exam?
Please, mail :[email protected]

Hi, i had recently take CDA ( Certified Dental Assistant) exam of DANB( Dental Assistant National Board). this exam is very easy for international dentist. and with this certificate you can practice as dental assistant. but it depends on which state you want to work as a DA. For this exam, you have to submit your dental degree copy, and CPR certificate. It gives you three certificates of Chair side assistant, infection control and X-rays in one certificate as CDA. You have to get 400 out of 900 score to pass this exam. it is better to take whole cda exam, instead of X-ray certificate exam. If you need any guidance about CDA exam, you can pm me. all the best.

HI I don't have CPR certificate.
Can you tell me what i have to do for CDA exam.
Mail me on [email protected]

Hi, I am dentist from Bangladesh. I have looked the website dentalassintant.org. But could not get any clue about CDA exam for international student. I am planning to get the X-ray licence before the CDA exam. Am i in right track. Could you please recommend some books for preparing for the CDA exam? please mail me at [email protected]

Hi, I am dentist from Bangladesh. I have looked the website dentalassintant.org. But could not get any clue about CDA exam for international student. I am planning to get the X-ray licence before the CDA exam. Am i in right track. Could you please recommend some books for preparing for the CDA exam? please mail me at [email protected]

This depends on which state are you staying at. In some states, you can work as a dental assistant without having x-ray license and without taking the CDA exam. You will need to check with the state boards.

Hey,dentotune,
could you please guide me how to take dental radiology license? I am living in NJ & I am also interested about this.

Thanks in advance.........

Hello everybody..

I need to know how much a foreign graduate dentist gets paid per hour for working as a dental assistant lets say in washington state or the west coast? the whole USA on average? And how hard is it for a male foreign dentist to find such an assisting job? Thanks alot

For those who are interested plz go to this page http://www.danb.org/
On the left hand side you can find the state specific information about this exam
On the right side you'll see the candidate guide for the CDA exam
In this you will find the eligibilty criteria :CDA exam eligibilty pathways Pages 18-19:thumbup:

Hello. I am a dentist from El Salvador and I am struggling to get a job as a dental assistant because everybody ask for x-ray license. I would like to know what are the requirements to get a x-ray license?

Hello. I am a dentist from El Salvador and I am struggling to get a job as a dental assistant because everybody ask for x-ray license. I would like to know what are the requirements to get a x-ray license?

For people wanting to be dental assisstants in california there is an institute that offers weekend courses for EVERYTHING!:)) including x ray licence and CPR. FYI most docs will let you work at their clinic if you have an x ray license, you do not have to go through dental asissting school. I say this because I am dentist with a practice in california . The website is www.dental-specialties.com . You can contact them for any information you want. I hope this is helpful for the folks in CA atleast. I am sure there are institutes like this in other sttes also.

A] How to get x ray certification?

B] To be eligible to appear for CDA ( Certified Dental Assistant) exam of DANB( Dental Assistant National Board), do we need clinical experience in US?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I m a foreign graduate from India ,on H4(with no work permit).

after reading the above posts i m a bit confused.can we write the above mentioned 3 exams without going for assisting course?

what benefit would i get after i complete my DA course?

Guys,please help me!

I have to pay my fee very soon and so don't want to land up with a wrong decision!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Any one who has gone through N.J dental radiology license process?.
Confirmed that we don't need to go through dental radiology course but confused about their documents requirements ,please any one , need help here!!

Hi phildent,
I'm interationally trained dentist,would you please tell me the requirements and how to register for the xray exam? Thank you

We are looking for Dental assistant in NC Greesnboro. We can get you assistant status x ray in 2 days class. Email me if you are looking for job as well as some connection to enter US dental school
Hello,
I am pleased to contact you.
I am Egyptian Dentist, I have been graduated from Cairo University - Faculty of Oral and Dental Medicine - Egypt and I got Bachelor’s degree of Oral and Dental Medicine and Surgery since 2001.
I am active, cooperative and enthusiastic person, I can do any work and transfer to anywhere according to need of work.
I would like to work any available dental job like dental assistant or any other vacant positions at your esteemed institute to satisfy my family needs.
I will require sponsor to work in USA , I don't think about salary at all (any) , I just need help my son.
I am working as a general dentist for 14 years in Egypt, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia.
Working in Ministry of Health of (Egypt) 5 years
Working in Ministry of Health of (Malaysia) 3 years
Working in Ministry of Health and Private center in (Saudi Arabia) 6 years
I have valid CPR certificate and I can attend short course to get radiographic certificate.
I am able to do all types of fillings, most types of fixed prosthesis, dentures, endodontic treatments, bleaching, scaling, normal extractions and surgical extractions of broken and impacted teeth.
I have experience in management and administration in Ministry of Health in Egypt, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia.
Also I have experience in assisting because I worked as an assistant for some maxillofacial surgeons in Malaysia under General Anesthesia and Local Anesthesia.
I would like to catch any dental opportunity job to help my son, because he has mild Autism and we would like to move to USA due to presence many powerful school programs dealing with Autism and unfortunately we don't have autistic schools in middle east countries like schools in USA and this consideration is the main reason for moving to USA plus improvement level of education , life quality and living style for my family.
I will be so grateful to accept me in your team.

I appreciate your time and I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours Sincerely,
Sameh Elnaggar
+966 55 9458058
+966 54 6919006
[email protected]

Hello, I am an International Dentist from India. I am currently a graduate student pursuing my MHA.I am of the idea of giving my Part-1, in the meanwhile, I am interested in having some cerifications like X-RAY, CDA. I stay in West Virginia. Kindly help me know how to get X-ray certification and the books to be read. Thank you in advance.

Hii everyone, I am an International Dentist from India. I am currently pursuing my MHA in west Virginia. I am interested in getting X-ray certification and also CDA. Kindly let me know how to get them in WestVirgina and also which books to prepare. [email protected] you in advance.