WOULD ANYONE ACTUALLY RECOMMEND NEXT STEP PREP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kel148

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am really struggling to make a comprehensive MCAT study plan. Next Step seems like a good fit for me but is it actually legitimate? I haven't seen any reviews about them that don't seem fake, scripted, and/or written by individuals who are employed by them.

Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of them before looking into the 2015 MCAT on these forums. The tutor/advisor from NS, who is on this forum is pretty helpful and seems like a genuine individual who just wants to help out premeds taking the new exam. They've compiled a bunch of resources from various companies.

Reactions: 1 user
All prep company packages are a huge ripoff - you should just save the massive $$ and go through a set of books yourself along a self-generated custom schedule. The courses expect you to put in a lot of effort outside their classroom/tutor hours anyways, so the reasoning I always hear that "this $2,000 course will really keep me on top of my **** when I'd otherwise slack off/be lost" is nonsense. If you're capable of pulling a strong GPA you should be more than capable of building a study schedule and sticking to it, and by self-studying you can allocate time much more efficiently with more hours on topics you struggle more in. It's quite simple to take a practice test and recognize when you get multiple questions in the same subject wrong.

That said, no experience with NS in particular.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
All prep company packages are a huge ripoff - you should just save the massive $$ and go through a set of books yourself along a self-generated custom schedule. The courses expect you to put in a lot of effort outside their classroom/tutor hours anyways, so the reasoning I always hear that "this $2,000 course will really keep me on top of my **** when I'd otherwise slack off/be lost" is nonsense. If you're capable of pulling a strong GPA you should be more than capable of building a study schedule and sticking to it, and by self-studying you can allocate time much more efficiently with more hours on topics you struggle more in. It's quite simple to take a practice test and recognize when you get multiple questions in the same subject wrong.

That said, no experience with NS in particular.
Agree. A testing company will not keep you motivated to study yourself and they will not help you understand anything easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
have not seen their Chemistry book and not sure how the tutoring works but seems like a legit company that puts in effort. Their style reminds me of TPR stuff in that most of the time after you review a passage they give a detailed breakdown on the thought process involved in question.

To be honest being only about 18 days from my test date, I probably won't experiment with a different company at this point. Just sticking with my TPR books/science workbook (have done 6 TPR FLs, I think I have had enough of them lol especially since I was pretty happy with my improvement on my last 3 compared to the first 3) and AAMC FL/Official Guide/Old Self Assessment and old exams.

Also for me because I never heard of it prior to the 2015 MCAT, I'm still a skeptic even though they have been very helpful. Those few threads questioning their credibility that appear every once in awhile aren't that appealing either.

Don't go with Next Step Prep-
They use dishonest marketing tactics to lure people in and their new MCAT-2015 books are riddled with a disproportionately high amount of inaccuracies, errors and typos compared to that of more well-established companies-especially their Chem book, it's straight up garbage. For the new MCAT 2015, use Khan Academy (free, online), Varsity Tutors (free, online) and Official AAMC materials. Khan Academy offers legit the same thing as any test-prep company, including Next Step Prep, except for free and without having to lug around tons of books. You can even add your parent/friend as a coach, allowing them to track your progress. This also eliminates the need for an expensive tutor. If you're the type of person that needs to have a physical book to reference and problem-shoot trouble areas, go with a subject book from a well-established company like The Princeton Review or Kaplan, if any at all. No test prep company is paying me to write this post (unlike many other SDN posts I've read), but personally, I've found The Princeton Review's books to be awesome- no errors, and very accurate regarding the level of difficulty expected. Berkeley Review also has a legendary reputation, but the new 2015 exam has rendered their materials obsolete (mainly for formatting and content coverage issues).

They do look very skeptical. Have you done tutoring with them?

I never read their content books, but I personally loved NS full lengths and they're even starting a qbank now. I recommend them. It was one of the FL's I found representative of the actual exam compared to other full lengths.

The best full lengths (I just took the real exam) are NS, EK, and Altius. Of course, AAMC is always best.

