Worth explaining 2.3 GPA from first 2 years of college in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prometheus123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first 2.5 years of college, my GPA was 2.3. Then I took 4 years off, worked, travelled, and eventually found that my calling was medicine. I transferred to a new college to do my pre-reqs and finish my Bachelor's degree. Since transferring, I've gotten a GPA on my new grades of 3.93. This averages out so my overall GPA is now 3.2.

Should I explain those 2.5 years of bad grades in my personal statement? Also, how should I explain it? Below are two different explanation paragraphs:

Version 1:

"...The purpose I have chosen for my life is to use medicine and research to help people overcome suffering and thrive. It was not always this way for me. I entered college confused and lost, struggling to find my way. Two years into my college experience, it was clear to me that without a heart-felt purpose to guide me, I was simply going through the motions. I left school to find a better way."

Version 2:

"In retrospect, I was having less obvious symptoms from gluten sensitivity for years, which held me back during my first 2.5 years of college. However, resolving my condition enabled me to thrive as a premed student."

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't mention it in a personal statement at all

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you mean non-celiac gluten sensitivity, definitely don't use #2. Too much bias against gluten-free people, unfortunately.

#1 is a clever way of incorporating it.
#2 sounds like a lame excuse for poor performance.(not saying it is in anyway what so ever, I know this can be serious, but it makes it sound this way)

Overall, great upward trend and good for you turning it around. With that being said your PS will likely not even be read by many schools bc you will be screened out due to low gpa. UNLESS, you are URM

#1 is a clever way of incorporating it.
#2 sounds like a lame excuse for poor performance.(not saying it is in anyway what so ever, I know this can be serious, but it makes it sound this way)

Overall, great upward trend and good for you turning it around. With that being said your PS will likely not even be read by many schools bc you will be screened out due to low gpa. UNLESS, you are URM

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep #1. I am not URM, but I do have a 97th percentile MCAT score (519), so hopefully some will take a look.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming you mean non-celiac gluten sensitivity, definitely don't use #2. Too much bias against gluten-free people, unfortunately.

Yeah, I was wondering about this. It is a real thing, but I kept thinking of the gluten free duck video on YouTube and cringing.

Yeah, I was wondering about this. It is a real thing, but I kept thinking of the gluten free duck video on YouTube and cringing.

Oh I definitely believe it's a real thing, I'm gluten-free too. Just wish others were less judgmental!