Woops what do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I put the sodium bicarbonate and lansoprazole beads and mixed with water without crushing the beads first now they won't dissolve... FML just restart? Walgreens btw this was my first ever overnight shift... great start amirite... sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

If something does not dissolve in water, try alcohol, or oil. One solvent bounds to work.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Am i missing something? I never crush the beads and they always dissolve in like 20-30 minutes

Am i missing something? I never crush the beads and they always dissolve in like 20-30 minutes
My techs do all the work :) but when I used to make Prilosec suspension as a tech - I just dumped in the bicarb and shook it like hell

Work smart not hard. A little heat and a stir bar come to mind...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No stirbar or heat sadly (lucky me). I tried agitating it with a glass stir rod for a few minutes but nothing. Tried shaking it vigorously for minutes as well, nothing.

I've never done it with the bicarb powder, we just use the vials of 8.4% bicarb and it always mixes fine. Just have to let it sit for a while, occasionally shake it up and it will dissolve.

I know the official recipe does say to use a higher concentration of bicarb to dissolve the granules, then dilute it down to final concentration, which does make sense. I'm going to wager you incorrectly measured how much bicarb was needed, because at least SOME of it should be dissolving.

I've never done it with the bicarb powder, we just use the vials of 8.4% bicarb and it always mixes fine. Just have to let it sit for a while, occasionally shake it up and it will dissolve.

I know the official recipe does say to use a higher concentration of bicarb to dissolve the granules, then dilute it down to final concentration, which does make sense. I'm going to wager you incorrectly measured how much bicarb was needed, because at least SOME of it should be dissolving.

It was like 25 gram bicarb per 30 capsule lansoprazole qs to 300 ml

Good luck finding the 8.4% sodium bicarbonate pretty soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's out everywhere... physicians asking "can't you just make some more out of baking soda in the pharmacy?"...

yes you can make it out of baking soda off the shelf of the grocery aisle (sodium bicarbonate usp). We use baking soda off the shelves instead of ordering sodium bicarb powder from fagron or medisca

yes you can make it out of baking soda off the shelf of the grocery aisle (sodium bicarbonate usp). We use baking soda off the shelves instead of ordering sodium bicarb powder from fagron or medisca

Is it really USP if it is off the grocery store isle? Or maybe you are joking and I am not catching on?

Is it really USP if it is off the grocery store isle? Or maybe you are joking and I am not catching on?
It certainly is USP. I used it when there was a shortage of sodium bicarb liquid.

Reactions: 1 user
It certainly is USP. I used it when there was a shortage of sodium bicarb liquid.

I am not seeing the USP designation anywhere on the packaging (obviously I don't know the specific product packaging you used though).

Amazon product

I am not seeing the USP designation anywhere on the packaging (obviously I don't know the specific product packaging you used though).

Amazon product

the one off the ahelf at WAG says sodium bicarbonate USP as the active ingredient on the back

the one off the ahelf at WAG says sodium bicarbonate USP as the active ingredient on the back
I was at Walgreens at the time. Their store brand does have the designation. Other brands might not be usp.

Just looked in my fridge: Arm & Hammer states "sodium bicarbonate 100%" with no mention of USP anywhere on the box.

Don't crush, just add everything together and let it sit there for like 45 mins.

I honestly did not know that.

Still a little weary about using that/compounding for intravenous injection into someone.

Last edited:
Don't crush, just add everything together and let it sit there for like 45 mins.
I did this at the start of my overnight shift but after a few hours nothing was dissolving, tried to agitate it and left for a few more hours beads were still sitting on the bottom. I just gave up and redid it this time titrating like crazy in porcelain till it was almost paste-like even then small bits were floating around... Sigh

Ez, just call the manufacturer and ask if it can be used to compound IV. xD
Maybe it's just me and how I ask, but every time I call a manufacturer looking for additional information I just get the package insert read back to me.

Maybe it's just me and how I ask, but every time I call a manufacturer looking for additional information I just get the package insert read back to me.

I have had shockingly good luck the few times I have called. I always figured I would get a generic script read back at me but I have had some good info given to me. Of course I have no way to verify what they told me but at least it is better than nothing.

I did this at the start of my overnight shift but after a few hours nothing was dissolving, tried to agitate it and left for a few more hours beads were still sitting on the bottom. I just gave up and redid it this time titrating like crazy in porcelain till it was almost paste-like even then small bits were floating around... Sigh

Did you refrigerate? Refrigeration and letting it sit 45 minutes or so is the key to dissolving. If you refrigerated and it still didn't dissolve, then I don't know, that has always worked for me.

Dissolve 3 teaspoons of baking soda in 240 ml of distilled water is how we made the sodium bicarb 8.4% for compounding. Cvs had their own brand of baking soda.

Now it is easier to just order the FIRST lansoprazole compounding kits by cutis pharmaceuticals. Most insurances will pay for the kits if they pay for the compound.

Dissolve 3 teaspoons of baking soda in 240 ml of distilled water is how we made the sodium bicarb 8.4% for compounding. Cvs had their own brand of baking soda.

Now it is easier to just order the FIRST lansoprazole compounding kits by cutis pharmaceuticals. Most insurances will pay for the kits if they pay for the compound.
If there is any reassurance I believe on the kit itself, the kit says there may be some visible particles even after compounding as instructed on the back of the package