DAT Win DAT 4-book set with over 3000 practice questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are excited to participate again in SDN's annual Test Prep Week.

We will be offering our Gold Standard DAT 4-book set worth $149:
  • 4 books: DAT PAT, Biology, General & Organic Chemistry, Quantitative Reasoning & Reading Comprehension
  • 2 full-length DAT practice tests (1 in the book & 1 online) with helpful explanations
  • 10 hours of access to our online NS video library
  • More than 3000 practice questions with helpful explanations
1 winner will be chosen from amongst those who ask questions about our product or otherwise contribute meaningfully to the thread.

Post your comments anytime between April 25th - 29th.

Good luck to all!

Helpful links:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

What do you think is the biggest obstacle to students studying for the DAT, and how would you recommend dealing with it? Also, are the full-length practice tests reflective of the actual difficulty of the DAT, and are they set up like the real thing?

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I have 2 questions:
1) What does your NS video library encompass?
2) What time frame do you recommend to study for the DAT with your resource? (hours per day for however many weeks/months). I'd prefer a more descriptive response in terms of how much time should be allocated to the books vs online NS video library. I'm assuming the practice questions are associated with the books. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Thank you :)

Hi!

What do you think is the biggest obstacle to students studying for the DAT, and how would you recommend dealing with it? Also, are the full-length practice tests reflective of the actual difficulty of the DAT, and are they set up like the real thing?

Thank you!
Hi there,

From our student experiences, the biggest obstacle is the dreaded DAT PAT. But it doesn't need to be! We put together tutorials that will introduce you to the basic concepts and strategies of the different PAT sections: Gold Standard DAT

And then there is practice, practice and more practice: Free DAT PAT Practice Questions. Our DAT 4-book set has over 1400 DAT PAT questions alone (in the book and online).

------------

Yes, our DAT practice tests cover all sections in the actual computerized DAT format and are on par with the real DAT exam. You can test drive us for free: FREE DAT Practice

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I have 2 questions:
1) What does your NS video library encompass?
2) What time frame do you recommend to study for the DAT with your resource? (hours per day for however many weeks/months). I'd prefer a more descriptive response in terms of how much time should be allocated to the books vs online NS video library. I'm assuming the practice questions are associated with the books. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Thank you :)

Hi!

"1) What does your NS video library encompass?" - our DAT NS video library has over 15 hours of content and covers key DAT science topics in Biology, General and Organic Chemistry. Each video features Dr. Ferdinand who is known to make difficult concepts easier to understand. It is like having your own home tutor at your own pace. Every video is also cross-referenced to the relevant book chapter for further review.

"2) What time frame do you recommend to study for the DAT with your resource? (hours per day for however many weeks/months)." - For most students, quality prep materials and a disciplined DAT study schedule (average 3 to 6 hours per day for 3 to 6 months) are needed to get the score to be accepted to dental school. The central dogma for DAT prep is: content review -> practice questions -> full length exams.

Content review during your DAT prep is normally when you review a book like the Gold Standard DAT. Our strategy with review guides is that your aim is to read a chapter once. Start by reading the first page of the chapter which describes what you should memorize, understand, etc. You also read all the titles and subtitles in the chapter, review all tables and images. Now you are ready to read and you have the proper concept and objectives.

Some students like to watch science review videos before or after reading a chapter. Depending on how you learn best, content review can be optimized through the synergy between video and reading material.

The next step is to complete chapter review questions so that you get feedback on your understanding of the material that you read. And finally, you must encode your review and practice experience in quality personal notes. Once the content review and chapter review questions are complete, then you are ready for full length DAT practice tests.

"3) I'm assuming the practice questions are associated with the books." - Yes. Each chapter has chapter review questions either in the book, online or both. Each practice problem comes with helpful explanation and there is also a Forum where you can join student discussions about a particular problem.

From a content review perspective, do you recommend students approach the DAT in a substantially different way from the MCAT? I've heard that while the MCAT tends to prompt students to recall content through the use of passages, the DAT tends to reward students who are able to recall content without the passage prompting.

Thus, should those of us preparing for the one test or the other change our study methods substantially, or is the process of content review largely the same across the exams, while noting that there are some differences in what content is officially included for each exam?

I was wondering how long is the DAT. I have trouble focusing

Sent from my SM-N900V using SDN mobile

I was wondering how long is the DAT. I have trouble focusing

Sent from my SM-N900V using SDN mobile

The DAT exam is 4 hours and 30 minutes long. It is a hard and challenging exam so you need to be adequately prepared. You should get yourself accustomed to the real exam conditions. Meaning that when you are taking a full-length practice test, you should time yourself and do it exactly as you would do on the test date. This way, you will build the stamina needed to get you through the whole exam day.

To improve your concentration, try to get a good night sleep. If you take your test early in the morning then make sure you get the 8 hours of sleep needed to face the DAT exam. This could mean adjusting your body to a new routine; thus you must start at least one week before the test by going to sleep a little bit earlier than your usual hour. On test-day morning, eat a healthy breakfast. Avoid fats and protein. Sugar-packed snacks also cause a ‘sugar low’ that eventually makes you drowsy.

