William Carey 2017 MS in Biomedical Science program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Just wanted to let ya'll know to expand your studying beyond Kaplan's prep. I'd suggest using AKLectures.com for biochem/bio and Chadsvideos.com for chemistry. These are free sources and are amazing! I used these religiously.

I'd also suggest reading through (multiple times) the reddit psychology 100 page study guide.

And make sure to do atleast 5 practice exams (3 AAMC, the Section bank multiple times, and 1-2 non-kaplan practice exam) ontop of the kaplan exams!

Although Kaplan is great, I think the BMS program at WCU only administers one practice exam, which I believe is no where enough. Otherwise, you all should be prepared in terms of content review! I got a 508 and studied for a month and a half using the stuff I just posted.

Good luck to everyone taking the MCAT; ya'll got this!
yes, everyone talks about khan academy but i thought aklectures was incredible! great teaching style, thorough, and i believe hes a medical student so he a. thoroughly understands the topic and b. knows what we need to know and learn

with the kaplan course you get access to all the AAMC content, i would do alllll that material for sure (its not that bad, and i did the section banks a few times tbh, untimed and timed, they're generally more difficult than the actual exam). never used chadsvideos, but honestly it sounds really good bc gen chem was so integral and i felt a little unprepared going in (i would focus on gen chem more than physics or other things, orgo content is not that bad if you did OK in undergrad orgo)

grain of salt, obviously, i haven't taken the WCU MCAT course this is just what i'm saying from taking the mcat and doing well enough

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted, can't wait to meet you all!
I just got an email saying to contact Dr. Roark to register for fall classes. I talked to Dr. Roark a couple weeks ago and he said Curanda Woodland should be contacted regarding registration. Just wondering, has anyone registered for classes yet? And If so, how did you go about doing so?

Also, is anyone else having problems logging into their WCU email? Just want to know if I should contact tech support

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an email saying to contact Dr. Roark to register for fall classes. I talked to Dr. Roark a couple weeks ago and he said Curanda Woodland should be contacted regarding registration. Just wondering, has anyone registered for classes yet? And If so, how did you go about doing so?

Also, is anyone else having problems logging into their WCU email? Just want to know if I should contact tech support
I haven't done anything yet. I was able to log on to mine not too long ago. Just make sure you set your account up and reset it if you need to.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Update:

I just talked to Miss Woodland, for anyone who doesn't know already the official dates for the MCAT prep course are July 10th- Aug 19th. Then there is a break until orientation starting August 28th. So far out class size it at 13 students.

For last years BMS class 4 (or 5) students got accepted into the Medical school. With one on the waiting list.

The competitiveness went up this year beacuse average MCAT score of applicants went up to 506 from 500 last year.

It is on us to create a Facebook page.

I'm considering making one and then letting her know so she can add other members of the class. I also would like to form like a MCAT study group (more like a discussion group) so we can at least discuss topics before starting the prep class. We are all in this together, we should all strive to do well together.

Reactions: 2 users

She sent an email today letting us know they will handle registration at orientation Aug 28th. So no worries homie.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard if there are any required events we need to attend the week between the end of the MCAT course and the beginning of classes? I registered for the MCAT August 24th and am hoping there's nothing that conflicts with that date. Also, would anyone be interested in starting a facebook page for this years class?
I talked to Mrs. Woodland today, and the week between the MCAT prep course ending and classes starting is completely open! I plan on taking it the 24th as well.

Update:

I just talked to Miss Woodland, for anyone who doesn't know already the official dates for the MCAT prep course are July 10th- Aug 19th. Then there is a break until orientation starting August 28th. So far out class size it at 13 students.

For last years BMS class 4 (or 5) students got accepted into the Medical school. With one on the waiting list.

The competitiveness went up this year beacuse average MCAT score of applicants went up to 506 from 500 last year.

It is on us to create a Facebook page.

