Working as a DO in Australia for a little while, even possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a question here. I will be a DO from a USA accredited osteopathic school and was wondering if it was possible to work a half year or so in Australia after residency. I know Australia doesn't have DO's there.... but would I be able to work in a hospital overseas as a doctor? Seems like an amazing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Australia does seem to recognize US DOs.
With all the time, money, and bureaucracy involved, I highly doubt it would be worth it unless you plan to work there for a long period of time or even permanently. All of this even requires a work visa which I'm sure isn't a cakewalk to get either.

To me it sounds like a lot of work just for a 6 month stay.

The difficulty in gaining licensure really appears to vary by country. At best, it's viewed as equal to an MD and at worst you're viewed as an osteopath. Some countries recognize US licenses while others, namely some European countries, will require that you go through additional schooling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Australia does seem to recognize US DOs.
With all the time, money, and bureaucracy involved, I highly doubt it would be worth it unless you plan to work there for a long period of time or even permanently. All of this even requires a work visa which I'm sure isn't a cakewalk to get either.

To me it sounds like a lot of work just for a 6 month stay.

The difficulty in gaining licensure really appears to vary by country. At best, it's viewed as equal to an MD and at worst you're viewed as an osteopath. Some countries recognize US licenses while others, namely some European countries, will require that you go through additional schooling.
There are locum agencies that sort everything out for you. In Australia, DOs are equivalent to MDs, and due to butthurt by local osteopaths are legally not allowed to call themselves anything related to osteopathy and are unable to perform OMM.

You can go through a locums group. I think that would be the best route unless you are wanting to move there permanently. The options are limited though depending on your medical specialty. Prefer IM/EM/FM etc
International locum tenens in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Pacific Islands, and the Caribbean - Global Medical Staffing
I scribed for a DO ER doc that did this and went to Australia for 6 months. They even paid for him and his family to stay in a nice house.

I scribed for a DO ER doc that did this and went to Australia for 6 months. They even paid for him and his family to stay in a nice house.

Awesome, I'm glad that they recognize DO's. I'm definitely going to look into the locum in Australia. Did he say he liked it? Decent time off or was he pretty much working all week?

Awesome, I'm glad that they recognize DO's. I'm definitely going to look into the locum in Australia. Did he say he liked it? Decent time off or was he pretty much working all week?
Unfortunately I don't know any specifics other than he said it was "awesome".

Reactions: 1 user