Ohiotostl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I feel so fortunate to have found this blog. I am in desperate need of some support. Here's my backstory:

My husband is a non-traditional (perspective) med student who completed a post-baccalaureate program this Spring. He was a career changer, working for 7+ years as a Firefighter/Paramedic. He was accepted to a prestigious school to complete this post-bacc program where he earned a 3.65 GPA. His undergraduate GPA was a 3.1 and he scored a 504 on his MCAT. He has a kick-ass PS, as well as solid LOR's and experience as a first responder. It has been difficult because my career as a teacher has been put on hold to ensure he follows his dream. We also have a 3-year old daughter and live 7 hours away from any familial support. He is going to make an AMAZING doctor and I am confident he will succeed but I am just feeling UBER stressed at the moment. Any kind words of encouragement? Success stories? Thoughts on if/where he will be accepted to Med School?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I feel so fortunate to have found this blog. I am in desperate need of some support. Here's my backstory:

My husband is a non-traditional (perspective) med student who completed a post-baccalaureate program this Spring. He was a career changer, working for 7+ years as a Firefighter/Paramedic. He was accepted to a prestigious school to complete this post-bacc program where he earned a 3.65 GPA. His undergraduate GPA was a 3.1 and he scored a 504 on his MCAT. He has a kick-ass PS, as well as solid LOR's and experience as a first responder. It has been difficult because my career as a teacher has been put on hold to ensure he follows his dream. We also have a 3-year old daughter and live 7 hours away from any familial support. He is going to make an AMAZING doctor and I am confident he will succeed but I am just feeling UBER stressed at the moment. Any kind words of encouragement? Success stories? Thoughts on if/where he will be accepted to Med School?
Do a "Chance Me" thread in the What Are My Chances forum

As the wife of a physician and mother of a medical student I don't have any very specific advice, other than to post in the What are my chances forum with your husband's stats, be sure to post your home state, and also any extra curricular activity. A 504 MCAT score is, I think around a 28 in the old format, which may make MD schools out of reach, but I think worthy of applying to DO schools.

Just realize that as his wife, feeling "Uber" stressed will not help him at all. You will often have to be the one to do everything, almost to the extent of being a"single" parent, so take some time to "de-stress" and be supportive.