William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2107

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Things are looking bad for wcucom and thats how it should be imo. Theres still has ~30 seats left and we are less than 2 months from orientation. I hope the tornado and my words inspired yall to look elsewhere. Ive talked to most every interview group I saw and I made it clear what was going on at wcucom. Im glad so many ppl listened. This school is still the worst in the country no matter how you want to measure it. I will post a full year-end review in a few days but I can tell you now to avoid this school at all costs. Theres 3 new DO schools opening this year and all of them will have better board scores and residency placements than than wcucom c/o 2021.

Its not because yall are dumb because lots of other DO schools have similar stats for applicants as wcucom (LMU, VCOM, ACOM, etc). The difference is nobody at wcucom will prepare you for success on the boards and theres no mentorship outside of your peers. A lot of applicants asked me about boards and I was very honest. Wcucom would rather not publish board scores because theyre so bad but they have to for accreditation. The most recent class had a 83% pass rate on comlex level 1 (no other school is below 90% and keep in mind its not the students because other programs let in applicants with the same MCAT/GPA as wcucom but they do much better). Wcucom wont even publish usmle because its so bad but Im guessing a 50-60% pass rate. As for mentorship, a fourth year told us to not expect help from the school when we are applying for competitive residencies. In fact his class was actively discouraged by the dean in charge of board prep to NOT take USMLE! I dont know how you can justify that to anyone who is thinking outside of primary care (that particular student matched EM at a MD program despite wcucom's best efforts to drag him down).

Before I forget, let me mention residency placements. Basically, its primary care or bust for teh vast majority of wcucom grads. Less than 80% of students matched before the scramble (thats counting AOA, NRMP, mil match) while other schools regularly match 90% and above. Again, these schools have students with the same stats as yall going in so dont doubt your mental abilities, its wcucom thats let you down. Of the students who matched, most got IM or FM slots at unknown locations (wcucom wont say because theyre crappy programs). Out of 93 graduates (wcucom classes start with 110 btw so thats the highest attrition rate by far at an American medical school), we had OB-5, EM-9 (theres hope for me), General Surgery-2, Ortho-1, Radiology–4, Anesthesiology–2, Neuro-1. The rest of the match was a depressing list of IM, FM, OMM, Peds, Psych, and TRI matches.

I hope that helps.

Do you know whether class mandatory will still be in place for the upcoming fall semester ?

Do you know whether class mandatory will still be in place for the upcoming fall semester ?

The administration hasn't updated us on the attendance policy so I can't say for sure. Our class president and a couple of deans started a project that correlates grades to attendance and it looks like most ppl did way better without mandatory lectures.

However, I wouldn't count on the policy changing permanently. Mandatory attendance is a rule for William carey university at large so the dean would have get special permission from the college president to change this rule.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So it turns out I won't be submitting my application, despite doing the entire secondary, because I just got off a wait list. I wish everyone else submitting a secondary the best of luck and if given the opportunity, take it without looking back! I know I would in a heart beat.

Reactions: 1 users
So it turns out I won't be submitting my application, despite doing the entire secondary, because I just got off a wait list. I wish everyone else submitting a secondary the best of luck and if given the opportunity, take it without looking back! I know I would in a heart beat.
Congrats! Which school?

Best Wishes!

Things are looking bad for wcucom and thats how it should be imo. Theres still has ~30 seats left and we are less than 2 months from orientation. I hope the tornado and my words inspired yall to look elsewhere. Ive talked to most every interview group I saw and I made it clear what was going on at wcucom. Im glad so many ppl listened. This school is still the worst in the country no matter how you want to measure it. I will post a full year-end review in a few days but I can tell you now to avoid this school at all costs. Theres 3 new DO schools opening this year and all of them will have better board scores and residency placements than than wcucom c/o 2021.
I hope that helps.

Hi Jasongenova,

Thanks for sharing your inner thoughts.
How did you survive and were you able to get good scores on COMLEX and USMLE?
Your study strategy may help me and others move forward, not retrograde.
Would you please share how you did?

Best,

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, meet "professor professionalism". Please visit his post history to see him attack students in previous years threads. And also read how he quit SDN because he found out he couldnt intimidate students over the internet.
Dont lie to yourself or any of the applicants [Mod edited out personal information]. You know you'll be talking to them like pieces of **** starting with orientation and ending sometime in January if theyre lucky. I dont talk to my dogs that way and Id never disrespect my "family" like that.

