Why such Negative feedback-LARKIN COP Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDsoflo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is Larkin getting such negative feedback on SDN? Is it because it is a new school? If they get candidate status in April, then where is the harm in going there? I know it is only private loans but other than that what is so bad about it?
Interview went well!
PROs: they should get candidate status in April, its a 3-year program, you get to do IPPES/APPES at the same as other established COPs-walgreens, cleveland clinic..etc-the ACPE already approved the curriculum.
Cons: no average on the Naplex because its a new school, private loans and campus is not really a campus..lol

Members don't see this ad.

Why is Larkin getting such negative feedback on SDN? Is it because it is a new school? If they get candidate status in April, then where is the harm in going there? I know it is only private loans but other than that what is so bad about it?
Interview went well!
PROs: they should get candidate status in April, its a 3-year program, you get to do IPPES/APPES at the same as other established COPs-walgreens, cleveland clinic..etc-the ACPE already approved the curriculum.
Cons: no average on the Naplex because its a new school, private loans and campus is not really a campus..lol
Don't forget to add not SACS accreditated to those cons. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Don't forget to add not SACS accreditated to those cons. Lol
Hi!
Other than no federal loans, what other risks are associated with no SACS? The school gave us the impression it wasn't a big deal. I'm curious does it will it effect job opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Other than no federal loans, what other risks are associated with no SACS? The school gave us the impression it wasn't a big deal. I'm curious does it will it effect job opportunities?
"When you graduate and look for a job, employers take into consideration the school you attended and if it is accredited by a reliable agency. If your degree is from an institution that has questionable accreditation, employers will question the validity of your degree and your potential as a good job candidate. Also, if you plan on transferring to another institution at any time in your academic career, no school will take transfer credits from an unaccredited university"
--http://www.collegesanddegrees.com/accreditation

Reactions: 1 user
"When you graduate and look for a job, employers take into consideration the school you attended and if it is accredited by a reliable agency. If your degree is from an institution that has questionable accreditation, employers will question the validity of your degree and your potential as a good job candidate. Also, if you plan on transferring to another institution at any time in your academic career, no school will take transfer credits from an unaccredited university"
--http://www.collegesanddegrees.com/accreditation
Wow! Thanks for clearing this up for me. I did not know that I wouldn't be able to transfer if I needed to. That is a HUGE risk!

Wow! Thanks for clearing this up for me. I did not know that I wouldn't be able to transfer if I needed to. That is a HUGE risk!
Yeah. If the school was in the same predicament like USF was a couple years back (SACS accredited but not ACPE accredited) it would be a better risk because the university itself is already established.
I feel that Larkin can get away with the job candidate thing a bit because they already have hospitals and clinics to their name. But other than that, having a SACS accreditation is a big deal

I'm a current UF COP student. Everyone I know is honestly a little pissed this place even opened. Florida is ridiculously oversaturated with pharmacists. It's even hard FIND rotation spots for students in the 5 schools we already have open. Much of the vitriol is that there should absolutely be no need for another pharmacy school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current'y UF COP student. Everyone I know is hoenstly a little pissed this place even open. Florida is ridiculously oversaturated with pharmacists. It's even hard to even FIND rotation spots currently in the 5 schools we already have open. Much is the vitriol is that there should absolutely be no need for another pharmacy school.
Yes! Especially when you put a pharmacy school in Miami-Dade County....THE COUNTY WITH THE BIGGEST OVER SATURATION IN ALL OF FLORIDA! :mad:
:boom:

Interview went well!
Larkin University College of Pharmacy. Op-ED article by inaugural class members titled "Why we chose Larkin".
Why we chose Larkin