I'm considering making one and then letting her know so she can add other members of the class. I also would like to form like a MCAT study group (more like a discussion group) so we can at least discuss topics before starting the prep class. We are all in this together, we should all strive to do well together.

I was planning on deactivating my Facebook until I make a 525 on the MCAT hahaha! Do you guys want to maybe start with a Groupme?

Edit* If you guys want to start PMing me your numbers, I'll make a Groupme!

Last edited:
I was planning on deactivating my Facebook until I make a 525 on the MCAT hahaha! Do you guys want to maybe start with a Groupme?

Edit* If you guys want to start PMing me your numbers, I'll make a Groupme!
I'm up for it.

Is the average score for admission to the MBS program a 506 or is that for the medical school?

If you are not logged in once you log in it takes you straight to the page to join the group. If you are already logged in it should take you straight to the group.

I'm a bit late in finding out about this program, but applied last week. Can anyone tell me how many students are accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a bit late in finding out about this program, but applied last week. Can anyone tell me how many students are accepted?
i believe more than 20 but less than 30? the class so far is very small, around 14 last i heard, so you should have a good chance even though you're applying late

How many applicants are there?

My stats aren't good. I doubt I'll get in, but it'll be a miracle.

Looking for help with GPA and MCAT, so saw that this was boasted on the program.

cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.0 MCAT: 487
3 publications, 150+ DO shadowing, plenty of EC's, ER Scribe, Research in Neurosurgery and Orthopedics..

My numbers are a red flag, and am honestly nervous.

Looking for help with GPA and MCAT, so saw that this was boasted on the program.

3 publications, 150+ DO shadowing, plenty of EC's, ER Scribe, Research in Neurosurgery and Orthopedics..

3 publications is pretty impressive!

I would imagine because of your GPA they will accept you. The MCAT prep course is to raise your MCAT score so I don't think that would hold you back. They would just of course want you to take it after the prep course. But I'm sure they will want us all to take it honestly.

you will get in, but you'll need a higher MCAT to matriculate to the DO school

You shouldn't have a problem getting in! I'm sure you'll be joining our Facebook group next week. We are all doing this program to improve. We can work together to help each other raise our scores and learn better study habits/ do well in the classes!

Thank you all for your encouragement. You guys sound awesome and I'm excited to be a part of that group, if accepted.

Is an interview/linkage offered to the DO school?

Thank you all for your encouragement. You guys sound awesome and I'm excited to be a part of that group, if accepted.

No, applying as a MBS graduate you are in the same pool as everyone else.

yes, 3.0 gpa and a sufficient mcat score = guaranteed interview

How soon after applying did you guys hear back?
Don't get discouraged by this.. But I applied and got in two days later on a Friday morning. I know they are in the process of moving offices back into the medical school so there may be a delay in reviewing applications at the moment. We only have 14 people in the class right now so I'm 99% sure you will have positive news soon :)

ok, so should all students know a decision within the next week or so?

i applied two weeks ago

I'm not sure. When I applied, Mrs. Woodland said decisions were usually made within a two week period. You could always e-mail or give the office a call. They are all very nice and I'm sure would let you know when you should hear back.

Just got my acceptance. Curious about the matriculation rate into medical school. Are students guaranteed an interview?

Just got my acceptance. Curious about the matriculation rate into medical school. Are students guaranteed an interview?
I don't think an interview is guaranteed, but if you have at least a 500 mcat and do well in the program you should get an interview. I heard what held other applicants back from this program was lower than 500 mcat scores. Pm me your number and I'll add you to the GroupMe!

Hey everyone been accepted to the BMS program and will be attending the MCAT program as well. Anyone find a place a to live down there yet?

Hey everyone been accepted to the BMS program and will be attending the MCAT program as well. Anyone find a place a to live down there yet?

Try Mark VI. They has spacious 12K foot apts for 680 and everything is relatively new and it's close to WC.

Hello everyone! For those who started the MCAT program yesterday, how was it?

Turned down my seat, but best of luck to those in the program! You guys were incredibly receptive and helpful!

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).