This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't suppose we can get away with printed tops like so:

MCY

MCY
These prints are too casual.
The plum color is fine, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello I'm pre-dental but we don't have a forum like this so I thought I would post this question here. Would wearing oxfords with a pantsuit be okay for an interview? The oxfords would look something like the picture. It's the shoes I'm iffy about.
upload_2017-8-13_16-3-53.png

Hello I'm pre-dental but we don't have a forum like this so I thought I would post this question here. Would wearing oxfords with a pantsuit be okay for an interview? The oxfords would look something like the picture. It's the shoes I'm iffy about. View attachment 222526
Please, no.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I'm pre-dental but we don't have a forum like this so I thought I would post this question here. Would wearing oxfords with a pantsuit be okay for an interview? The oxfords would look something like the picture. It's the shoes I'm iffy about. View attachment 222526
Oh my.

No, those are way too casual (and ugly but I'll concede that may be in the eye of the beholder).

Last edited:
I can't find the suit I want! There's a Romanian designer whose work I really like, but I found her on Etsy, and I'm hesitant to order a made-to-measurements suit from someone whose work I've never seen in person. My first interview (so far) isn't until the end of September, so I'm considering making my own if I don't find anything I love within the next week or so. And I HATE making suits!

I can't find the suit I want! There's a Romanian designer whose work I really like, but I found her on Etsy, and I'm hesitant to order a made-to-measurements suit from someone whose work I've never seen in person. My first interview (so far) isn't until the end of September, so I'm considering making my own if I don't find anything I love within the next week or so. And I HATE making suits!

However, this might be a great diversity angle

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I just got a navy dress suit and I already had an appropriate black bag and black shoes...do I need to get something different or would it be okay to pair black with navy? I know in the first post it said that black shoes work for anything, but I had always thought pairing black with blue was not ok. Just checking in.
Thanks!

I just got a navy dress suit and I already had an appropriate black bag and black shoes...do I need to get something different or would it be okay to pair black with navy? I know in the first post it said that black shoes work for anything, but I had always thought pairing black with blue was not ok. Just checking in.
Thanks!
Black with navy is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Would it be OK to layer two necklaces as in this photo? I nearly always wear pearls, but the second necklace is meaningful and I'd like to wear it as long as it is not over the top. I promise not to wear the sweater top...

IMG_9440-M.jpg

Would it be OK to layer two necklaces as in this photo? I nearly always wear pearls, but the second necklace is meaningful and I'd like to wear it as long as it is not over the top. I promise not to wear the sweater top...

IMG_9440-M.jpg
Personally, I wouldn't. With jewelry, less is more. Perhaps if it were on a longer chain it wouldn't compete with the pearls.

Please don't sew your own suit. It's so, so difficult to do well enough to look professional, to find a really high-quality suiting fabric, and to get the right interfacings, canvassing, shoulder pads, notions, etc. If it's anything less than perfectly done, you'll have wasted a LOT of time and money. Make the blouse instead.

Thanks!

Apparently, they are now OK. Didn't used to be, but now it's the norm.

Please don't sew your own suit. It's so, so difficult to do well enough to look professional, to find a really high-quality suiting fabric, and to get the right interfacings, canvassing, shoulder pads, notions, etc. If it's anything less than perfectly done, you'll have wasted a LOT of time and money. Make the blouse instead.

I know how hard it is. I work as a fashion designer (mostly custom formal wear), and I've made my fair share of suits before. That's why I said I hate making suits. I'm capable of doing it, I just don't want to. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It's the darned lapels on suits! Formal wear is easy and forgiving -- But it sounds like you know what you're getting yourself into. Curious though where you're able to find nice fabrics. And the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the darned lapels on suits! Formal wear is easy and forgiving -- But it sounds like you know what you're getting yourself into. Curious though where you're able to find nice fabrics. And the time.

Yessss... lapels are the worst! I've got a high-end local supplier that carries a few great suiting fabrics - I've got my eye on a beautiful merino wool that I think will carry me from fall into spring if necessary.

I'm done with classes and only scribing part-time. Once my kids go back to school next week, sewing will keep my mind occupied so I can stop convulsively checking my email for interview invites. Lol

I recommend this for religious jewelry as well.

Does this hold true for interviews at religious schools as well? I generally wear a crucifix, and I was going to trade it out for pearls at interviews, but wondered if a crucifix would be appropriate for Loyola, Lima Linda, etc.

Does this hold true for interviews at religious schools as well? I generally wear a crucifix, and I was going to trade it out for pearls at interviews, but wondered if a crucifix would be appropriate for Loyola, Lima Linda, etc.