Thanks for the reply everyone, I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the tutoring program (so much money! :()

Tutoring programs are a huge waste of money. If OP is asking about books, then NS is no better than Kaplan or EK or TBR. They're all the same in terms of content review and about the same in terms of FLs (that is, not representative). The available materials can be ranked as follows: AAMC > Khan Academy (B/BC and P/S only) > test prep companies.

Hey everyone,

I am really struggling to make a comprehensive MCAT study plan. Next Step seems like a good fit for me but is it actually legitimate? I haven't seen any reviews about them that don't seem fake, scripted, and/or written by individuals who are employed by them.

Thanks in Advance

I never used nextstep tutoring, just their books and tests. The books were ok. they had tons of practice Qs but the black and white pictures and extra information I was not sure was going to be on the real exam turned me off. I ended up using a mix of EK and TPR for content review.

However, their practice/strategy books and FLs were right on point. Nextstep has ~ 5 books just dedicated to practice qs and strategy so I would recommend those over the content books since, aside from the sheer # of practice Q, the nextstep content books don't really have any major advantage over Kaplan, tpr, ek. I personally loved EK for most, but used TPR for psychology.

I took a bunch of different practice exams and NS and EK were head and shoulders above the rest. They both were very representative of the AAMC in terms of style and tone. The difficulty I can say much because we only have 2 aamc exams but the general SDN consensus is that they are tougher than the AAMC exams, I would agree.

The Khan videos are free and it shows. Almost all their videos pre-date the new mcat so you end up watching hours and hours of material that will never show up on the exam. The same errors I saw when I used them for bio, genetics 3 years ago are still there. Unless you have a serious hole in your science knowledge, I'd avoid them as a primary content study resource. Their psych sociology stuff is probably the most useful.

The khan passages are also free and you also get what you pay for. Most of them have small errors, pictures that do not match what the aamc uses, and very poor or inadequate explanations. When I would reach out regarding the many errors or typos I saw, I never got feedback from Khan. I think once they got all the initial materials up, they moved on. Khan is a massive company and the mcat is not a priority to them, it never will be. I do appreciate the free angle though.

Overall Khan passages are like their videos, a decent supplement but they are useless in terms of learning to read passages, attack questions, and do timed practice, which is the most important part of getting ready for the exam.

The NS and EK full lengths were great. Nothing will beat the AAMC ever but it seems to be quite easy to capture their same style, tone and difficulty. One of my organic professors wrote some mcat-style Qs for us one semester and they were pretty good. Kaplan and some other companies seem to have mastered it prior to the exam change and I don't think that going to be any different moving forward. It is clear that some companies have done a better job at adapting quickly to the new style and feel of the exam, go with them. No matter whose exams you use though, ignore your scaled score. This is where every company is pulling stuff out of thin air. Not even the aamc has been able to predict and stick to their score forecasts. If the aamc is f-ing up, then what do you think the prep companies are doing? it will years of testing before the aamc can have reliable score curves/charts whatever you want to call them, and prep companies will likely need to wait even longer. Stick with analyzing your % correct.

The AAMC is in no rush to come out with more material it seems. Half of the "new" passages they have released are just recycled from the old tests they used to sell. This is fine as at least it is still relevant and means less new stuff to worry about but it shows even the AAMC, put $ near t the top of their priority as well.

Sure, many smart kids can teach themselves and be fine, but many more of us need structure, organization or even study help to do our best on this exam. Do not feel bad if you want to take a class or tutoring. College, med school, the mcat, you will always do the bulk of the work on your own, but we all end up needing some structure and direction, and that costs $. Someone has an expertise you don''t, you pay them. You won't magically get their expertise on your own just be working real hard. And if you do every succeed at it, you likely wasted a tone of time and effort figuring it out on your own. Acknowledging the authorities in a given area and listening to professional advice is just smart thinking. With the mcat, I was self-studying, but it helped to have a schedule and set of reliable resources to work from. If you need more go for it. If you need less, go for it.

Overall AAMC Section Bank > AAMC Full Lengths > AAMC OG > AAMC Q pack > nextstep/EK FL >>> everything else

For anyone still using this thread the class is a waste of money. It's new. Consider investing in their tutoring but don't bother losing money to their prep course. Go with a more trusted and established prep class. An upsetting mistake on my part