Why should anyone do a tDPT program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LegendOfThePhoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why should anyone with a bachelor's or master's degree in physical therapy do a tDPT program?

I don't see any advantages, unless you are someone who graduated 30 years ago and have not kept up with the evidence-based trend.

Seriously, is there any big reason to do a tDPT if you graduated recently with a masters or bachelors?

I graduated from a foreign PT program, and after I got everything evaluated, I was informed that my program was equivalent to a bachelor's degree. I took all the rubbish undergrad courses to remediate my situation and passed the NPTE on my first try. I know that my foreign degree is on par with new grads who are graduating from DPT programs, so what is the point of doing a tDPT program?

Will the state licensing boards demand a DPT or tDPT title with the APTA 2020 Vision plan? Is that the whole idea of the tDPT program, or is it just a tool for schools to make more money? Because clinically it does not seem very interesting.

I would consider doing it if it was mandatory, but otherwise I'd spend my money in more interesting courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I did it about 18 years after graduating with a MS PT. The reasons I chose to do it were: It was relatively inexpensive, I did most of it online, I had to do CEUs anyway. I recieved a degree rather than a certificate of completion, and, the future of the profession is the DPT so I didn't want to compare unfavorably with my peers (on paper).

I learned a few things that I did not have in my on campus program. We had a class on pharmacology and radiology which gave me some tidbits. All in all, it was worth it to me.

Reactions: 1 user
If the issue is "looking good on paper", what about doing a certification program in a specific area of practice, like manual therapy? Maybe doing a fellowship program? These are far more productive than the tDPT program. Or does the magic letter "D" still gives more credibility to your credentials?

Members don't see this ad :)
If the issue is "looking good on paper", what about doing a certification program in a specific area of practice, like manual therapy? Maybe doing a fellowship program? These are far more productive than the tDPT program. Or does the magic letter "D" still gives more credibility to your credentials?

Individuals make their choice in pursuing a tDPT, DSc, fellowship, specialization, etc. based on what they place their own personal values on. Most people with a BS who have decided to pursue the tDPT have said that they have gained a lot from doing so (less so if they already carried an MPT). I have not looked at or been through a tDPT program so I can't comment on the specifics. However, by your response it seems that you have already made up your mind on the value of the tDPT.

Is it due to insecurity or disappointment in that your equivalency came out to a BS that you ask yourself "why"? If its so insignificant, pursue the other options and don't hang on the why. Who knows, you may change your mind in the future.

What foreign school did you receive your PT degree from?

Last edited:

With all due respect, it was a personal decision. all of the new grads have a DPT (or nearly all) so when my name is on my business card I wanted it to have at least the same credentials as the rest. I go to plenty of courses so being current is not an issue. I live in a rural area so a residency is not an option. Manual therapy, well, lets just say that they seem to be rife with gurus and soggy science. too much woo woo for me. if the direction of the APTA is to go with the DPT, why not keep my degree current with the new grads?

Please read the first 4 words of my response before you reply with the tone that your first response was written with. You asked a question and I gave you a thoughtful answer.

Manual therapy, well, lets just say that they seem to be rife with gurus and soggy science. too much woo woo for me.

This is a tangent I know, but can you elaborate for me?

However, by your response it seems that you have already made up your mind on the value of the tDPT.

Is it due to insecurity or disappointment in that your equivalency came out to a BS that you ask yourself "why"? If its so insignificant, pursue the other options and don't hang on the why. Who knows, you may change your mind in the future.

My credentials came as a BS because that is simply how the credentialing process works, and I am very satisfied with it. It is not due to disappointment nor insecurity that I ask this question. I only ask this because it seems like information is scarce regarding who should take the tDPT (pertaining to recent grads with BS or MS) and whether or not it will be mandatory for the practice of the profession. I may be expressing a rather negative vibe towards it because the thought if redoing stuff I have seen in school is not interesting to me, and being at the beginning of my career, I want to see new things.