Currently, I am working in a nationally recognized hospital as a full-time scientist and worked previously in a one of top cancer centers in the world.
The dress code and the professionalism are emphasized daily through ever changing yearly mottoes, yearly oath, Quaternary training, and monthly psychological brain-washing emails.
They even tell us how to respond to patient's expression of appreciation, "my pleasure", not anything else. Yes, it sounds silly.
Some executives are always on watch to catch who is violating the dress code, which can be a good reason to expel someone.
Although there are differences, all hospitals do take dress code and professionalism very seriously.

I hope my post won't upset you much, but it is the reality.

Best Regards,

Last edited:

Its not because yall are dumb because lots of other DO schools have similar stats for applicants as wcucom (LMU, VCOM, ACOM, etc). The difference is nobody at wcucom will prepare you for success on the boards and theres no mentorship outside of your peers. A lot of applicants asked me about boards and I was very honest. Wcucom would rather not publish board scores because theyre so bad but they have to for accreditation. The most recent class had a 83% pass rate on comlex level 1 (no other school is below 90% and keep in mind its not the students because other programs let in applicants with the same MCAT/GPA as wcucom but they do much better). Wcucom wont even publish usmle because its so bad but Im guessing a 50-60% pass rate. As for mentorship, a fourth year told us to not expect help from the school when we are applying for competitive residencies. In fact his class was actively discouraged by the dean in charge of board prep to NOT take USMLE! I dont know how you can justify that to anyone who is thinking outside of primary care (that particular student matched EM at a MD program despite wcucom's best efforts to drag him down).

Before I forget, let me mention residency placements. Basically, its primary care or bust for teh vast majority of wcucom grads. Less than 80% of students matched before the scramble (thats counting AOA, NRMP, mil match) while other schools regularly match 90% and above. Again, these schools have students with the same stats as yall going in so dont doubt your mental abilities, its wcucom thats let you down. Of the students who matched, most got IM or FM slots at unknown locations (wcucom wont say because theyre crappy programs). Out of 93 graduates (wcucom classes start with 110 btw so thats the highest attrition rate by far at an American medical school), we had OB-5, EM-9 (theres hope for me), General Surgery-2, Ortho-1, Radiology–4, Anesthesiology–2, Neuro-1. The rest of the match was a depressing list of IM, FM, OMM, Peds, Psych, and TRI matches.

I hope that helps.
Jasongenova...You are becoming a true legend on SDN based upon all of the MD/DO boards I frequent. Just quit, improve your stats and apply to MD programs in the South. Other students at WCU have posted positive comments on this board and they have shown utter disdain for you. Even the dean at WCU offered to help you transfer. Emory and Vanderbilt have good MD programs in the South which you can transfer to since WCU is obviously not worthy as a function of your personal stats and ability level.

Reactions: 2 users
Jasongenova...You are becoming a true legend on SDN based upon all of the MD/DO boards I frequent. Just quit, improve your stats and apply to MD programs in the South. Other students at WCU have posted positive comments on this board and they have shown utter disdain for you. Even the dean at WCU offered to help you transfer. Emory and Vanderbilt have good MD programs in the South which you can transfer to since WCU is obviously not worthy as a function of your personal stats and ability level.

My friend, if anyone shows "utter disdain" its because they learned it from the admin and profs at wcucom. Truth is, Ive gotten nothing but love and support from students. Everyone knows who I am. I suggest you grow a thicker skin if you think anonymous comments on SDN matter to me. Id happily transfer but thats not the point. The dean wants me gone because its easier to get rid of one student than it is to address the severe, systemic issues that have plagued wcucom since it was created. Go read other posters comments in previous years threads for proof. Basically he's mad that Ive shined a spotlight on the burning garbage dump fire that is wcucom. Instead of addressing any problems, he wants me to be quiet because its easier for him to sit there and do nothing while he collects 400,000$/ year from unsuspecting students. How else can you explain persistently low board scores? How can you explain mediocre residencies? How else can you explain the school going though 3 deans in less than 7 years? How else can you explain the high faculty turnover? How else can you explain the high attrition?

