William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a extreme non-trad applicant (mid 40s) and just applied.
It seems it is too late to apply.

I wonder how WCUCOM sees non-trads and graduate GPAs (overall 3.96).
I am asking this because my undergraduate GPA is very low (<3.0) with MCAT 504, but I have pretty strong EC, publications (medical and biological), awards, and etc .

Can any current student give comments on my question?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

I am a extreme non-trad applicant (mid 40s) and just applied.
It seems it is too late to apply.

I wonder how WCUCOM sees non-trads and graduate GPAs (overall 3.96).
I am asking this because my undergraduate GPA is very low (<3.0) with MCAT 504, but I have pretty strong EC, publications (medical and biological), awards, and etc .

Can any current student give comments on my question?

Thank you,

They love non trads. After they rebuild the school I am sure they would love to have you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They love non trads. After they rebuild the school I am sure they would love to have you.

Thanks for the input.

BTW, what do you mean, rebuild. the storm?
I presume, everything either canceled or postponed.

Hope everyone is safe and wish for fast recovery in every aspect.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, what do you mean, rebuild. the storm?
I presume, everything either canceled or postponed.

Hope everyone is safe and wish for fast recovery in every aspect.

Everything is cancelled or postponed for the time being. We'll know more about classes tomorrow, hopefully we'll get information as to what WCU and WCUCOM as a school plan to do moving forward. Everyone is safe but it's going to be a lengthy recovery process, we'll try to keep everyone updated.

But in general, non-traditional students are welcome at WCUCOM. Good luck!

Everything is cancelled or postponed for the time being. We'll know more about classes tomorrow, hopefully we'll get information as to what WCU and WCUCOM as a school plan to do moving forward. Everyone is safe but it's going to be a lengthy recovery process, we'll try to keep everyone updated.

But in general, non-traditional students are welcome at WCUCOM. Good luck!
Will the administration building be open tomorrow?

My heart goes out to everyone affected at this school and I hope things work out for the best for everyone. I have an interview here for late February. I hope they recover, I was really looking forward to visiting this school :/

^ same, i have an interview late Feb. at this point, should i even book the hotel/flight or should i just wait for the time being?

We will post and let you guys know after our meeting today. I'm sure that they have accounted for interviews and next years class, and I'll make sure to ask someone about that!

Don't worry too much. Things suck right now, but everyone is working to make the situation better for everyone involved, both currently and in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
Update for everyone!

So, I talked to Dr. Turner/Dr. Weir after the meeting and this is what he said: the interviews for yesterday and next Monday were rescheduled. However, they fully expect to resume interviewing for next years class after that point. They do not know where exactly classes will be held next year, but we will finish this semester on the University of Southern Mississippi campus. There's no reason to shy away from attending school here if you wanted to attend this school/have an acceptance. The faculty have busted their a$@ to make the situation work for everyone and is totally committed to making Carey a great medical school.

In other words: my dean can beat up your dean haha. Feel free to ask any questions you may have! I'll try to keep everyone updated as more information comes along.

Update for everyone!

So, I talked to Dr. Turner/Dr. Weir after the meeting and this is what he said: the interviews for yesterday and next Monday were rescheduled. However, they fully expect to resume interviewing for next years class after that point. They do not know where exactly classes will be held next year, but we will finish this semester on the University of Southern Mississippi campus. There's no reason to shy away from attending school here if you wanted to attend this school/have an acceptance. The faculty have busted their a$@ to make the situation work for everyone and is totally committed to making Carey a great medical school.

In other words: my dean can beat up your dean haha. Feel free to ask any questions you may have! I'll try to keep everyone updated as more information comes along.

Yeah Dean Turner for the win. Its nuts the things this guy has done for us.

Reactions: 1 users
Update for everyone!

Very impressive turn around! WCU has really gained some points in my book. I'm happy to hear that everything is as back to normal as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Very impressive turn around! WCU really gained some points in my book. I'm happy to hear that everything is as back to normal as possible.

