Writing the OAT late spring/early summer

Cellbio45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN forums,

I am planning on writing the OAT and applying to optometry schools for the 2018 cycle. My brother wrote the MCAT last august so I have the Kaplan MCAT book set (all seven books) to use for studying.What else should I use as supplementary resources for my studies? and what kind of a timeline I would need to study for this test. I am wondering if it would be possible to study part time (~10-15 hours a week) during the semester and write the OAT in April and be successful?

I have a cGPA of 3.51 (with an upward trend, 4.0 last two semesters) and am hoping to score a 370+ on the OAT. I am majoring in cell and developmental biology so biology will be my stronger suit, with physics being what i am weakest at. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The mcat study material should be very helpful. I would also recommend chads videos.
If you are applying for next year, are you taking the OAT this April? If you are you should be able to study part time and score well. You should plan on hitting your weakest sections first and really understanding that material.
Another very important piece of advice is to take timed practice tests so you are test ready.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response evorage, What kind of sources are available for timed practice material other than the free practice tests on ada.org? Should i invest in getting a program such as the OAT destroyer?

The oat destroyer and Kaplan oat book both have full length practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I solely used the Kaplan online class material. I was thorough with the tests and any test corrections I made after. I felt like the Kaplan tests were the harder than the real thing so when I got my score I was elated!

I used the Kaplan and Princeton review books together and scored 370+. Feel free to message me if you want the books.

Taking the kaplan self paced online course was the best decision I made! (370AA and 380TS) I was planning on studying on the books alone, but the full length practice tests and strategies helped me so much. I would definitely recommend taking a course so that you can score high the first time and not have to re-write the OAT. Kaplan practice is harder than the real OAT, so it prepares you for anything.

I think it is possible to study part time. I worked part time while I studied for mine and it went well. You just have to be good with prioritizing your time and not getting behind with your study plan.