Would you take this 3 month gig?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So this is via a recruiter email. How much money do you think is reasonable to get for this? For me they would have to "back up the Brinks truck". I honestly get a sick sense of entertainment out of reading some of these job posts recruiters send out.

• Cardiac fellow trained
  • Minimum 3 month commitment, July/August - ongoing
  • Anesthesiologist Cardiac Fellowship Trained and TEE Certified
    • Must be CV fellowship trained but they don’t actually do a ton of hearts (65-70 a year)
  • Dates: June - ongoing (minimum 90 days)
  • Lots of call
    • Backup call for CV only or general and CV call every other night or every 3rd night
    • Rotate weekends but at least 2 per month (rare call back)
    • Work post call but first out
    • A CRNA is on OB call, then an MD on call with a CRNA for back up
  • Types of cases:
    • Must have done 50 CABG in the previous year to get privileged for hearts
    • On and off pump cases, must be TEE proficient
    • CRNAs and docs work completely independent of each other
    • 100% Hands on

Members don't see this ad.

$2000/8 hour. Weekday. $300/hr after 3pm

Beeper rate depends on acuity. If rare call back. Beeper $300 for backup plus $300/hr min 2 hours

Weekend. Depends on acuity. If low acuity beeper. I take flat rate $3000/weekend day.

If high acuity weekend with OB coverage. I take $3500-4000 per weekend day

Again. Too many variables. Considering many Crna's are getting $130, often times $160/hr locums. This is not an u reasonable rate.

Reactions: 2 users
So this is via a recruiter email. How much money do you think is reasonable to get for this? For me they would have to "back up the Brinks truck". I honestly get a sick sense of entertainment out of reading some of these job posts recruiters send out.

• Cardiac fellow trained
  • Minimum 3 month commitment, July/August - ongoing
  • Anesthesiologist Cardiac Fellowship Trained and TEE Certified
    • Must be CV fellowship trained but they don’t actually do a ton of hearts (65-70 a year)
  • Dates: June - ongoing (minimum 90 days)
  • Lots of call
    • Backup call for CV only or general and CV call every other night or every 3rd night
    • Rotate weekends but at least 2 per month (rare call back)
    • Work post call but first out
    • A CRNA is on OB call, then an MD on call with a CRNA for back up
  • Types of cases:
    • Must have done 50 CABG in the previous year to get privileged for hearts
    • On and off pump cases, must be TEE proficient
    • CRNAs and docs work completely independent of each other
    • 100% Hands on

I'll start the bidding. I'll do it for $75k/month. But they don't want me anyway since they need a cards fellow for their one (or two) hearts per week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll start the bidding. I'll do it for $75k/month. But they don't want me anyway since they need a cards fellow for their one (or two) hearts per week.

This job sucks.
I'd take it for 75k a month plus lodging costs paid.

Reactions: 1 user
Anytime you think that YOUR job sucks just post this on the wall to remind yourself there are always crappier jobs out there.

Reactions: 1 users
90-100k/month job.
If I was to take this position full time, it would amount to that plus a lot of vacation to make up for q2 weekends and q2/3 call + fire fighter.

Sounds like a small town with a struggling heart program.

If you do all the hearts it may be Ok. If you are just coming out of CV fellowship and sharing 50-70 cases with other MDs then this is not your starter job.
Unless you do it for 3 months for 300k and move on to a real heart program.

Nothing like the quality you get from a team doing one heart a week.

--
Il Destriero

It's not just the OR team that struggles with that volume. The real issue is the ICU care. In the OR, those cases may all be done by the same team (or maybe two teams), so they are used to working with each other during all of the steps of the case. In the unit, though, there are two or three shifts of nurses each day, with the patient staying in the unit for several days, so each "heart nurse" may only end up taking care of a score of hearts a year.

At my old job, we usually did just over a hundred hearts a year. We sometimes had periods where we'd do three or four a week for a few weeks, then languish with nothing for several weeks. After those barren periods, you could really notice a difference for the first couple of hearts, particularly if they were more complex ones.