Dean Turner is an amazing dean. No exaggeration about it!

Very impressive turn around! WCU really gained some points in my book. I'm happy to hear that everything is as back to normal as possible.

It really is. I mean I was expecting the while after we rebuild you guys can be back and better speech. Nope, we will not be stopped.
Hey that being said we have some serious hardship and work ahead. Stuff is gonna go wrong and we are gonna eat it. Its a big risk that anyone coming into this school is gonna have to take. Outside looking in it may seem like we dusted off and got right back in the game but truth is its just like we opened a brand new med school all over again. Believe me we are scared that this may not work out, but we are gonna fight for it. To you guys, its a high risk but lets be honest it was a huge risk any way. At least this is a fresh start right? While this doesnt override everything in the past it does change the game board. If I was an applicant I would be willing to try it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I just got an interview invite this morning and am now in a pickle- I don't know whether I should go for the interview based on all the negativity I'm hearing and seeing on this thread. My current situation is that I have already been accepted to a brand new school and WCUCOM is my second invite. What should I do? I'm just looking for any advice from people who have been in a similar situation as me. I'm also trying to manage finances and debating whether this invite is worth it...Any advice would be helpful, thanks!:)

Go for an interview and experience the people for yourself, its what sold me when I interviewed. There is plenty of negative and positive in each school. I complain as much as the next person, but all the schools have similar problems. Its also easy to get frustrated and mad and think the world is against you when youre stressed out 24/7. WCUCOM isn't for everyone, but it is a family feeling environment that you should check out.

Go for an interview and experience the people for yourself, its what sold me when I interviewed. There is plenty of negative and positive in each school. I complain as much as the next person, but all the schools have similar problems. Its also easy to get frustrated and mad and think the world is against you when youre stressed out 24/7. WCUCOM isn't for everyone, but it is a family feeling environment that you should check out.

Exactly. Form your own opinion. If a product you're looking at gets many good reviews but a few bad reviews, is that going to stop you from considering purchasing it? I sure hope not.

Will the administration building be open tomorrow?
Administration has moved to Harkins Hall on USM Campus, to my knowledge most are working from there already this week. Emails are up as well.

i just received an email from admissions and they are still planning on having the interviews 1/31. they are just going to move them to a different venue. official emails with details will be sent out later today

Senior faculty member of WCUCOM here.

We are back after only a seven-day time lag! ALL programs will be up and running as of Monday 01/30. ALL programs have been re-located to the campus of Southern Mississippi University. The entire William Carey campus is now designated a 24-hour total construction zone, but full electronic communications etc have been restored. USM has provided simply superb aid to us - students faculty and staff of WCUCOM have full parking privileges, complete library access, full access to food facilities and all the amenities of a large public university campus.

YES, there are some aspects of things done in the past at WCU that will change and some adaption by everyone is necessary. NO factual material will be omitted, although some will certainly be slightly compressed. Laboratory situations in OPP and, particularly Anatomy, have been compromised to varying degree, BUT both of these courses restart Monday/Tuesday next. As I said, adaptation has to occur - as a shining example, the mandatory lecture attendance policy has been suspended! There is no guarantee that once we return to complete WCU occupancy (and we will do that sooner than many current students might guess or state here on-line) that the attendance policy might revert, I know. BUT, if our current two classes (3-4rd year classes not being really dramatically affected by the situation) prove that they can accomplish the needed academic success? I personally would find it difficult to back-track this policy at a later time. [Remember, though. I myself am NOT administration, please.]

Last thoughts for anyone reading this post. I am a founding father faculty member who helped recruit the very first ever class of WCUCOM students who began their studies on August 01, 2010. When they were being interviewed all we could show them was a single architectural drawing of one proposed building! Those students, pioneers actually, trusted us, and had faith in the value of experience, hard-work and perseverance. That first class is now out in the field as practicing osteopathic physicians. Compared to our situation as a very beginning med school in the spring of 2010? We are here a week after a truly devastating tornado light-years ahead of the curve in 2017. If you want to be a part of a special medical experience, working with a true family of dedicated students, administration faculty, and definitely staff across the board - check out WCUCOM.

