Wondering about the salary for 1st year vets in the U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnjason

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a foreign vet who recently got the ECFVG accreditation, so i can legally practice in the states now.

Now i am trying to get a job here in California, Los Angeles. My question is, how much does a 1st year vet earn in California, Los angeles?

The hospital that I work at as a tech now is offering me about 85000. I have a friend in Massachusetts, she works in Banfield and she earns 85000 as well. I was wondering if California Banfield would be paying more.

If u have any information regarding 1st year vets in Los Angeles or anywhere around L.A, I am open to opinions :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think $85k for a new grad in LA sounds low given the cost of living. I think a classmate of mine was offered somewhere around $130k to start out there. Also for what it's worth, rotating and specialty interns out there are making $41-45k on VIRMP and residents are making $47-60k in LA. given that these are typically some of the most poorly paid positions imaginable, its really saying something to see salaries that high. i don't know anything about LA or what truly is reasonable, but I do think for the cost of living associated with LA and California in general that $85k sounds underpaid.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually think $85k for a new grad in LA sounds low given the cost of living. I think a classmate of mine was offered somewhere around $130k to start out there. Also for what it's worth, rotating and specialty interns out there are making $41-45k on VIRMP and residents are making $47-60k in LA. given that these are typically some of the most poorly paid positions imaginable, its really saying something to see salaries that high. i don't know anything about LA or what truly is reasonable, but I do think for the cost of living associated with LA and California in general that $85k sounds underpaid.
Agreed. even a 1 bd is at least 2k not including utilities over half the time.