William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of my biggest complaints about this school and a few others is the lack of score reporting. Honestly, if your pass rates aren't as high as others, then own it and improve next year. I'd honestly be happier knowing what I'm getting into than playing the guessing game.

The horribly low pass rate numbers I'm sure some of you have heard about (like ~70% first pass rate for Comlex lvl 1) seem to be from their first class, which I understand is to be expected for a brand new school. From digging through past years threads it seems that every year has improved on that number, which is good.

The most recent report I saw was in last year's thread, which stated that they had a 96% pass rate minus two individual scores. It was also stated that the first time pass rate that year was expected to be 91-94%. While this is far from an official number, it's the best guess I could figure.

William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

No word on USMLE. It appears that the school really doesn't support you taking the usmle, and that you're pretty much on your own for that. That may be wrong, but that's what's being said here. Until we can get official numbers and info, it's all second hand info.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OMS 2.95 here about to take boards. Let me weigh in a bit....

If I recall correctly, I believe that ACOM had a similar 80% policy, yet I don't find too many people complaining about it on their thread. There is some benefit to mandatory attendance, while inconvenient, it's not the end all, omg, worst thing in the world EVER.

At least if I have to show up everyday, I don't have to put on a shirt and tie.

Still a bad policy even if other schools do it. There is zero benefit to being forced to be in a classroom if it doesnt help you.

Agreed. If it's such a deal breaker, then apply again next cycle to programs without an attendance policy.

Oh, you don't want to do that? Then get over it.

Look nobody wants to do it. You dont, I didnt, my classmates didnt and some of the professors didnt want us to do it. Flexibility is a huge help in the insane amount of study you have to do to learn all this stuff. It really doesn't help to be forced to sit in a classroom when they teach you an "alternate " version of medicine than what you need for boards and that is on top of the omt stuff. Trust me the policy hurts you.
I get trying to make light of a bad thing or making "it" work for you but before you or other people jump in know what this really is.

The school seems to focus on professionalism. I think they just want to make us accountable to schedules, which I actually respect.

The thing I DON'T like is only giving the student 1 week of dedicated time to study for boards, which is kinda unfortunate. But that just means we have to start earlier, which we should do anyways.

The school doesnt focus on professionalism. It focuses on hierarchy. Pay your dues and move on or dont and die. Its how it works at Carey.

Actually you get zero dedicated prep time... or months... it depends. The school gives you nothing. It depends on you. Test date, if you pass comsae, all classes ect.

Yeah, the lack of dedicated board time does suck. However, most people that score well on STEP do a lot of studying throughout OMSII, so that doesn't bother me.
It should bother you. A strong educational foundation is awesome for boards. Sadly Carey just isnt there yet but they try.

Do yall know WCU's STEP and COMLEX track record?

Yes its not good but you could scroll back a few months or so. I think we were talking about it then. Right before this Jasonvargus or whatever started getting crapped on.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Still a bad policy even if other schools do it. There is zero benefit to being forced to be in a classroom if it doesnt help you.

Look nobody wants to do it. You dont, I didnt, my classmates didnt and some of the professors didnt want us to do it. Flexibility is a huge help in the insane amount of study you have to do to learn all this stuff. It really doesn't help to be forced to sit in a classroom when they teach you an "alternate " version of medicine than what you need for boards and that is on top of the omt stuff. Trust me the policy hurts you.
I get trying to make light of a bad thing or making "it" work for you but before you or other people jump in know what this really is.

The school doesnt focus on professionalism. It focuses on hierarchy. Pay your dues and move on or dont and die. Its how it works at Carey.

Actually you get zero dedicated prep time... or months... it depends. The school gives you nothing. It depends on you. Test date, if you pass comsae, all classes ect.

It should bother you. A strong educational foundation is awesome for boards. Sadly Carey just isnt there yet but they try.

Yes its not good but you could scroll back a few months or so. I think we were talking about it then. Right before this Jasonvargus or whatever started getting crapped on.