For religious schools, I'd think a small crucifix would be very appropriate.

On previous pages I saw that navy or charcoal is preferred over black. Why is this?

Also, should hose be worn with a pantsuit?

On previous pages I saw that navy or charcoal is preferred over black. Why is this?

I believe the general wisdom is that black looks a little severe on most people, and charcoal is a little more flattering. Also, the all-black look can be reminiscent of funeral clothing, though slightly less so for women than men.

Hose should always be worn with a dress or skirt suit, and can be worn with a pantsuit for a smooth look and an extra layer, which might keep you just a bit warmer. But if you'd rather wear sheer socks, that's probably fine with a pantsuit.

For men, black is for funerals, weddings and "black tie."
There are so few options for women in the business professional category that black must be included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding hosiery with a pantsuit: I went full Grandma with hosiery socks. They were cheap and far more comfortable than full pantyhose.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

are nude heels frowned upon? I'll have a navy suit and I feel like nude would look better than black

I went to Ann Taylor in one of the Tanger Outlets, and they were having a "suit yourself" sale. $100 off 2 pieces or $150 off 3 pieces (shirt, skirt, blazer). I got a pretty good deal with it, $100 for a lovely charcoal suit. They had a ton of petite options, and a few good options for us non-petites. I'm really happy with this suit. It solved a lot of problems for me!

Reactions: 5 users
I went to Ann Taylor in one of the Tanger Outlets, and they were having a "suit yourself" sale. $100 off 2 pieces or $150 off 3 pieces (shirt, skirt, blazer). I got a pretty good deal with it, $100 for a lovely charcoal suit. They had a ton of petite options, and a few good options for us non-petites. I'm really happy with this suit. It solved a lot of problems for me!

Ugh, but do I really want to go to the outlet mall right at the end of summer when every Yankee and their mama is still on vacation down here at the beach where I live? #vacationdestinationproblems

For anyone still on the suit hunt, Ann Taylor is having a 40% sale on everything including suits, shirts and slacks!

Thoughts on this color combo? Sorry about picture quality.
420d165b509585425433fc816492769f.jpg
7d00a1774be314ca374b4358a1d8973e.jpg
There's nothing inherently wrong with the color combo, but most people (and all the wise ones) on SDN will be quick to tell you that you need a suit for interviews. An actual suit, where the jacket and the skirt/dress/pants are made of the exact same fabric. I am by no means an expert, and am still figuring this out myself. So take my words with a healthy dose of skepticism, but when someone wiser comments I think that's what they'll say.

Thoughts on this color combo?

...most people (and all the wise ones) on SDN will be quick to tell you that you need a suit for interviews. An actual suit, where the jacket and the skirt/dress/pants are made of the exact same fabric. .

@Smoak is correct, a non-matching set would be considered too casual for med interviews. If you prefer the dress-and-jacket look, there are options for a dress suit, in which the pieces would be similar in construction to the ones pictured, but in the same fabric and color. If you're desperate to break up the monochrome, a skirt- or pantsuit is your best bet.

I'm wearing a black dress, black jacket, and back shoes, so I think I look very much ready for a funeral. I'm thinking of wearing/buying a necklace like this one. Thoughts? Basically I read that we should stay away from statement necklaces, but I don't want to wear all black....

Tortoise link necklace

Last edited:
I'm wearing a black dress, black jacket, and back shoes, so I think I look very much ready for a funeral. I'm thinking of wearing/buying a necklace like this one to add some visual interest. Thoughts?

Tortoise link necklace
I had the same concern, but I was thinking of going with a much smaller gold necklace as to not draw too much attention to my chest. I might try to find a dark non-neutral shirt to mix things up a bit instead.

I'm wearing a black dress, black jacket, and back shoes, so I think I look very much ready for a funeral. I'm thinking of wearing/buying a necklace like this one. Thoughts? Basically I read that we should stay away from statement necklaces, but I don't want to wear all black....

Tortoise link necklace
I had the same concern, but I was thinking of going with a much smaller gold necklace as to not draw too much attention to my chest. I might try to find a dark non-neutral shirt to mix things up a bit instead.
Pearls don't have to be small and white...

