Working Overnight as a new pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lakers03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Im going to graduate in May, and I got an offer with CVS in a highly desired location... BUT I have to work overnight.

I dont mind overnight in the location that Im in (it beats being in the boondocks). But how long do I have to work overnight before I can start requesting to have daytime hours.

And does working overnight entail working 7 on/off or can I just work the regular 40 hours a week?

Members don't see this ad.

So Im going to graduate in May, and I got an offer with CVS in a highly desired location... BUT I have to work overnight.

I dont mind overnight in the location that Im in (it beats being in the boondocks). But how long do I have to work overnight before I can start requesting to have daytime hours.

And does working overnight entail working 7 on/off or can I just work the regular 40 hours a week?

It's 7 on & 7 off. How long you stay on overnights depends on your district, your boss and the general job market....

You act like it's a bad thing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno all the exacts about the overnight deal at CVS, but in my area, we have more people wanting to do overnights than we have open positions. The night gig isn't too bad either.... 7 on 7 off so its like you could take vacation every other week if you wanted. The week you actually use you vacation, you have the week before and after off, so you're out for 21 days.... sweet!:D Insurances companies and Dr. Offices aren't open 3rd shift, so have fun with that day shift. I've worked night shift a few times and you typically stay busy until about 1am, then its dead until about 7 am. During that time, most stores will have you do some compounding, paperwork activities and general housekeeping activities. The hardest part for me was the after I got off work in the morning. You come home, and you have light coming in the room making it hard to sleep. My neighbor decided to mow the yard one time, etc. Another thing to keep in mind and they probably won't let you off nights to go to days unless they have someone that can replace you on nights.

Dunno all the exacts about the overnight deal at CVS, but in my area, we have more people wanting to do overnights than we have open positions. The night gig isn't too bad either.... 7 on 7 off so its like you could take vacation every other week if you wanted. The week you actually use you vacation, you have the week before and after off, so you're out for 21 days.... sweet!:D Insurances companies and Dr. Offices aren't open 3rd shift, so have fun with that day shift. I've worked night shift a few times and you typically stay busy until about 1am, then its dead until about 7 am. During that time, most stores will have you do some compounding, paperwork activities and general housekeeping activities. The hardest part for me was the after I got off work in the morning. You come home, and you have light coming in the room making it hard to sleep. My neighbor decided to mow the yard one time, etc. Another thing to keep in mind and they probably won't let you off nights to go to days unless they have someone that can replace you on nights.
You have to take 2 weeks of vacation to get the 3 weeks off. Not 1 week. Buts it's still good especially if you want a long vacation or cruise. The night shift is really bad for your health. It's a good gig if you don't mind getting diabetes and dying of a heart attack by 50. If you want to go back to days forget it... Unless you pull a dr's note or you find a day person to swap jobs with.

You have to take 2 weeks of vacation to get the 3 weeks off. Not 1 week. Buts it's still good especially if you want a long vacation or cruise. The night shift is really bad for your health. It's a good gig if you don't mind getting diabetes and dying of a heart attack by 50. If you want to go back to days forget it... Unless you pull a dr's note or you find a day person to swap jobs with.

Yeah, I agree there is probably a long-term health consequence, but I have worked with a pharmacist doing nights for over 20+ years with no major health issues yet. But yeah, take your week off and it counts as 2 weeks pay. Around here people don't see to mind doing it though, its just not for me.

I was so happy when I got the overnight position; in fact, I specifically asked my pharmacy recruiter for the chain "I am not working for the company if you don't have an overnight position." Then a week later someone who had been working for 30 years graveyard got a stroke and couldn't make it back to work. He now has short term memory problem. He was very healthy, always ate the right stuff and went to gym every other day >_>;

I do the graveyard for the many overtime shifts I could take... Netted me around 1/3 of a million $ in 2 years and 2 months. Now, since overtime is no longer available for me (Thanks for pharmacist saturation...), I am thinking of switching daytime to get some life.