I appreciate your honesty throughout this thread. I'm trying to look at things from a glass half-full perspective. I feel like you're almost setting yourself up for failure if you don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yea thanks for the insight. I get the reality of it. My father has said it too. He understand WCU isn't the best option but it is my only option. He let me know that WCU won't really help with anything I want to pursue unless it's Primary Care. He also let me know that I'd have to seek out my own time to study for boards WAY in advance if I want to kill it.

Do you know WHY they give 0-1 week for boards? Like what is the rationale behind that? Don't they want us to succeed on a national scale?

Also, with the new "law" or whatever being passed about DO schools having to make public their COMPLEX scores (not just the final one as WCU does), shouldn't that light a fire for WCU to really cater the education towards the boards like most schools do? I am under the impression that WCU only publishes the final board exams, which really throws up a lot of red flags since those who can't pass the first exams most likely don't make it to the final board exams. (I think it's complex I, II, and III or something -- I'm more knowledgeable about the USMLE Exams).

Also what is stopping us from studying while in class? Like memorizing power points, going through ANKI flash cards, reading through the First Aid book while going thru ppts? I'd hope there'd be some freedom atleast WITHIN the classroom. Especially since you're obligated to be there anyhow.

Yea thanks for the insight. I get the reality of it. My father has said it too. He understand WCU isn't the best option but it is my only option. He let me know that WCU won't really help with anything I want to pursue unless it's Primary Care. He also let me know that I'd have to seek out my own time to study for boards WAY in advance if I want to kill it.

Do you know WHY they give 0-1 week for boards? Like what is the rationale behind that? Don't they want us to succeed on a national scale?

Also, with the new "law" or whatever being passed about DO schools having to make public their COMPLEX scores (not just the final one as WCU does), shouldn't that light a fire for WCU to really cater the education towards the boards like most schools do? I am under the impression that WCU only publishes the final board exams, which really throws up a lot of red flags since those who can't pass the first exams most likely don't make it to the final board exams. (I think it's complex I, II, and III or something -- I'm more knowledgeable about the USMLE Exams).

Exactly. It's all about making the best of your situation.

WCU has graduated previous classes and has had students match into decent enough specialties. That's enough to tell me that I can succeed. Unlike most SDNers, I don't need to match at MGH/Hopkins/Mayo to feel successful as a physcian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Also what is stopping us from studying while in class? Like memorizing power points, going through ANKI flash cards, reading through the First Aid book while going thru ppts? I'd hope there'd be some freedom atleast WITHIN the classroom. Especially since you're obligated to be there anyhow.

Nothing. As my OMS-2 year progressed, I moved further in the back of the lecture hall and did UWorld, FA, Pathoma, etc. Wouldn't do it blatantly in the front row, though.

Reactions: 2 users

Why dont they give us dedicated board time? Same reason they require a board review omt class at the beginning of 4th year, they dont believe the students are ok without constant supervision and that supervision isnt all that great. Do they want you to do well on boards? Meh... not really they want you to pass. If you do well great but it doesnt help them.

When Carey has to and finally complies with the requirement about pass rates I doubt it will be a clear cut thing. It is likely they will fail anyone that is at risk of failing boards. Dont pass comsae you fail the year type of thing, dont show enough improvement on practice teats and qbanks you repeat the year. It will most likely happen next year. This will artificially boost the scores. I doubt they will allow anyone to take usmle until after you have a passing comlex score or some other assurance they want, ( passing comsae ect) once this thing goes through. They are very anti usmle here, they just see it as extra currently and it takes years for anyone to see the value of change at Carey so once they reflexively decide something is bad they arent going to change it in time to help.

How does WCUCOM see and plan about the MD/DO residency merger in 2020? We are at right after the merger and will be affected most severely if not we'll prepared. I was told most likely DO will need both COMLEX and USMLE.

How does WCUCOM see and plan about the MD/DO residency merger in 2020? We are at right after the merger and will be affected most severely if not we'll prepared. I was told most likely DO will need both COMLEX and USMLE.