@Smoak is correct, a non-matching set would be considered too casual for med interviews. If you prefer the dress-and-jacket look, there are options for a dress suit, in which the pieces would be similar in construction to the ones pictured, but in the same fabric and color. If you're desperate to break up the monochrome, a skirt- or pantsuit is your best bet.
@Smoak as well, thanks for the feedback. As I was finding earlier in the thread, a full maternity suit is very hard to come by and looks somewhat more ridiculous than my black dress/gray jacket. I chose black dress because it minimizes the bump a bit, but obviously can't pair it with a black jacket of non-matching fabric and already had the gray jacket. I'm 30 weeks pregnant for what it's worth, so you can still tell even in the black dress that there is a baby in there.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant for what it's worth, so you can still tell even in the black dress that there is a baby in there.
My bad! If you mentioned that before, I must have lost the thread a bit. From what I hear/read, pregnancy gives you a pass on some of the interview attire rules, so don't sweat it :)

Is this suit color inappropriate?

Attachments

• IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 122
@Smoak as well, thanks for the feedback. As I was finding earlier in the thread, a full maternity suit is very hard to come by and looks somewhat more ridiculous than my black dress/gray jacket. I chose black dress because it minimizes the bump a bit, but obviously can't pair it with a black jacket of non-matching fabric and already had the gray jacket. I'm 30 weeks pregnant for what it's worth, so you can still tell even in the black dress that there is a baby in there.

I'm sorry! I must not have caught that earlier in the thread. The way you just described it makes your choice seems very reasonable. I hope your interviews go well!

I have a grey blazer that I was planning on using for interviewing. Is a black dress underneath it okay? What about a button up shirt with a black pencil skirt? Its not a "suit" but is that professional looking still?

Just scored a navy skirt suit AND a charcoal 3-piece suit (skirt, pants, and blazer) for under $300 at Ann Taylor - so I don't have to make my own after all! This "Suit Yourself" sale is EVERYTHING! I probably will make another back-up suit anyway, though, because I already bought the fabric. Lol

Reactions: 4 users
Just scored a navy skirt suit AND a charcoal 3-piece suit (skirt, pants, and blazer) for under $300 at Ann Taylor - so I don't have to make my own after all! This "Suit Yourself" sale is EVERYTHING!
Ugh, but do I really want to go to the outlet mall right at the end of summer when every Yankee and their mama is still on vacation down here at the beach where I live? #vacationdestinationproblems

I take it you braved the mobs of vacationing yankees and their mamas? We're not so scary ;) yeaaaah I was on vacation with my family when I found my suit

Just scored a navy skirt suit AND a charcoal 3-piece suit (skirt, pants, and blazer) for under $300 at Ann Taylor - so I don't have to make my own after all! This "Suit Yourself" sale is EVERYTHING! I probably will make another back-up suit anyway, though, because I already bought the fabric. Lol

I think it's so cool that you can use a sewing machine like that! :eek: I hand-sewed a pillow once, but that's pretty much it, haha.

I tried on my skirt suit again and am now trying to lose a bit of weight before my first interview so the skirt doesn't noticeably stretch over my thighs. It's not really obvious with my jacket on, so it's not too bad. I actually took my suit to a tailor and she said that she wouldn't actually modify anything (short of me buying the same skirt one size up and taking in the entire thing)... Imagine a tailor talking you out of giving them business!

Also: This is super embarrassing, but when I tried on my heels again, I noticed that one of them made a farting noise every time I took a step. For anyone with the same problem, apparently it's due to your foot trapping air as it's pushing down into the sole -- I fixed it by geting little heel inserts for a snugger fit, as well as wearing those socks that are made for flats/heels!

I have a grey blazer that I was planning on using for interviewing. Is a black dress underneath it okay? What about a button up shirt with a black pencil skirt? Its not a "suit" but is that professional looking still?
Have you read this thread? You need a real suit.

Unless you are pregnant, a suit is expected.

I'm having the hardest time finding a nice blouse to wear under my jacket. The blouse that I usually wear looks like this, but I noticed that the first post says that lace is generally not recommended. Would this be okay, or should I start looking again? Thanks! :)

yjjdgkk.png

Thoughts on pantyhose under pants? I have a pair of the nude-color sock kind that look... fine, I guess, with my pumps, but I wasn't sure if that was an expectation or if I could lose them :confused:

I'm having the hardest time finding a nice blouse to wear under my jacket. The blouse that I usually wear looks like this, but I noticed that the first post says that lace is generally not recommended. Would this be okay, or should I start looking again? Thanks! :)

yjjdgkk.png
I found some nice simple blouses at LOFT -- they would've been a bit pricy but the whole store happened to be 50% off.

yjjdgkk.png
Lace (and embroidery) are not business professional.
The neckline is good, though.

How would glasses like these look? I'd really feel more comfortable in my glasses than having to wear contacts.

about-dakota-in-castle-pink.png