Worth finishing masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon143

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a Clinical Psychology PhD program at the end of the month. I've been debating whether it's worth it for me to finish a Master of Liberal Arts degree (Psychology concentration) from Harvard Extension School.
  • I'm going to get a masters en route to the PhD anyway (hopefully, if all goes well)
  • The adviser is not easy to work with, and there are many students who agree with me. There is only *one* adviser for all of psychology, and she appears to have limited capacity in understanding certain research domains. Which is understandable, given that her role at this unusual program is different from the typical MA/MS thesis programs. (How can there be only one adviser for all psych students who are likely interested in many different topics?) But basically, she has been a roadblock. I proposed a study that utilized a pre-existing dataset, and she called it the "reverse" way of getting to an idea.. which I do understand, but I know PLENTY of students use already-collected data for masters! Then, I proposed another idea but it turns out is just a bit too complex. So that one is partly my fault, and definitely something for me to keep in mind for the future reg my PhD. Anyway, this back and forth and developing a proposal to her liking spans almost two years.
Is it even worth finishing this degree? It would be nice to keep the Harvard email address, attend the huge graduation, and have a degree I worked very hard to get..

I had hoped to be significantly on my way to getting the Masters by this point, but I got in a PhD program without it, so will forgoing this now affect me in the future?

Looking back, I really don't think taking the courses helped my chances and I would have been better off not enrolling. Just kinda sucks to have wasted that time and money, and also field others' questions about what happened with this degree.

This situation has also made me quite nervous, in that if I can't finish this degree, can I really successfully complete a different masters project and then a doctoral dissertation? Any thoughts appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you make it through your PhD program, I don't see why it would matter, and I would view it as a sunk cost. How will you possibly have time to continue on with this at the same time you're in a PhD program? Don't sacrifice the quality of learning int eh PhD program because you're spending time trudging uphill with this MLA degree. If you were close to being finished with a thesis, I would probably say keep going, since that could probably count for your thesis in the PhD program assuming they approved its quality. But sounds like there would be a good chance of you basically working on 2 theses at the same time to meet the timeline requirements of your PhD program, which sounds like the worst. Given the point you're at, I'd chalk it up to one of those life-learning experiences. If anyone questions you about it in the future, saying "I got into a PhD program that woudl actually allow me to get licensed and decided to switch my focus and money towards that" seems like a totally reasonable answer. Again assuming you finish your PhD you will still have a degree you worked very hard to get, and get to attend a huge graduation-- twice, if you want, since technically you can attend graduation after you get your masters en route to the PhD. Knowing when to switch directions is just as important a life skill as being able to persevere when it makes sense to do that. Sounds like the former rather than the latter to me.

I had hoped to be significantly on my way to getting the Masters by this point, but I got in a PhD program without it, so will forgoing this now affect me in the future?

None of this will really matter by the time you earn your Ph.D. Even if you thought it was profitable to continue to collaborate with your adviser, it doesn't sound like you stand to benefit from continuing this MLA program. Are you sure your Ph.D. program even allows you to be enrolled in a separate graduate program elsewhere?

Anyway, this back and forth and developing a proposal to her liking spans almost two years.

Wow. You could have an actual master's degree in hand in the same amount of time. I would just consider this a life lesson and move on.

This situation has also made me quite nervous, in that if I can't finish this degree, can I really successfully complete a different masters project and then a doctoral dissertation?

What is your doctoral program's attrition rate? Assuming it's low, trust that they are reasonably good at picking candidates who are likely to finish and the odds are greatly on your side. It sounds like you got some shoddy advising from someone who's not that invested in your career success. A Ph.D. program mentor is likely to be much more invested and proactive. You're going to be OK.

Looking back, I really don't think taking the courses helped my chances and I would have been better off not enrolling. Just kinda sucks to have wasted that time and money, and also field others' questions about what happened with this degree.

It does suck. But what would suck more - quitting now and eating the sunk costs, or continuing to funnel time and energy toward a degree that won't matter in the end (and away from the one that will matter)?

Last edited by a moderator:
@singasongofjoy @MamaPhD Thank you for your thoughts. You brought up some great points (like that in 2 years I could've gotten a real masters at another program!). I will most 99% not be finishing the program.

Reactions: 1 user