They arent. Most faculty oppose the merger so dont expect much help or good info about non Aoa programs

They arent. Most faculty oppose the merger so dont expect much help or good info about non Aoa programs

Is it really like that? I would think that bringing unity would be a good thing for both parties. I know there will be some annoyance with changes at first but generally it seems like a positive change.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Is it really like that? I would think that bringing unity would be a good thing for both parties. I know there will be some annoyance with changes at first but generally it seems like a positive change.

I really dont think you understand the effect of the merger at all. It has nothing to do with unity and everything to do with phasing out subpar medical education. I recommend you look at the program directors surveys and compare how much of it you can get as a DO vs an MD. The difference should shock you.

Carey is still in the old world DO match land and it is going to be a few years before they see it different. They dont care about usmle.

I really dont think you understand the effect of the merger at all. It has nothing to do with unity and everything to do with phasing out subpar medical education. I recommend you look at the program directors surveys and compare how much of it you can get as a DO vs an MD. The difference should shock you.

Carey is still in the old world DO match land and it is going to be a few years before they see it different. They dont care about usmle.

Ok, where would I find that at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Google search for residency program director survey should yield results.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought students have two months off between second and third year to study for boards? So why does everyone say that we only have 0-1 weeks? Thanks in advance!

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought students have two months off between second and third year to study for boards? So why does everyone say that we only have 0-1 weeks? Thanks in advance!

Again it depends. Assuming you want to take boards before the start of third year you have to take at the latest end of july. Most people dont want to wait that long. Also if you wait you have to pay more for comlex. Now if you dont pass comsae, you have to take a two week course at the school and retake comsae. Basically you lose june. So you can see how this can cut your dedicated study time down based on how you do on comsae and when you schedule. So you can have anywhere from zero to 7 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Btw what is the reason for wcucom starting the school a semester earlier then everyone else? Everyone else starts last week of August and have a shorter semester then us

Google search for residency program director survey should yield results.

OK so looking at the servey it seems most admissions directors obviously prefer Step scores and want them to be around 230 or better to gaurentee an interview. So are you saying that the merger is to compare the complex and step scores to see if people who get Medical education from Osteopathic or Allopathic schools are gaining the same quality education?

Last edited:
OK so looking at the servey it seems most admissions directors obviously prefer Step scores and want them to be around 230 or better to gaurentee an interview. So are you saying that the merger is to compare the complex and step scores to see if people who get Medical education from Osteopathic or Allopathic schools are gaining the same quality education?

No, it's to merge the two match periods into one. This allows Allopathic students access to residencies that were previously AOA.

Directors will ALWAYS prefer Step over COMLEX.

No, it's to merge the two match periods into one. This allows Allopathic students access to residencies that were previously AOA.

Directors will ALWAYS prefer Step over COMLEX.
Ok. And do they prefer Step over Complex beacuse Step is generally a harder test? Or beacuse it has traditionally been the route of Medical students?

Ok. And do they prefer Step over Complex beacuse Step is generally a harder test? Or beacuse it has traditionally been the route of Medical students?

Well, the non AOA residencies are ACGME, which are tailored toward Allopathic students. Allopathic students take the STEP (USMLE), so naturally, it is what the directors of those residency programs prefer.

Just take the USMLE when the time comes. It will open so many more doors.

Well, the non AOA residencies are ACGME, which are tailored toward Allopathic students. Allopathic students take the STEP (USMLE), so naturally, it is what the directors of those residency programs prefer.

Just take the USMLE when the time comes. It will open so many more doors.
Makes sense. And definitely. I was thinking about when the time comes. Trying to take a step prep course. Do you all think that it would be effective?

Makes sense. And definitely. I was thinking about when the time comes. Trying to take a step prep course. Do you all think that it would be effective?

Worry about getting through OMS-I first.

Ok, so the best time to try and take a course or whatever is summer after the first year?

