Will working as a research associate count as research hours for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have plenty of volunteering and shadowing hours this application cycle, but I never got any research hours at my University, because I could not get into a lab. However, I am about to interview for a paid research associate position with a company. Should I update my primary application with research hours I gain from working with this company? Or do Medical Schools only like to see research hours coming from an academic institution?

Members don't see this ad.

I have "clinical research analyst" at a pharmaceutical company on my experiences section and I categorized it into research. I called several (many) schools about it, and UCSF told me, "Well, what do you think? It has the word research in it..."

It's not bench research, but it IS research. I've got a feeling that one is not looked more favorably than the other, it's all about what you gained from it.