X ray certification in NJ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotus99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pls can anyone help me...how to get an X ray certification in NJ...?

i searched in the net and found information that for the license we need to attend 30 hours of lecture+15 hours of lab etc etc and then give an exam!!!!

Also a question to all those FTD's who have been DA's...did u get an X ray license before u assisted?i need a DA experience and having to attend about 50 hours of radiology is just too much!!!!!!!!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
so many views and no reply:(

i request those who have assisted dentists (all...and specially those living in NJ) to share their experience...whther they had got X ray certification prior to the assistance.

Hi Lotus99,

Do you mean X-ray certification or X-ray license in NJ?

If its X-ray license in NJ, then I can explain you up to my knowledge. If you are a foreign trained dentist, then you don't have to take the course for radiology. Instead, you have to pass NJ licensing examination or RHS exam, a component of CDA dental assistant exam. After passing either one of the exams you have to apply for X-ray license in the state of NJ. These informations are in the below web page.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rpp/tec/dental.htm

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rpp/tec/LicAppend.htm

If you have further doubts regarding this, I'll try my best to clarify it.

Thanks,
Roni.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Lotus99,

You can work as unregistered dental assistant in NJ with your foreign dental degree without x-ray license& CDA certification. In that case, you can't do certain tasks in the dental office. But still you can work. Talk to the NJ state board of dentistry regarding this. There is a person named Ms.Kim, who gives all the details for working as an dental assistant. Can you tell me in which part of Nj are you residing now?

Thanks,
Roni.

i meant X ray license....thanks a lot Roni:)..i really want to thank u for ur efforts...did u get an X ray license by any chance?how is this exam..and syllabi:(

im still trying for a DA position even as a volunteer...just wanna skip the radiology exam!anyways i have to repeat my toefl...write my part 2..if all this doesnt work,write part 1 again...dont wanna include radiology exam in my list:laugh:
i stay at oaktree road.

I haven't taken this exam yet. I recently collected these informations as I scored only 83 in my NBDE part-1. I thought that I might work as an assistant for a while before retaking Part-1.

So what is your Part-1 & TOEFL score? What are the universities that you are planning to apply? What is your e-mail?

Hi

I am also a foreign trained dentist looking for a DA job in NJ or NY, how do you find jobs? through the internet?

Hi

I am also a foreign trained dentist looking for a DA job in NJ or NY, how do you find jobs? through the internet?

Hi,
You can start searching in the local newspaper and in internet.

-aspirantdentist.

i meant X ray license....thanks a lot Roni:)..i really want to thank u for ur efforts...did u get an X ray license by any chance?how is this exam..and syllabi:(

im still trying for a DA position even as a volunteer...just wanna skip the radiology exam!anyways i have to repeat my toefl...write my part 2..if all this doesnt work,write part 1 again...dont wanna include radiology exam in my list:laugh:
i stay at oaktree road.

Hi,

What is your part-1 & Toefl score? When are planning to take Part-2? Have you started preparing for Part-2?

-aspirantdentist.

hi i m a foreign trained denstist looking out for jobs as a DA in NJ....can u help me knw if x ray license is mandatory to take radiographs n work in NJ?

hi lotus99 ,
i have seen ur thread about xray certification in NJ.Did u find it out .I called NJ state board , they said we have to give the CDA test and send the scores.Actually I am FTD Can u plz give me the information regarding the NJ xray certification and getting a DA position.

DDS69

hi lotus99 ,
i have seen ur thread about xray certification in NJ.Did u find it out .I called NJ state board , they said we have to give the CDA test and send the scores.Actually I am FTD Can u plz give me the information regarding the NJ xray certification and getting a DA position.

DDS69
I am also interested in getting x-ray license in N.J.
Which book we have to refer for this exam?
any ftd who got x-ray license before,please share some information....

I am also interested in getting x-ray license in N.J.
Which book we have to refer for this exam?
any ftd who got x-ray license before,please share some information....

No reply???

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I am also a foreign trained dentist and from india staying near oaktree, nj. I am also looking for dental observership . I need a job desperately. Can anybody please help me finding a job related to our dentistry.

@munch
Hey im in East brunswick too and need a job but NJ ppl wants XRAY license. where do i get this.. i searched for it online it is a 10 week program on sundays only and around 1000 dollars

Thank you dentstud11,
Did you join any school or something to get x-ray license?

Hi Lotus99,

Do you mean X-ray certification or X-ray license in NJ?

If its X-ray license in NJ, then I can explain you up to my knowledge. If you are a foreign trained dentist, then you don't have to take the course for radiology. Instead, you have to pass NJ licensing examination or RHS exam, a component of CDA dental assistant exam. After passing either one of the exams you have to apply for X-ray license in the state of NJ. These informations are in the below web page.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rpp/tec/dental.htm

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rpp/tec/LicAppend.htm

If you have further doubts regarding this, I'll try my best to clarify it.

