Work during premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shruggs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So some things didn't go as planned and now i need to find a job to serve as a sustainable source of income that I can use to pay for college. I do not want to get student loans, but my parents are unwilling to pay for my tuition so if I do not work, I will end up with ~$50000 debt by the end of my senior year. (Hopefully I can get a larger scholarship from my departments next year)

I'm a 1st year premed student double majoring in biochem and music performance (already accepted to both majors), wondering about what premed related jobs I could look into.
Being a double major, I will inevitably end up staying on campus for 10 hours straight on certain days (there were no classes left open for freshman and I had to literally take 2 chem classes + music + symphony on the same day), taking 5 classes at a time.
If there are any suggestions as to what part-time job I could look into that could potentially allow me to be flexible (ex. Work more hours on weekends and certain days of the week) that would be great. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest taking less debt and finding a scribing job for some form of income. Also you can save time and debt by dropping one of the majors.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not a typical premed job, but if your music skills are strong enough to major in music performance, I'd say you could give lessons locally in whatever instrument(s) you play during class breaks and/or on the weekends. If you don't have any previous work history, I'd say that's probably the highest paying gig you could find, and you could pick your own hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I work as a pharmacy tech. But if you don't have any work experience or clinical volunteering these jobs are hard to get. Tons are going after these jobs with experience.

Find a job through your school, like at the gym, library or administration. Don't work more than 10 hours a week (15 at most!), so that you can focus on your grades.

I worked all my semesters (except for 1st semester Freshman year) so it's definitely doable. For the first two years, I was a optometrist assistant and I'm currently scribing now.

Look into medical assistant positions that don't require a license (some clinics directly train you with patient contact). If you can't find any positions like that around your area, try scribing (though most only pay $9-10/hr).

Hello everyone!

So some things didn't go as planned and now i need to find a job to serve as a sustainable source of income that I can use to pay for college. I do not want to get student loans, but my parents are unwilling to pay for my tuition so if I do not work, I will end up with ~$50000 debt by the end of my senior year. (Hopefully I can get a larger scholarship from my departments next year)

I'm a 1st year premed student double majoring in biochem and music performance (already accepted to both majors), wondering about what premed related jobs I could look into.
Being a double major, I will inevitably end up staying on campus for 10 hours straight on certain days (there were no classes left open for freshman and I had to literally take 2 chem classes + music + symphony on the same day), taking 5 classes at a time.
If there are any suggestions as to what part-time job I could look into that could potentially allow me to be flexible (ex. Work more hours on weekends and certain days of the week) that would be great. :)
You might consider getting emt cert; you could then get hired in er.

Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

You might consider getting emt cert; you could then get hired in er.
Hello everyone!

Seems like part of your financial aid package should give you a work study option; this would be helpful in reducing travel time and expense, and might even afford you some opportunities for additional study time.

I would be wary of taking two Chem classes at once... they're usually your most difficult class and it sounds like you don't have much time as it is.

I'd drop biochem and just do music. Save time, money and potentially your GPA

Scribe in an ER. Your fellow scribes will be overjoyed to hear you're basically only available on weekends lol.

It's such a foreign concept to me that people don't work during school- how do you people eat, have a phone, car, place to live, etc? I've been married since 19, and now have 2 kids. I worked 48-60 hours during most of my undergrad. Maintained a 3.7+ during this time. Quit my job to have time to add the EC's, but even then I own my own business and teach music.
It's definitely doable. Just have to want it.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know most don't have kids, but even still, you've gotta eat, right?
Most people have at least some financial support from their parents. Many have complete financial support from them.

I know most don't have kids, but even still, you've gotta eat, right?
I would say that MOST premeds are supported by their parents through undergrad. This was the case with me actually, but I was still expected to work for somewhat arbitrary reasons lol.

I would say that MOST premeds are supported by their parents through undergrad. This was the case with me actually, but I was still expected to work.
I didn't have to work at all, so didn't, since my parents paid for everything, tuition, housing, expenses, books, etc. But I recognize that I was privileged in that regard.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't have to work at all, so didn't, since my parents paid for everything, tuition, housing, expenses, books, etc. But I recognize that I was privileged in that regard.
Oh yeah I mean I don't think this makes you privileged per say. It makes you the norm lol.

lol...working may be overrated.

Hello everyone!

This is my 2 cents:

Pick ONE major. Music performance is very time-demanding. If you add in a second major and a JOB, you'll be lacking sleep and focus.

What happened? It's August. Up until now, who was going to pay for your college costs? Were your parents going to pay and now suddenly they've abandoned the idea? Will your parents pay for anything?

Did you get any financial aid from your college at all? If so, how much? What is your net cost?

Is somebody going to cosign the loans you'd need beyond fed loans ($5500 for freshman year)?

You don't want loans (and that's understandable as a premed), but....please tell us....exactly how much money do you need to come up with for this year's college/living costs?

Another possibility is to take a gap year (withdraw and don't take any classes anywhere), and reapply to schools that will give you large academic scholarships for your SAT/ACT scores and GPA.

Getting scholarships as a continuing student is very difficult. The amounts, if lucky, will be small. Schools target their best scholarships to incoming freshmen as recruiting tools.

but my parents are unwilling to pay for my tuition so if I do not work, I will end up with ~$50000 debt by the end of my senior yea

Are you planning to commute from home? $50k isn't much for a 4 year education unless you're commuting. An instate public can be $20k-35k per year if dorming

I tell everyone the same thing. Get an on campus job that requires very little work like monitoring a computer lab, working at the library, checking people in at the gym, and then bring books and study!

I worked as an EMT and in my schools computer lab. Even though I made $2.50 an hour less working for the school it was still a way better job. The benefit of not having to drive to and from work, not having to work 8, 12 or 16 hour shifts, not having to do overnights etc. is so much better if youre just looking for money. EMT life just isnt conducive to student life. Not impossible just not good

It's such a foreign concept to me that people don't work during school- how do you people eat, have a phone, car, place to live, etc? I've been married since 19, and now have 2 kids. I worked 48-60 hours during most of my undergrad. Maintained a 3.7+ during this time. Quit my job to have time to add the EC's, but even then I own my own business and teach music.
It's definitely doable. Just have to want it.

Right. I've always worked 25-30 hours. Sometimes more.

First go at college, I was not focused. I worked as an OR tech about 30 hours per week. I loved that job and felt like it was my way to experience medicine before med school. Did great at my job, but did not really take school seriously.

Second go around, extremely focused. Was already in the military, so was working 80 hour weeks while taking 12 credits. Did much, much better despite working much more (and having to take care of two kids under two years old).

My point is that if you are focused on your goal, you can still do well and work so that you can feed yourself and have less debt.

Hello everyone!

Consider getting your EMT certification. I am going into my Sophomore year and am currently working in the Emergency Room as a tech. It's great experience, good pay, and doesn't feel like "work". Plus, you get to know a lot of docs!