Would you hire me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathresident82

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking constructive feedback. If you had someone apply to your open job who had previously been terminated from a residency program (for professionalism issues), but then went on to successfully complete a residency and fellowship at another program, would you consider hiring them? Would you rank them less favorably than other candidates because of that history? I know that the job market in our field is very competitive and choice favors the path groups. I am grappling with some very tough choices and I want to hear some honest, but fair opinions on how you would view the situation as a prospective employer/partner.

I know there are a lot of variables in hiring a candidate, but I want to hear what people think of this specific scenario.

Members don't see this ad.

I am seeking constructive feedback. If you had someone apply to your open job who had previously been terminated from a residency program (for professionalism issues), but then went on to successfully complete a residency and fellowship at another program, would you consider hiring them? Would you rank them less favorably than other candidates because of that history? I know that the job market in our field is very competitive and choice favors the path groups. I am grappling with some very tough choices and I want to hear some honest, but fair opinions on how you would view the situation as a prospective employer/partner.

I know there are a lot of variables in hiring a candidate, but I want to hear what people think of this specific scenario.

Having been a hiring partner in a PP a number of years ago, I am sorry to say
that would have removed you from my radar screen. If it is any consolation, I/we
generally would not have hired you because you lack experience, even without the blot. I don't know if this is considered to be a "fair opinion" but it is honest.

Depends on the nature of the "professionalism issues". If you're a guy who comes into work wearing short skirts...not happenin' :uhno: If you're a female who likes short skirts, that can be overlooked.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to be more specific about your professionalism issues to get truthful answers. Being honest, I think that I would seriously consider not interviewing someone who had been terminated from a residency if I had enough other viable candidates. If you had a particular skill set/fellowhip compliment I was looking for, I would perhaps place you in the second tier of interview candidates. Usually there is an escalating warning process where you are told to knock off said unprofessional behavior before they go so far as to terminate you. I would seriously question the judgement of someone who let a situation boil over to the point that they were terminated and could not correct their behavior (unless this was addiction related or due to psychiatric or medical condition - which might be a different story). I would suggest addressing the issue of the termination in a cover letter if there are extenuating circumstances as to why this happened that explaining may help your cause.

Overall, whatever the issue, your best chance is to apply in the geographic area of your new program and have people who will be good references on hand to vouch that you have resolved these issues in your current program. If it's a group that your program director is familiar with, it may help to have him/her call and just mention their good experiences with you as a resident and answer their questions about the termination if they bring it up. Interested in seeing what everyone else thinks.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you to the responses so far. It has kind of confirmed my own personal thoughts. When there are so many qualified applicants it seems that you would be looking for things to disqualify people. The initial mental image people get from reading "terminated from prior residency" leaves a bad impression and very few, if any, people would even look more deeply at the situation. I'd like to think that a more detailed look at what actually happened would give me more opportunity, but I guess most people wouldn't even get that far in my application.

Thank you to the responses so far. It has kind of confirmed my own personal thoughts. When there are so many qualified applicants it seems that you would be looking for things to disqualify people. The initial mental image people get from reading "terminated from prior residency" leaves a bad impression and very few, if any, people would even look more deeply at the situation. I'd like to think that a more detailed look at what actually happened would give me more opportunity, but I guess most people wouldn't even get that far in my application.

Unfortunately pathology is overwhelmed with applicants for jobs. We are already commodotized. I am a big believer in second chances/redemption so go make it big in some other field or branch of medicine!

You should address this head on in your application so they don't need to initiate the effort to "look more deeply" into the particulars of your situation. If they have to put time and effort into understanding your situation from the outset, they probably will just pass. But if you bring it up you can control the message (at least initially). It is, however, hard to give good advice without more details.

You will also want someone that they trust (residency director, fellowship director, prominent pathologist) to vouch for you, because they may not otherwise trust you.

Finally, I would image that it will be the first job that is toughest for you to get. If you do well and act professionally there, then I would doubt you will have much trouble with subsequent jobs in the future (although might still have some). You may need to take an undesirable/low paying job for a few years, or do a fellowship in a field that is less desirable and in need of bodies if you want to stay in academics (peds and neuro always have job openings).

Reactions: 1 users
My advice would be to take a s.h.i.t job for a few years like an instructor position at a university or a corporate lab, get some experience, do a good job and move on to bigger things.

Being a Pathologist who hires other pathologists and heads my group, I would certainly consider you. I think those who overcome obstacles, learns and grows from those are individuals I can relate to and would be a welcome addition in my group. I wasn't naturally born with any innate or amazing skills and have learned much as a result of mistakes, failures and misadventure. I don't need a "perfect" person to look at specimens, I am almost irritated by them. I look for team players, availability and affability. Ability is important, but it is last.

Reactions: 1 user
You would have to be open and honest about it. People change, people improve, I wouldn't say any one-time issue disqualifies anyone (unless truly egregious).