Wife of Potential Resident (Failed Step 1 twice)

florence1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
In need of some support/advice on how to handle the stress of being married to someone who has failed the step 1 twice (passed the 3rd time with decent score) and is currently studying for Step 2 (written and practicial). I know I have a bit of a control problem anyway but this is driving me to the point where I am not sure what to do.

I am pregnant with our first child and am due right before he finds out if he matched. It is now beginning of November and he has one interview offer for a psych residency. I feel like I am going to break if he does not get any more interviews or if he doesn't match. We are both in debt. I am currently the only one working. On top of this, he does not seem as motivated to study as other med students I have seen in the past. Is there anyway for me to help him? Is there anyone out there with any advice on how I can stay calm? Other options besides residencies in terms of paying off debt?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
In need of some support/advice on how to handle the stress of being married to someone who has failed the step 1 twice (passed the 3rd time with decent score) and is currently studying for Step 2 (written and practicial). I know I have a bit of a control problem anyway but this is driving me to the point where I am not sure what to do.

I am pregnant with our first child and am due right before he finds out if he matched. It is now beginning of November and he has one interview offer for a psych residency. I feel like I am going to break if he does not get any more interviews or if he doesn't match. We are both in debt. I am currently the only one working. On top of this, he does not seem as motivated to study as other med students I have seen in the past. Is there anyway for me to help him? Is there anyone out there with any advice on how I can stay calm? Other options besides residencies in terms of paying off debt?
I'm sorry you are feeling this way but remember , the most important thing you can do for your husband is support him emotionally as if he feels that you believe in him he can do anything :O, is weird but man are like that , if they feel that the wife believes in them they can conquer anything ;).
Hope all works out good for both of you and blessed delivery :rolleyes:

Riding him about it will not help. Try and be supportive. But yeah, things are not looking good. Hopefully, he will get a few more interviews and there is always the SOAP.

IF a kid on the way, does not make him want to hustle hard then I do not know what else you can do to motivate him. Sorry.