Working in industry full time and applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuanjing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interviews can be any day of the week, but usually (until the late game phase) you'll get a choice of what day you want to schedule. What day you pick is kind of up to you. An interview on a Monday or a Friday lets you get away with only missing one day of work, if you work a regular 9-5. If you have a different schedule, then obviously you need to keep that in mind. You'll be stuck taking days off no matter what you do, as Saturday and Sunday interviews are basically nonexistent. If you're traveling during winter months, there's also the chance your flight/bus/drive might be delayed by weather.

What you tell your employer is likewise rather dependent on your situation. You're in a bit of a tough spot starting a new job at the same time as potentially needing to take multiple days off, and obviously if you get into school your time at that new job is limited. Did your employer know when you were hired that this was your trajectory?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked full time while MCAT studying, applying, and interviewing and it was honestly no problem. I'm fortunate enough to get 3 weeks annual vacation, and my interviews were at least 2 weeks in advance so I just scheduled "long weekends" and went to the interviews without telling my company my true intentions.

Honestly, if you are sincere about going into medical school, you shouldn't worry about what your current company thinks about you taking a day or two off here and there. If you have to take the time off to go to an interview, your chances of getting in are already looking pretty good!

Reactions: 1 users
I worked full time while MCAT studying, applying, and interviewing and it was honestly no problem. I'm fortunate enough to get 3 weeks annual vacation, and my interviews were at least 2 weeks in advance so I just scheduled "long weekends" and went to the interviews without telling my company my true intentions.

Honestly, if you are sincere about going into medical school, you shouldn't worry about what your current company thinks about you taking a day or two off here and there. If you have to take the time off to go to an interview, your chances of getting in are already looking pretty good!
Agree

Reactions: 1 user