Other OT-Related Information Will OT be automated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTwannabe3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I stumbled across this article yesterday by the Financial Times (Subscription) and it really surprised me. According to this article, "10 out of 36 tasks by physical and occupational therapists can be automated." Even though I personally don't think OT and PT should be lumped into one category, do you think the article has a point?

Previous studies such as the one completed by Oxford (Will Your Job Be Done By A Machine?) stated OT has a .3% chance of becoming automated. Maybe the difference between the two studies is that the first looks at the tasks subject to automation while the second looks the chance OT will be completely done by a robot?

What are your thoughts? What OT settings do you think have tasks which are subject to higher levels of automation? Should I even be worrying about this?

Members don't see this ad.

We'll be fine. Certain parts may turn into us taking on a more coaching role via telehealth, but it's going to be a long time before that becomes an issue. Also, OT telehealth is only recognized in a few states.

We'll be fine. Certain parts may turn into us taking on a more coaching role via telehealth, but it's going to be a long time before that becomes an issue. Also, OT telehealth is only recognized in a few states.
And telehealth is only practical with certain conditions and situations. For a lot of the clientele we see in many settings, hands-on can't really be replaced. A machine couldn't do the job I do with the vast majority of my patients every day.