I was so happy when I got the overnight position; in fact, I specifically asked my pharmacy recruiter for the chain "I am not working for the company if you don't have an overnight position." Then a week later someone who had been working for 30 years graveyard got a stroke and couldn't make it back to work. He now has short term memory problem. He was very healthy, always ate the right stuff and went to gym every other day >_>;

I do the graveyard for the many overtime shifts I could take... Netted me around 1/3 of a million $ in 2 years and 2 months. Now, since overtime is no longer available for me (Thanks for pharmacist saturation...), I am thinking of switching daytime to get some life.
If I get this 2nd job and sign up for all of the 'time' available, I would make what you're talking about - $175K/year.

If I get this 2nd job and sign up for all of the 'time' available, I would make what you're talking about - $175K/year.
Approximately how many hours would you have to work weekly though? 60? It's definately doable and sounds intriguing, especially if your single with not too many family commitments.

Approximately how many hours would you have to work weekly though? 60? It's definately doable and sounds intriguing, especially if your single with not too many family commitments.
You have to be available after-hours...

$175k/yr in OT pay or total pay? Momus' wording seems to suggest in OT pay

$175k/yr in OT pay or total pay? Momus' wording seems to suggest in OT pay
It's total pay. Graveyard pharmacists usually have a week off at a time, so they can work overtime or pick up a second job and work on their time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read it as cocoa and it made me want some with marshmellows!
Yum... hot chocolate from RaceTrak is the best! They have this canister of mini marshmallows that you can pour on your hot chocolate, of which I usually pour a layer an inch or more thick. :love:

I am almost certain CVS will be offering me an overnight position soon. My question, for any practitioners out there, what kind of salary incentive are overnight pharmacist paid, if any? I am eager for a position but I don't want to be taken advantage of. And they told me it would be roughly 7pm-7am or 9am-9pm, 7 days on 7 days off.

Retail normally $4-6 extra/hr

Does your health only become an issue if you try to flip flop between sleeping at night to day during your time off? Or would you be okay if you literally stayed as a vampire the entire job?

Does your health only become an issue if you try to flip flop between sleeping at night to day during your time off? Or would you be okay if you literally stayed as a vampire the entire job?

Yes, increased risk of cardiac disease... due to messed up circadian rythm. That's why higher pay and no life for the week you are on.

Yes, increased risk of cardiac disease... due to messed up circadian rythm. That's why higher pay and no life for the week you are on.

This applies if you try to flip flop your waking hours. But what if you stay a vampire even on your week off?

Harder on your body yes, but the actual job is maybe 25% as difficult as working day shifts. If you are not a high maintenance sleeper, nights is the best gig possible in pharmacy.

I recently picked up some night shifts (did a 7 on and 7 off shift). Picked up 5 days of work on my days off. Cleared $4500. Was a good week.

Plus, I didn't have to do all that much on my nights. Was stressful at some times, but manageable.

big box paid time and 1/2 for the base grave yard rate during the shortage years. Therefore in California the graveyard guy got 80/hr x 8 then 120/hr thereafter [ last check circa 2000]. If adjusted for today under the shortage conditions that would be 98/hr and 147/hr for anything over 8 hours. It wasn't worth it to me then and it isn't worth it to me now.

Yes, some pharmacists really do flourish working graveyard plus per diem on days off. Why? The external motivation propels them.:greedy: Their unmatched drive deserves the big bucks IMO. Five dollars extra is highway robbery :smack:and big box is friggen lovin life:rofl:. I really hope you guys come together and throw those fu3kers for a loop one day. :punch:

Meanwhile my internal motivation requirements and my ego has me over a barrel so I live like a pauper. :unsure:The point is if anyone finds the graveyard unbearable that perspective is more common than not. I say DO IT if you want and if you can. But if you can't don't get sick over it.:vomit:
You are too young. :biglove:

I'm currently doing 7 on 7 off at big chain retail and 6 days at a successful independent on my week off. I love every minute of it.