Withdrew from Med School in good academic standing - possibly want to go back?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chanarica

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a problem. You guys can give me opinions, advice, whatever. I mainly feel the need to express myself since there are only so many people who will listen, and of those not for long before they stop caring/aren't as invested.

I was accepted into a D.O. medical school (KCUMB) during my sophomore year of college due to a partner's program agreement my school had with them. The program includes not having to take the MCAT and skipping your senior year of college to straight off start med. After a year of med, you receive your bachelors due to credits transferring back to the undergrad school.

Freshman and half of sophomore year in undergrad I worked very hard and had a good outlook on life. Last half of my sophomore year I fell into a pit of existentialism. After taking a few college classes I had come to question my existence and my cult religion. There were conspiracy theories that I absolutely believed to be true. My paranoia was huge but I opened my mind to the realities of life and logic I rebuilt my mind to fully overcome it (now, haha). But as this was happening, nothing mattered to me anymore. Weather I lived or died it didn't matter. If my religion was not true life didn't matter.

Also during this time I met my current boyfriend whom my family rejected on the grounds of religion. I was a complete virgin before this experience and having him in my life caused me to believe I was sinning. I tried to break up with him but instead broke up with my religious ideas and now we are living together (against my family's wishes). I started feeling suicidal during my Junior year but matriculated anyway.

I knew I didn't want to start medical school then but I also had a NHSC scholarship that was paying my whole way. Who quits when they got into med school early plus have a whole scholarship paying for it? LOL. I was stupid and ended up not studying due to mental breakdowns. I passed two classes with a "C" and in the middle of Anatomy and Physiology, I took a leave of absence. I got on medication, got counseling, the whole nine yards. It helped, for a bit.

I went back in to restart the year and after one week I quit. Yep. Withdrew the day after the first exam. A lot of the school's faculty told me they didn't want me to quit and that I'd make an excellent physician one day, but I wanted nothing to do with medicine ever again. "Doctors suck, their life sucks. They just won't admit it to themselves!" I said to myself as my own life was falling apart. I was still depressed and sad that I didn't have a reason to live.

So, being a fresh ex-med student, I still didn't have my bachelor's as I didn't complete the first year. I only needed 3 credits to get my B.S. in biology so I signed up for an online hematology course. Bad idea. I was so f****** lazy and didn't care about ANYTHING. I procrastinated. I left half the course to complete in one week and, while my grades were good, I quit not wanting to try at all and not wanting to stress myself out.

I was sad all the time and still suicidal. So I weaned myself of all of my meds. I disliked my psychiatrist anyway. After that I felt more mental clarity but still sad. Then one day one of my boyfriend's friends told me I needed to push myself and add more stress to my life or I'd be sad forever. Wow. Advice straight from a non-psychologists' mouth. And you know what? It f****** worked.

I started exercising and made a list of what I wanted to do with my life. I got accepted into nursing school with the idea of becoming a N.P. due to my lack of belief I would get in to med school again. Still have to have a bachelor's before I matriculate there (which I'm not going to do, hah!).

So...months later I'm here. I am 22 years old, ex-med student and no bachelor's degree yet....that's an accurate description of the situation I believe. I am sick of being lazy and I'm so bored!

I dislike my boring job. I've started studying critical reasoning and logic and I've slowly improved in that. Today I spoke with my undergrad advisor and he still thinks I don't want to do med (couldn't bring myself to tell him I was still interested in it) but is happy I'm coming back to finish my degree. I presented a plan to him so that I will graduate in Spring with two majors, B.S. in Biology and B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology as well as a minor in Chemistry and a minor in Women's Studies.

But after I get my undergraduate degree, what should I do?!

I am open to other career options as long as they don't make me feel bored or uninspired.

Members don't see this ad.

I am open to other career options as long as they don't make me feel bored or uninspired.

Only you can determine what other career options peak your interest...so do some research on that because a anonymous poster on this forum cannot identify your interest/calling...again you know you. Medical school is a done deal for you. Seriously focus on tackling your depression/suicidal thoughts via counseling and other therapy programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Only you can determine what other career options peak your interest...so do some research on that because a anonymous poster on this forum cannot identify your interest/calling...again you know you. Medical school is a done deal for you. Seriously focus on tackling your depression/suicidal thoughts via counseling and other therapy programs.

Hey I've been to counseling and therapy a lot. Should've mentioned in op. Any ideas on science/medical fields that might be interesting?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry but you had your chance, and now it's time to do something else. You'd be rejected from my school.