From what I've seen, most tDPT programs will only be offered until 2016 or 2017. Keeping in mind that "Vision 2020" is closer than it seems, I'm seeking information to see which way I should go.

I believe that PTs with a BS or MS will be allowed to practice if they dont have a tDPT, otherwise the system would collapse. However, I have not found this information explicitly, and that is why I'm here looking for clues.

I don't know if you were offended by my question or my wording, but I'm guessing you were. In that case, I apologize, no offence was intended to you or anyone else.

With all due respect, it was a personal decision. all of the new grads have a DPT (or nearly all) so when my name is on my business card I wanted it to have at least the same credentials as the rest. I go to plenty of courses so being current is not an issue. I live in a rural area so a residency is not an option. Manual therapy, well, lets just say that they seem to be rife with gurus and soggy science. too much woo woo for me. if the direction of the APTA is to go with the DPT, why not keep my degree current with the new grads?

Please read the first 4 words of my response before you reply with the tone that your first response was written with. You asked a question and I gave you a thoughtful answer.

I meant no offence with my reply and I appologie if you interpreted it that way. Nothing was directed towards your actions or your decision. I appreciate your responce, and like I mentioned above, I am not intereted in a tDPT program and would only consider it if it was mandatory for all PTs.

Thanks everyone for the input.

This is a tangent I know, but can you elaborate for me?

I just have a negative opinion of many of the claiims of the MFR crowd and find the research does not support many of those claims, and I think although manipulation is proven effective in a subset of patients with back pain, it has limited effectiveness with many, plus it breeds dependence upon the therapist providing the treatment. I would rather see therapists teach the patients to help themselves rather than "doing things to them in order to heal them" . I have no problem with manual therapy being done as an adjunct but many of the therapists who I have worked who are "manual therapists" spend the vast majority of their treatment time doing the manual therapy and in my professional opinion, it should be a tool to use, not a plan of care.

I have no problem with manual therapy being done as an adjunct but many of the therapists who I have worked who are "manual therapists" spend the vast majority of their treatment time doing the manual therapy and in my professional opinion, it should be a tool to use, not a plan of care.

Truthseeker, I have seen what you are describing and I would agree with you. When a clinician only uses manual therapy, I think that is a problem. At the same time, I think using strictly exercises can also be a big problem. When I first came out of college (as an AT) I was very set on "exercise is all I need" and I didn't believe in much massage or other manual therapies. I had the opportunity to attend the M1 Graston Technique course and I've really taken a liking to using IASTM. The biggest thing for me with GT is its emphasis on combining GT with exercise and stretching. It's not "just manual therapy." It puts it together, IMO. I think that's very important. As you said, manual therapy is great when combined with other rehab modalities.

Why should anyone with a bachelor's or master's degree in physical therapy do a tDPT program?

I don't see any advantages, unless you are someone who graduated 30 years ago and have not kept up with the evidence-based trend.

Seriously, is there any big reason to do a tDPT if you graduated recently with a masters or bachelors?

I graduated from a foreign PT program, and after I got everything evaluated, I was informed that my program was equivalent to a bachelor's degree. I took all the rubbish undergrad courses to remediate my situation and passed the NPTE on my first try. I know that my foreign degree is on par with new grads who are graduating from DPT programs, so what is the point of doing a tDPT program?

Will the state licensing boards demand a DPT or tDPT title with the APTA 2020 Vision plan? Is that the whole idea of the tDPT program, or is it just a tool for schools to make more money? Because clinically it does not seem very interesting.

I would consider doing it if it was mandatory, but otherwise I'd spend my money in more interesting courses.

Check the pass/fail rates of US vs foreign PTs taking the NPTE and then compare that to the PTA pass/fail rate of foreign vs US. PTA is similar, PT is not. Is this not evidence of inferior training of foreign PT programs vs US?

A bachelor's degree in any subject is not the same as a doctorate in the same subject. There may be lawful equivalency, but educationally it isn't in my opinion. It's equivalent with a US bachelor's, GET OVER IT. Post your PT school's curriculum and we can compare it with 110 plus credits of graduate school after a bachelors.