Good luck!

Hi!

"1) What does your NS video library encompass?" - our DAT NS video library has over 15 hours of content and covers key DAT science topics in Biology, General and Organic Chemistry. Each video features Dr. Ferdinand who is known to make difficult concepts easier to understand. It is like having your own home tutor at your own pace. Every video is also cross-referenced to the relevant book chapter for further review.

"2) What time frame do you recommend to study for the DAT with your resource? (hours per day for however many weeks/months)." - For most students, quality prep materials and a disciplined DAT study schedule (average 3 to 6 hours per day for 3 to 6 months) are needed to get the score to be accepted to dental school. The central dogma for DAT prep is: content review -> practice questions -> full length exams.

Content review during your DAT prep is normally when you review a book like the Gold Standard DAT. Our strategy with review guides is that your aim is to read a chapter once. Start by reading the first page of the chapter which describes what you should memorize, understand, etc. You also read all the titles and subtitles in the chapter, review all tables and images. Now you are ready to read and you have the proper concept and objectives.

Some students like to watch science review videos before or after reading a chapter. Depending on how you learn best, content review can be optimized through the synergy between video and reading material.

The next step is to complete chapter review questions so that you get feedback on your understanding of the material that you read. And finally, you must encode your review and practice experience in quality personal notes. Once the content review and chapter review questions are complete, then you are ready for full length DAT practice tests.

"3) I'm assuming the practice questions are associated with the books." - Yes. Each chapter has chapter review questions either in the book, online or both. Each practice problem comes with helpful explanation and there is also a Forum where you can join student discussions about a particular problem.

Wow this was such an incredibly informative response. Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer my questions! I'll be diving into DAT studying in the upcoming weeks. Seems daunting, but I'm ready for it :)

From a content review perspective, do you recommend students approach the DAT in a substantially different way from the MCAT? I've heard that while the MCAT tends to prompt students to recall content through the use of passages, the DAT tends to reward students who are able to recall content without the passage prompting.

Thus, should those of us preparing for the one test or the other change our study methods substantially, or is the process of content review largely the same across the exams, while noting that there are some differences in what content is officially included for each exam?

Sorry for the long answer but there are a few things to consider!

If the old MCAT and DAT were like brother and sister, well now they are like 3rd cousins (you probably don’t know too many 3rd cousins very well!).

There are many important DAT topics that are either not on the MCAT or are so rare as MCAT questions that the topics are not properly covered in MCAT books. Here is a partial list: photosynthesis and plant biology, cladistics, population and community ecology, ecosystems, general chemistry laboratory techniques and glassware, alkane, alkene, alkyne, ether and aromatic chemistry, multi-step organic syntheses, and much more.

On the other hand, the MCAT now has significant non-DAT topics like Biochemistry, Psychology, Sociology and Statistics/research methods (yes, of course Physics, but that’s not new!).

If that’s not enough, let’s look at the part you are alluding to: the actual questions. Please take a look at Bloom’s Taxonomy: https://tips.uark.edu/wp-content/up...my_pyramid_cake-style-use-with-permission.jpg

This is not a discussion of “what is easier, what is harder” because that depends on the person, study habits, etc. But it is important to underline that DAT NS questions tend to the lower part of the pyramid, and MCAT questions definitely tend towards the upper part (btw, a 2008 study in Science showed that MCAT does this better than many major standardized exams, and certainly, better than undergrad exams; it is also interesting to note that the ADA announced some measures a couple of years ago that would make the DAT more of a reasoning exam but those measures were cancelled a few months ago before being implemented).

If your aim is an average score, how you study (as opposed to what you study) might not make a significant difference. But if you want a top score, then studying for recall and studying for reasoning is really not the same, so you would study as if these exams are only slightly related.

What makes your product unique compared to other study aides out there?

Each boxed set comes with an unique online access code that gives you 1 year access to additional resources online (2 full-length practice tests, extra chapter review questions, NS videos and much more).

There are more than 3000 exercises with worked solutions that come with the 4-book set (in the books and online). In fact, each question comes with a forum thread link so if you have more questions about the problem, you click on the link to read what other students have said or to post your query about the problem. For a more visual learning, watch our science review videos featuring the author of this set, Dr. Ferdinand. Each video is cross-referenced to the relevant book chapter for further understanding and most of the online chapters suggest related videos. I know it sounds cliche but try not to think of it as a regular book set, it is multimedia. And that makes it pretty unique in our opinion!

Sorry for the long answer but there are a few things to consider!
If your aim is an average score, how you study (as opposed to what you study) might not make a significant difference. But if you want a top score, then studying for recall and studying for reasoning is really not the same, so you would study as if these exams are only slightly related.

Thanks so much for the detailed insight. I really appreciate the perspective. Please keep up the excellent work :)

Thank you all for participating in SDN's annual Test Prep Week! We are please to announce that the winner of the Gold Standard DAT 4-book set is eldmd_32 :soexcited:Congratulations!

Please, pm us your delivery address so we can ship this healthy 6 kg baby :) Feel free to share your thoughts on these books with us. We welcome all comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.