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend, if anyone shows "utter disdain" its because they learned it from the admin and profs at wcucom. Truth is, Ive gotten nothing but love and support from students. Everyone knows who I am. I suggest you grow a thicker skin if you think anonymous comments on SDN matter to me. Id happily transfer but thats not the point. The dean wants me gone because its easier to get rid of one student than it is to address the severe, systemic issues that have plagued wcucom since it was created. Go read other posters comments in previous years threads for proof. Basically he's mad that Ive shined a spotlight on the burning garbage dump fire that is wcucom. Instead of addressing any problems, he wants me to be quiet because its easier for him to sit there and do nothing while he collects 400,000$/ year from unsuspecting students. How else can you explain persistently low board scores? How can you explain mediocre residencies? How else can you explain the school going though 3 deans in less than 7 years? How else can you explain the high faculty turnover? How else can you explain the high attrition?

Be a man and transfer, or work to be at the top of your class and move on. Right now you are whining like a little girl.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Be a man and transfer, or work to be at the top of your class and move on. Right now you are whining like a little girl.

So when someone is exposing the truth in order to force improvement, they're labeled as cowards or little girls?

The best way for WCU to shut up people like jasongenova is to take away their ammos as in better board scores, resident placements, and learning environment that works for everyone.

Maybe a corporate shill like you should sh...

So when someone is exposing the truth in order to force improvement, they're labeled as cowards or little girls?

The best way for WCU to shut up people like jasongenova is to take away their ammos as in better board scores, resident placements, and learning environment that works for everyone.

There's a difference between making a point and posting the same point over and over again (aka "whining"). I think we all understood what he/she was saying 10 posts ago. I don't want to come into this thread and read the same content rehashed. It's annoying.

Let it go and let's get back on topic.

Sooooooooooooooo Topic Change

What are the research opportunities like at WCUCOM? I can't imagine they're phenomenal since it's not a research school, but I would like to do some research during Medical school (maybe the summers).

Thanks!

I've seen enough of your posts on SDN to be totally unimpressed. Enjoy FM in Oregon. If Jasongenova had a clue he would work with whatever student leadership team there is to address any issues. Continually bashing his school on SDN does nothing to address any problems, all it does is show his immaturity. And many SDN readers get tired of the incessant whining.

I've seen enough of your posts on SDN to be totally unimpressed. Enjoy FM in Oregon. If Jasongenova had a clue he would work with whatever student leadership team there is to address any issues. Continually bashing his school on SDN does nothing to address any problems, all it does is show his immaturity. And many SDN readers get tired of the incessant whining.

Then don't read it. Ignore it. Be mature.

Now I would like for you to stop derailing this thread so that those who care more about their future than an online, anonymous argument can receive their advice. I'm not angry; I'm just fed up with people acting like children. Be professional and use your energy to better yourself, not to throw digital shade at others.

NOW: What are the research opportunities like at WCUCOM? I can't imagine they're phenomenal since it's not a research school, but I would like to do some research during Medical school (maybe the summers).

Thanks!

Ok a point well taken. Since I'm in Denver, I don't have a lot of info. in this regard pertaining to WCU, but I can provide some advice. I do know Southern Miss. is also in Hattiesburg, and they have a number of graduate level health care programs, so I would start to network over there first. Immediately starting the beginning of your M1 year. I did hear that WCU was developing a fledgling research program but then there was that tornado. This is what my son did who is in Med school, he applied early for positions at the NIH and CDC. Make sure your GPA > 3.0 your M1 year or you will get screened out. The hassle is that you will need to relocate for the summer and pay rent (twice). In the end he ended up getting a research position at the University of Colorado School of Medicine which was a local gig and much more cost effective.

So that takes me back to you networking like mad at the Univ. Of Southern Miss. in their physical and life science departments as soon as you get to Hattiesburg.

You can stay local and do research without relocating. Sorry for derailing your thread...

Last edited:

Is that supposed to be an insult? What do they call the physician who graduates last in his class? Doctor...

That's actually a compliment considering that you assume that I will graduate and match to a residency.

Your dig game is weak.

Ok a point well taken. Since I'm in Denver, I don't have a lot of info. in this regard pertaining to WCU, but I can provide some advice. I do know Southern Miss. is also in Hattiesburg, and they have a number of graduate level health care programs, so I would start to network over there first. Immediately starting the beginning of your M1 year. I did hear that WCU was developing a fledgling research program but then there was that tornado. This is what my son did who is in Med school, he applied early for positions at the NIH and CDC. Make sure your GPA > 3.0 your M1 year or you will get screened out. The hassle is that you will need to relocate for the summer and pay rent (twice). In the end he ended up getting a research position at the University of Colorado School of Medicine which was a local gig and much more cost effective.