Senior faculty member of WCUCOM here.

We are back after only a seven-day time lag! ALL programs will be up and running as of Monday 01/30. ALL programs have been re-located to the campus of Southern Mississippi University. The entire William Carey campus is now designated a 24-hour total construction zone, but full electronic communications etc have been restored. USM has provided simply superb aid to us - students faculty and staff of WCUCOM have full parking privileges, complete library access, full access to food facilities and all the amenities of a large public university campus.

YES, there are some aspects of things done in the past at WCU that will change and some adaption by everyone is necessary. NO factual material will be omitted, although some will certainly be slightly compressed. Laboratory situations in OPP and, particularly Anatomy, have been compromised to varying degree, BUT both of these courses restart Monday/Tuesday next. As I said, adaptation has to occur - as a shining example, the mandatory lecture attendance policy has been suspended! There is no guarantee that once we return to complete WCU occupancy (and we will do that sooner than many current students might guess or state here on-line) that the attendance policy might revert, I know. BUT, if our current two classes (3-4rd year classes not being really dramatically affected by the situation) prove that they can accomplish the needed academic success? I personally would find it difficult to back-track this policy at a later time. [Remember, though. I myself am NOT administration, please.]

Last thoughts for anyone reading this post. I am a founding father faculty member who helped recruit the very first ever class of WCUCOM students who began their studies on August 01, 2010. When they were being interviewed all we could show them was a single architectural drawing of one proposed building! Those students, pioneers actually, trusted us, and had faith in the value of experience, hard-work and perseverance. That first class is now out in the field as practicing osteopathic physicians. Compared to our situation as a very beginning med school in the spring of 2010? We are here a week after a truly devastating tornado light-years ahead of the curve in 2017. If you want to be a part of a special medical experience, working with a true family of dedicated students, administration faculty, and definitely staff across the board - check out WCUCOM.
Why is the attendence policy being suspended?

1. Students ave long requested this.
2. Given the tornado and our immediate relocation, some students are justifiably concerned about their personal success. Understand please! This tornado essentially leveled the ENTIRE William Carey University Campus - 6 out of some 25-odd buildings have just been announced as to be demolished. Only three buildings are currently functional to any degree. YET- all buildings are fully insured and the response, locally and nationwide, has been so positive that just tonight the University President announced that Federal FEMA aid would NOT be requested to rebuild, because that national bureaucratic red-tape would severely impair the WCU timeline for total reconstruction. WCU hopes to be back up with new or reconstruction for their August trimester (undergraduate) schedule. (Feasible? I do not know, but having been here now for 7 years? WCU is in my experience unique. Things DO get done quickly).
3. Having said this, the administration and faculty of WCUCOM felt that current students needed some re-assurance that their desires were listened too, and seriously considered. Given the immediate total change of locale, and given the fact that classes resume immediately with no diminishment of content? It was decided by the Dean (Dr. Jim Turner) that mandatory lecture attendance policies would be suspended.
4. Yes, a few faculty argued against this alteration. (Myself NOT included - I have never taken attendance in the course which I direct!) However, all faculty and admins understand that at this time, place and situation we need to try to give our students every possible advantage to overcome. One important help we felt was to suspend any grading penalties for lack of attendance at didactic lectures. Our students are now in the situation they requested - it is up to them to prove that they can handle their now personal increased academic responsibility. Myself? As a very experienced medical school educator? I have faith that these students will indeed rise and shine.