Thanks,
Roni.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi ,
I was wondering that I just passed my RHS exam so can I apply for dental xray license rightnow or I have to go through dental xray course stuff as mentioned in the above posted links?thank you very much in advance

Hi ,
I was wondering that I just passed my RHS exam so can I apply for dental xray license rightnow or I have to go through dental xray course stuff as mentioned in the above posted links?thank you very much in advance
You have to have following papers:
    • Official course descriptions or course syllabi from the year(s) that you attended the program (Note: if you are a dental assistant, medical assistant, dentist or physician, you only need to submit descriptions or syllabi for radiography related courses);
    • Official clinical education information from the school that includes: (a) the total number of clinical education hours completed; (b) a description of the school’s clinical competency evaluation process, grading requirements, and evaluation forms used by the school to evaluate students for competency; (c) the school’s list of required procedures that must be performed competently in order to graduate; and (d) the actual completed forms that were used in evaluating your competency (Note: if “d” is not available, the school must state the reason and submit other proof of your competency history);

You have to have following papers:
    • Official course descriptions or course syllabi from the year(s) that you attended the program (Note: if you are a dental assistant, medical assistant, dentist or physician, you only need to submit descriptions or syllabi for radiography related courses);
    • Official clinical education information from the school that includes: (a) the total number of clinical education hours completed; (b) a description of the school’s clinical competency evaluation process, grading requirements, and evaluation forms used by the school to evaluate students for competency; (c) the school’s list of required procedures that must be performed competently in order to graduate; and (d) the actual completed forms that were used in evaluating your competency (Note: if “d” is not available, the school must state the reason and submit other proof of your competency history);
All these papers you have to get from your dental school. If not possible , then you have to get atleast the course syllabus from your dental school and a letter from a private practice certifying your competency in the radio graphic procedures the following are the minimum requirements:

replace the previous 30-hour clinical experience with new requirements that students completing the clinical portion of a state-approved program in your office expose three full mouth series (FMS) using the paralleling technique or the equivalent (defined as 28 periapicals and 8 bitewings) on a minimum of two patients, as well as twelve (12) additional exposures using the bisecting technique.

Students are also required to perform intra-oral digital imaging. This may be accomplished with the four bisecting bitewings taken with digital equipment or some of the paralleling periapical exposures. Panoramic digital exposures do not apply towards the digital imaging requirement. If your office does not have digital equipment to complete these requirements, the student must complete them at another dental office.

Once a student has accomplished the required exposures described above, they must also complete one FMS or the equivalent of 14 periapicals and 4 bitewings with the paralleling technique, plus four (4) periapicals or bitewings with the bisecting technique by analog or digital device, as well as 4 exposures using the bisecting technique, which must then be evaluated by a doctor or approved evaluator (a licensed dental assistant or registered dental hygienist) in your office.

IF YOU Don't have the above mentioned papers, then you have to do the radiology course and then apply for license
Foreign trained dentist cannot do the clinical component in New Jersey without doing the course, so it is better to get the papers from India before coming here.

All these papers you have to get from your dental school. If not possible , then you have to get atleast the course syllabus from your dental school and a letter from a private practice certifying your competency in the radio graphic procedures the following are the minimum requirements:

replace the previous 30-hour clinical experience with new requirements that students completing the clinical portion of a state-approved program in your office expose three full mouth series (FMS) using the paralleling technique or the equivalent (defined as 28 periapicals and 8 bitewings) on a minimum of two patients, as well as twelve (12) additional exposures using the bisecting technique.

Students are also required to perform intra-oral digital imaging. This may be accomplished with the four bisecting bitewings taken with digital equipment or some of the paralleling periapical exposures. Panoramic digital exposures do not apply towards the digital imaging requirement. If your office does not have digital equipment to complete these requirements, the student must complete them at another dental office.

Once a student has accomplished the required exposures described above, they must also complete one FMS or the equivalent of 14 periapicals and 4 bitewings with the paralleling technique, plus four (4) periapicals or bitewings with the bisecting technique by analog or digital device, as well as 4 exposures using the bisecting technique, which must then be evaluated by a doctor or approved evaluator (a licensed dental assistant or registered dental hygienist) in your office.

IF YOU Don't have the above mentioned papers, then you have to do the radiology course and then apply for license
Foreign trained dentist cannot do the clinical component in New Jersey without doing the course, so it is better to get the papers from India before coming here.
Or from whichever country you are coming from

Anyone looking for a dental assistant instructor job in Maryland area?
I am looking to hire international dentist as an instructor.
message me or email : [email protected]

Hi octonauts thank you very much for your reply and I appreciated it
I do have my syllabus description with me and certificate from dentist in india for whom i used to work as an assistant.
Would you please help me that how to get or what is the alternative for these documents; because in my school competency is based on annual exams results
1. the total number of clinical education hours completed.
2. a description of the school's clinical competency evaluation process, grading requirements and evaluation forms used by the school to evaluate students for competency
3. school's list of required procedures that must be performed completely in order to graduate and
4. the actual completed forms that were used in evaluating your competency history.
THANK YOU

Hi octonauts thank you very much for your reply and I appreciated it
I do have my syllabus description with me and certificate from dentist in india for whom i used to work as an assistant.
Would you please help me that how to get or what is the alternative for these documents; because in my school competency is based on annual exams results
1. the total number of clinical education hours completed.
2. a description of the school's clinical competency evaluation process, grading requirements and evaluation forms used by the school to evaluate students for competency
3. school's list of required procedures that must be performed completely in order to graduate and
4. the actual completed forms that were used in evaluating your competency history.
THANK YOU
Total number of clinical hours should be available from your dental school, but the evaluation can be shown as the question paper pattern as given in the syllabus, the clinical quota can be shown from log books if available. If log books not available, then the quota as mentioned should be done in a private clinic( can't be done in NJ) and then get a certificate or form filled from the private dentist. If it is not possible to get certificate, then no choice but to do the Radiology course in NJ.

Hi ,
Can you please tell me which books you had used for RHS certification? Thanks

is this given in any official website. can you please post link?

Last edited:
Hi ,
Can you please tell me which books you had used for RHS certification? Thanks
yes please.... I need resource for RHS exam? Could someone please recommend any resource?