Ideally, you shouldn't start until the winter of your OMS-II year. You'll burn out. This is what I've been reading.

Medical Students with actual board experience, please feel free to chime in.

Worry about getting through OMS-I first.
This is horrible advice , I have already memorized first aid and done half of one of the q banks. It's never too early !!!

This is horrible advice , I have already memorized first aid and done half of one of the q banks. It's never too early !!!
So it's better to kinda do bit by bit and stretch out the studying? Are you just finishing your first year?

In no way is it horrible advice. Please use words in the proper context. It's pretty common to start in the early winter, actually. Ive done a decent amount of reading on it. Some don't even start until dedicated time (which is almost non existent at Carey).

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's better to kinda do bit by bit and stretch out the studying? Are you just finishing your first year?

It's going to be my first year at wcucom ! Last couple of years ive had a lot of free time

No I am saying the merger puts DO students at a disadvantage and the lower down the list the DO school is the greater the disadvantage. There are whole fields you have no chance at getting into because of this merger.

So, as a student in the same class as WorldChanger I can say that he's pretty spot on with somethings. I don't think that the school inherently does things that are "anti-merger", "anti-usmle", or anti anything that would stunt our medical education for that matter. Honestly, I feel like it's a matter of them not completely knowing what works best for a medical education in today's society. To me, it feels like a lot of the lectures and expected knowledge are things they learned in school/residency and think will be important to us becoming good doctors in the future. Not gearing us towards doing well on the COMLEX or USMLE. The two should coincide with each other, but that doesn't always happen. It's true that the school should help us with the board exams through comprehensive lectures, but in the end it's honestly up to the student to learn the material. There's always going to be a gap in knowledge between what we learn in school and what we are expected to know for the exams, but the licensing boards don't care why you do poorly. If the school doesn't teach me something I need to know then it's my responsibility to find those gaps in knowledge and learn them.

Yes, this school has it's problems - maybe more than other schools in the country - but I don't hold it against the school for numerous reasons. Here's a few:
1.) There are some classes that are taught well and there are some classes that are taught poorly, but the people in charge are not stagnant in trying to fix the situation. They've brought in new faculty, changed some of their policies, and ask us for feedback. Some of the things work and some don't. At least they're trying. The faculty here are not ******ed and would never higher a subpar candidate unless that was the best available to them.
2.) It's a newer school. Yeah, it's their responsibility to develop a curriculum that works, but it's something that takes time. I knew this when I decided to come here and can't blame the school for it. Most things in life suck and are organized in a way that will piss you off, but we have to find a way to deal with it if we don't want to live a miserable life.
3.) After the tornado destroyed the school, Dean Turner and all the other faculty worked incredibly hard to make sure that we wouldn't be negatively affected by the lack of facilities. If that's not dedication to their students then I don't know what is.

So, anyone who decides to come here just know that there will be some things you like and others that you don't. If you're lazy in your preparation then you'll get subpar results and can't blame it on the school. Either way, do what's best for you and become the best doctor you can be.

Reactions: 8 users
What are the fields that WorldChanger says we have no chance of getting into because of the merger?

What are the fields that WorldChanger says we have no chance of getting into because of the merger?
I think its easier to look at the fields you have a chance to get into- family/internal medicine, OBgyn

If any of you who are planning to attend this year wish to start a private conversation regarding our incoming class, just like this post and I'll invite you in.

Reactions: 12 users
If any of you who are planning to attend this year wish to start a private conversation regarding our incoming class, just like this post and I'll invite you in.
Invite me in please :)

So, did WCU fill up their class yet?

So, did WCU fill up their class yet?

I would like to know this as well. I feel like they're being more selective this year. I have nothing to base that on except for the rumor that is, "Well, if they interview you then they definitely want you," combined with the fact that only 3 out of the 8 people that interviewed on my day were actually offered admission.

The FB group has 80 members so far.

This is assuming all people currently accepted have a Facebook account and are currently in the group? Is there any other place we can see the class size?

I feel like in years past they have had sizes of around 100?