1. Students ave long requested this.
2. Given the tornado and our immediate relocation, some students are justifiably concerned about their personal success. Understand please! This tornado essentially leveled the ENTIRE William Carey University Campus - 6 out of some 25-odd buildings have just been announced as to be demolished. Only three buildings are currently functional to any degree. YET- all buildings are fully insured and the response, locally and nationwide, has been so positive that just tonight the University President announced that Federal FEMA aid would NOT be requested to rebuild, because that national bureaucratic red-tape would severely impair the WCU timeline for total reconstruction. WCU hopes to be back up with new or reconstruction for their August trimester (undergraduate) schedule. (Feasible? I do not know, but having been here now for 7 years? WCU is in my experience unique. Things DO get done quickly).
3. Having said this, the administration and faculty of WCUCOM felt that current students needed some re-assurance that their desires were listened too, and seriously considered. Given the immediate total change of locale, and given the fact that classes resume immediately with no diminishment of content? It was decided by the Dean (Dr. Jim Turner) that mandatory lecture attendance policies would be suspended.
4. Yes, a few faculty argued against this alteration. (Myself NOT included - I have never taken attendance in the course which I direct!) However, all faculty and admins understand that at this time, place and situation we need to try to give our students every possible advantage to overcome. One important help we felt was to suspend any grading penalties for lack of attendance at didactic lectures. Our students are now in the situation they requested - it is up to them to prove that they can handle their now personal increased academic responsibility. Myself? As a very experienced medical school educator? I have faith that these students will indeed rise and shine.
What are the chances of the suspension of the attendence policy will last? This is the onlyy thing that is holding me back from going to this school. I have a different way of learning

What are the chances of the suspension of the attendence policy will last? This is the onlyy thing that is holding me back from going to this school. I have a different way of learning

Senior Faculty Member here with an update.

First, to answer the above question? Simply unknown what will happen.

SECOND - We have just received an E-mail from the WCUCOM Dean (Dr. Jim Turner) that he has told by the William Carey University President (Dr. Tommy King), in conjunction with insurance adjusters, attorneys, construction managers etc., that the WCUCOM will be back on the William Carey University campus as of August 01, 2017. It seems that all facilities will be rebuilt or repaired to their pre-tornado state.

This time-line clearly leaves very little wriggle-room for weather delays, mis-calculations, unforeseen issues etc., but it does demonstrate I believe the extraordinary commitment to students evidenced by WCU. Such a time-line would mean that our incoming class of 2017-2018 should be totally unaffected by the recent storm.:clap:

Reactions: 4 users

SECOND - We have just received an E-mail from the WCUCOM Dean (Dr. Jim Turner) that he has told by the William Carey University President (Dr. Tommy King), in conjunction with insurance adjusters, attorneys, construction managers etc., that the WCUCOM will be back on the William Carey University campus as of August 01, 2017. It seems that all facilities will be rebuilt or repaired to their pre-tornado state.

This time-line clearly leaves very little wriggle-room for weather delays, mis-calculations, unforeseen issues etc., but it does demonstrate I believe the extraordinary commitment to students evidenced by WCU. Such a time-line would mean that our incoming class of 2017-2018 should be totally unaffected by the recent storm.:clap:

This is great news!

This s a great school, I interviewed here today. If anyone has a question you can PM me. Ignore the negativity on these forums.

What would you say the situation is and will be for the MBS program ? Will it still be continued including the MCAT prep classe they offer over the summer before classes start?

So glad to hear that WCU is bouncing back quickly!

Is WCU still planning to extend more interview invites? I've not heard anything since I received the application complete e-mail in October.

So glad to hear that WCU is bouncing back quickly!

Is WCU still planning to extend more interview invites? I've not heard anything since I received the application complete e-mail in October.
Yes. Stats?

LizzyM ~58, Non-trad (>10 years out of undergrad) with LOTS of ECs (clinical research, publications, volunteering, and the like), URM, from the Gulf South (though not currently living there).

Your stat is similar to mine.
When did you apply?
I just did about two weeks ago.
I guess, it is too late!

Your stat is similar to mine.
When did you apply?
I just did about two weeks ago.
I guess, it is too late!

