WSJ Article on PSLF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like the White House has tried to change it twice already but Congress did nothing. From the article:

"The Obama administration is aware of potential for big payouts for highly paid doctors. The White House, as part of its annual budget proposals, has twice proposed capping loan forgiveness at $57,500. The proposal would need to be approved by Congress, which has not acted on it."

I would hope that before this ever came up on congress for an actual vote that the AMA would get involved. I see how this may have a negative view to some in the public, doctors having loans forgiven while making a large salary. However, I still have doubts that this limit of how much will be forgiven will ever be put into effect. Instead of going after this problem, my personal opinion is that they should address cost of education. Doesn't' seem right to let some kid (18 yo) take out 150k to get an art degree.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like the WSJ has something against physicians for a while. I see this bs spewed from their outlet every 6-12 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lawyers are even more reliant on this program than we are. They owe almost as much but have much worse job prospects--in terms of finding a job that uses their JD, and finding one that pays decently. Their programs actively market PSLF as the way to repay their high debt.

Lawyers have a lot more clout in Congress than we do, which is quite sad. But this is on area where lawyers will most certainly be our friends.

I would still not count on full forgiveness sticking around, but we'll see what happens...

Reactions: 1 users
Lawyers are even more reliant on this program than we are. They owe almost as much but have much worse job prospects--in terms of finding a job that uses their JD, and finding one that pays decently. Their programs actively market PSLF as the way to repay their high debt.

Lawyers have a lot more clout in Congress than we do, which is quite sad. But this is on area where lawyers will most certainly be our friends.

I would still not count on full forgiveness sticking around, but we'll see what happens...

Agreed. A good friend of mine is in public law and has been PSLF certifying since 2011 or so. The attorneys will most certainly fight any changes to this program and tangentially help others who are counting on it, too.

It seems like the WSJ has something against physicians for a while. I see this bs spewed from their outlet every 6-12 months.

Yes, it's the same author of the previous PSLF-focused WSJ articles. We'll see how this plays out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then STOP relying the government to bail you out. I have tons of debts too , but I plan on paying them ALL OFF in 4 years by MYSELF. You can do it. We can do it !!!!!!

Instead of going after this problem, my personal opinion is that they should address cost of education.
Second this. The student loan crisis occurs because schools are allowed to charge whatever prices they want in the first place. It appalls me that uni costs an arm and a leg for a degree in this country.