Good research techs are always hard to find. Take as many lab courses as you can, do volunteer research with some PIs and then aim for a lab mgr or research associate's job.

Ok I have a problem. You guys can give me opinions, advice, whatever. I mainly feel the need to express myself since there are only so many people who will listen, and of those not for long before they stop caring/aren't as invested.

I was accepted into a D.O. medical school (KCUMB) during my sophomore year of college due to a partner's program agreement my school had with them. The program includes not having to take the MCAT and skipping your senior year of college to straight off start med. After a year of med, you receive your bachelors due to credits transferring back to the undergrad school.

Freshman and half of sophomore year in undergrad I worked very hard and had a good outlook on life. Last half of my sophomore year I fell into a pit of existentialism. After taking a few college classes I had come to question my existence and my cult religion. There were conspiracy theories that I absolutely believed to be true. My paranoia was huge but I opened my mind to the realities of life and logic I rebuilt my mind to fully overcome it (now, haha). But as this was happening, nothing mattered to me anymore. Weather I lived or died it didn't matter. If my religion was not true life didn't matter.

Also during this time I met my current boyfriend whom my family rejected on the grounds of religion. I was a complete virgin before this experience and having him in my life caused me to believe I was sinning. I tried to break up with him but instead broke up with my religious ideas and now we are living together (against my family's wishes). I started feeling suicidal during my Junior year but matriculated anyway.

I knew I didn't want to start medical school then but I also had a NHSC scholarship that was paying my whole way. Who quits when they got into med school early plus have a whole scholarship paying for it? LOL. I was stupid and ended up not studying due to mental breakdowns. I passed two classes with a "C" and in the middle of Anatomy and Physiology, I took a leave of absence. I got on medication, got counseling, the whole nine yards. It helped, for a bit.

I went back in to restart the year and after one week I quit. Yep. Withdrew the day after the first exam. A lot of the school's faculty told me they didn't want me to quit and that I'd make an excellent physician one day, but I wanted nothing to do with medicine ever again. "Doctors suck, their life sucks. They just won't admit it to themselves!" I said to myself as my own life was falling apart. I was still depressed and sad that I didn't have a reason to live.

So, being a fresh ex-med student, I still didn't have my bachelor's as I didn't complete the first year. I only needed 3 credits to get my B.S. in biology so I signed up for an online hematology course. Bad idea. I was so f****** lazy and didn't care about ANYTHING. I procrastinated. I left half the course to complete in one week and, while my grades were good, I quit not wanting to try at all and not wanting to stress myself out.

I was sad all the time and still suicidal. So I weaned myself of all of my meds. I disliked my psychiatrist anyway. After that I felt more mental clarity but still sad. Then one day one of my boyfriend's friends told me I needed to push myself and add more stress to my life or I'd be sad forever. Wow. Advice straight from a non-psychologists' mouth. And you know what? It f****** worked.

I started exercising and made a list of what I wanted to do with my life. I got accepted into nursing school with the idea of becoming a N.P. due to my lack of belief I would get in to med school again. Still have to have a bachelor's before I matriculate there (which I'm not going to do, hah!).

So...months later I'm here. I am 22 years old, ex-med student and no bachelor's degree yet....that's an accurate description of the situation I believe. I am sick of being lazy and I'm so bored!

I dislike my boring job. I've started studying critical reasoning and logic and I've slowly improved in that. Today I spoke with my undergrad advisor and he still thinks I don't want to do med (couldn't bring myself to tell him I was still interested in it) but is happy I'm coming back to finish my degree. I presented a plan to him so that I will graduate in Spring with two majors, B.S. in Biology and B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology as well as a minor in Chemistry and a minor in Women's Studies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys!

I've decided to pursue a PhD! I'm so happy and excited about it.

I told myself if I could be not depressed and do anything else, I would do it. And I feel I have found many things I'd be so much more fulfilled doing than medicine.

Thanks for the responses on this thread. :)

Reactions: 1 user

:-(

Hey what's wrong? It's ok. I am glad this happened to me. Now I can finally do what will make me happy, but with a greater understanding of life. Are you sad because you have a similar situation?

I think your story is very interesting and am ecstatic that you finally found something that will make you happy! Congrats for being able to turn a seemingly very bleak situation into one of great promise!

Out of curiosity, what kind of PhD will you be pursuing?