I was complete early October. I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. I contacted the school yesterday and was told that things are a bit in flux due to having to move all the files to a temporary location. I'm still hoping and praying!

I was complete early October. I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. I contacted the school yesterday and was told that things are a bit in flux due to having to move all the files to a temporary location. I'm still hoping and praying!
I hope so too.

LizzyM ~58, Non-trad (>10 years out of undergrad) with LOTS of ECs (clinical research, publications, volunteering, and the like), URM, from the Gulf South (though not currently living there).

Just got an email about the secondary application.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a suggestion where one should stay the night before the interview?

Does anyone have a suggestion where one should stay the night before the interview?
The school has a discount with a hotel and it is good. They used to help you get in touch with current 1st years with a spare room, but I dk if they still do that.

The school has a discount with a hotel and it is good. They used to help you get in touch with current 1st years with a spare room, but I dk if they still do that.
Which hotel? I didn't get much info in the interview email

Which hotel? I didn't get much info in the interview email
Baymont I think? Friends say its a pretty nice place and they get a good discount. As far as other stuff I wanted to know when coming first time...
Definitely plan on renting a car or driving here. I had a girl in my interview group from a big city who just thought she'd catch a taxi from the airport (PIB), and that was laughable. Taxi's/uber/public transport aren't well established (although uber is getting better). Cheaper to fly into NOLA/Gulfport/Jackson and drive here usually, its about 1.5 hr drive. PIB is ~15 mins away and super easy to get to but tends to be more $$ and you can only fly from Dallas through American Airlines, but the teeny tiny luggage carousel is almost worth it alone.

Last edited:

I stayed at the Red Lion Hotel before my II and I can recommend it.

I was impressed during my II and would ignore a lot of the negativity on the forum here. I think that there is a lot of room for improvement at this school, especially if they dilute the power of individual faculty members and bring in new faculty. Good luck to all those looking to attend for C/O 2021.

I stayed at the Red Lion Hotel before my II and I can recommend it.

I was impressed during my II and would ignore a lot of the negativity on the forum here. I think that there is a lot of room for improvement at this school, especially if they dilute the power of individual faculty members and bring in new faculty. Good luck to all those looking to attend for C/O 2021.
Thank you!

Does anyone know if WCU-COM admissions has an updated contact number because of the tornado? I tried calling and didn't get a response.

Does anyone know if WCU-COM admissions has an updated contact number because of the tornado? I tried calling and didn't get a response.

Call University of southern Mississippi and ask if they could give you the number to the WCUCOM office. They will be able to help you and understand why you are looking for it.

Call University of southern Mississippi and ask if they could give you the number to the WCUCOM office. They will be able to help you and understand why you are looking for it.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if they set up shop at Southern Miss or not for the time being....

The AdCom is very responsive to e-mail, also.
Thanks. I tried emailing Ms. Davidson last week but didn't get a response back. Do you think I'd be alright emailing her again? I don't want to seem pushy. I was looking for a status update on my application, but it was only complete 4 weeks ago today.

Thanks. I tried emailing Ms. Davidson last week but didn't get a response back. Do you think I'd be alright emailing her again? I don't want to seem pushy. I was looking for a status update on my application, but it was only complete 4 weeks ago today.

In my non-applicant life, my rule is wait a week before reaching out again. However, if I were in your shoes, I'd wait another 2 weeks (6 weeks since completion). I know it's a bit tricky since we are nearing the end of cycle, but I tend to be really conservative with these situations. My app had been complete several months before I checked status, and I received a response pretty quickly.

How long did it take for your acceptance paperwork to come in the mail?

How long did it take for your acceptance paperwork to come in the mail?
Have you sent in your deposit yet?

Btw you have been on sdn for four years and this is your first post?LOL nice

I got the acceptance call on 2/8/17 and my acceptance came 2/13/17 dated 2/9. I haven't put the deposit down as I am still deciding between this and another school.