MPH work experience in pubic health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am noticing a lot of mph program requires some sort of public health work experience, with a bio degre what kind of jobs can I do that would fulfill that requirement

Members don't see this ad.

Public health is very broad, I'm sure you can make a case for anything remotely health-related. Hospitals, health departments, biotech companies, even social service agencies, etc. You can also ask some of the schools you're applying to what they prefer. But in my experience, they just want to see that you've done something and know a bit of what you're getting into.

I got my bachelors in biology as well. I worked in the hospital as a medical technician for a year before going into my mph. Honestly any healthcare or patient care field counts.

Also have my degree in biology and have worked pretty much exclusively within the medical field rather than the public health field. I wrote about what I learned while working in medicine and how it sparked my passion for public health. For example, I worked as a scribe for awhile and just talked about how I saw firsthand how patients had difficulty accessing care, etc., etc. It's not too difficult to relate medical experiences to public health.