So that takes me back to you networking like mad at the Univ. Of Southern Miss. in their physical and life science departments as soon as you get to Hattiesburg.

You can stay local and do research without relocating. Sorry for derailing your thread...

This guy seems to be very opinionated and acts big despite the fact that he is currently not a medical student who doesn't know anything about medical school. Hm...

NOW: What are the research opportunities like at WCUCOM? I can't imagine they're phenomenal since it's not a research school, but I would like to do some research during Medical school (maybe the summers).

Thanks!

As a fellow DO, I'm going to answer your question.

Research opportunities are limited at 90% of all DOs out there. If you want a research point on your CV, you should target clinical research or case reports during your third year. Your main goal in 1st two years are not to fail classes, learn your basic science well, and prep for board. If you truly do these three things, I doubt that you will have any time for research with the exception of the summer after MS1.

As a fellow DO, I'm going to answer your question.

Research opportunities are limited at 90% of all DOs out there. If you want a research point on your CV, you should target clinical research or case reports during your third year. Your main goal in 1st two years are not to fail classes, learn your basic science well, and prep for board. If you truly do these three things, I doubt that you will have any time for research with the exception of the summer after MS1.

Thanks to both of you!! Again, I'm not angry lol I just want real discussion here instead of all this hate.

I will definitely do what you said, Mr./Ms. Denver. I hope you don't mind if I ask you questions personally on here! I see you have a child in medical school!

And Mr./Ms. Gunner, I understand. I plan on trying to do research during M1 summer. I understand grades are most important, but that doesn't mean I can't attempt to find research. Thanks for you advice, also!!

Fantastic advice. Thank you!

@DOHopefulPlease you might want to reach out the University of Mississippi medical school as well.

Just wondering: When do you plan on doing research? I'm tryna see what my peers are planning on doing since we are gonna be in the same class lmao

I'm going to contact LSU, Ole Miss, Tulane, and UAB in the spring, as well as do what @Wjldenver mentioned

Then don't read it. Ignore it. Be mature.

Now I would like for you to stop derailing this thread so that those who care more about their future than an online, anonymous argument can receive their advice. I'm not angry; I'm just fed up with people acting like children. Be professional and use your energy to better yourself, not to throw digital shade at others.

Thanks!
Unlike MD schools DO schools don't have research assumed as a part of med school. Replaced that time slot with OMM. If you want research you have to go find it in your huge amounts of spare time.

I will stay focused on my medical education for the first two years at least rather than bothered by thoughts about research.
I don't have insanity to pursue the two at the same time.

Last edited:
Unlike MD schools DO schools don't have research assumed as a part of med school. Replaced that time slot with OMM. If you want research you have to go find it in your huge amounts of spare time.
Any news on the attendance policy for the upcoming year?

We were told 80% attendance policy at the interview.

What a chitty policy !!!

If I recall correctly, I believe that ACOM had a similar 80% policy, yet I don't find too many people complaining about it on their thread. There is some benefit to mandatory attendance, while inconvenient, it's not the end all, omg, worst thing in the world EVER.

At least if I have to show up everyday, I don't have to put on a shirt and tie.

If I recall correctly, I believe that ACOM had a similar 80% policy, yet I don't find too many people complaining about it on their thread. There is some benefit to mandatory attendance, while inconvenient, it's not the end all, omg, worst thing in the world EVER.

At least if I have to show up everyday, I don't have to put on a shirt and tie.
Agreed. If it's such a deal breaker, then apply again next cycle to programs without an attendance policy.

Oh, you don't want to do that? Then get over it.

Agreed. If it's such a deal breaker, then apply again next cycle to programs without an attendance policy.

Oh, you don't want to do that? Then get over it.

The school seems to focus on professionalism. I think they just want to make us accountable to schedules, which I actually respect.

The thing I DON'T like is only giving the student 1 week of dedicated time to study for boards, which is kinda unfortunate. But that just means we have to start earlier, which we should do anyways.

The school seems to focus on professionalism. I think they just want to make us accountable to schedules, which I actually respect.

The thing I DON'T like is only giving the student 1 week of dedicated time to study for boards, which is kinda unfortunate. But that just means we have to start earlier, which we should do anyways.

Yeah, the lack of dedicated board time does suck. However, most people that score well on STEP do a lot of studying throughout OMSII, so that doesn't bother me.

Do yall know WCU's STEP and COMLEX track record?