I just have a negative opinion of many of the claiims of the MFR crowd and find the research does not support many of those claims, and I think although manipulation is proven effective in a subset of patients with back pain, it has limited effectiveness with many, plus it breeds dependence upon the therapist providing the treatment. I would rather see therapists teach the patients to help themselves rather than "doing things to them in order to heal them" . I have no problem with manual therapy being done as an adjunct but many of the therapists who I have worked who are "manual therapists" spend the vast majority of their treatment time doing the manual therapy and in my professional opinion, it should be a tool to use, not a plan of care.

Ya, I can definitely see that. But I suppose creating a "dependence" on manual therapy keeps patients coming back (at least until their insurance allowed visits cap is reached)...

Check the pass/fail rates of US vs foreign PTs taking the NPTE and then compare that to the PTA pass/fail rate of foreign vs US. PTA is similar, PT is not. Is this not evidence of inferior training of foreign PT programs vs US?

A bachelor's degree in any subject is not the same as a doctorate in the same subject. There may be lawful equivalency, but educationally it isn't in my opinion. It's equivalent with a US bachelor's, GET OVER IT. Post your PT school's curriculum and we can compare it with 110 plus credits of graduate school after a bachelors.

:corny:

One reason to do the tDPT pertains to the area of teaching at the university level. Currently, accredited programs are primarily at the DPT level. If you have a desire to teach in a PT program somewhere in the future, there are a couple of criteria you must have.

One is a terminal degree which would be a DPT. The other is a board certified specialty. I know one of the instructors when I was in the program was doing the tDPT because it is required of all teachers at the doctorate level.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why should anyone with a bachelor's or master's degree in physical therapy do a tDPT program? .....

There are a number of reasons, but the APTA has a plan, Vision 2020, in place which is striving to have all licensed physical therapists credentialed as DPTs. The rationale stems from Direct Access and autonomy of practice. In order for a field of professionals to have autonomy they must be a doctoring profession. Having anything less than that will further halt the progress of the field. Consider the possibility that at some point you will lose your license in the U.S. if you are without a DPT, or be denied licensing if attempting to gain PT work in the U.S.

With autonomy comes a better bargaining position when lobbying for direct access nationally.

There are a number of reasons, but the APTA has a plan, Vision 2020, in place which is striving to have all licensed physical therapists credentialed as DPTs. The rationale stems from Direct Access and autonomy of practice. In order for a field of professionals to have autonomy they must be a doctoring profession. Having anything less than that will further halt the progress of the field. Consider the possibility that at some point you will lose your license in the U.S. if you are without a DPT, or be denied licensing if attempting to gain PT work in the U.S.

With autonomy comes a better bargaining position when lobbying for direct access nationally.

Are Massage Therapists doctors? Yet, they have direct access to patients.

And, I would bet that the FSBPT will NEVER mandate that a PT needs to have a DPT to practice.

Whether the DPT becomes mandatory for licensing remains to be seen. I know it is in one's best interest to be aligned with his/her colleagues. That said, it is an individual choice. One that, at the time, does not bring greater benefits. So it is up to you. Seventy years from now there will only be DPTs practicing. This is our future. I hope you choose to be a part of it.

MTs do not diagnose patients, so this comment is argumentative at best.

MTs do not diagnose patients, so this comment is argumentative at best.

Yes. I posted it as an opposition to your post, which I suppose makes it an argument. But, you're wrong. You don't need to be a doctoring profession via credentials in order to have autonomy. Many states have had some form of direct access for years prior to the first DPT being awarded. And now, all 50 states at least have direct access for an initial evaluation, even though none of those states require you to have a DPT in order to practice.

Seventy years from now there will only be DPTs practicing. This is our future. I hope you choose to be a part of it.

I take umbrage at several aspects of this statement:

1. I'm just as concerned about the "now" of our profession as I am the future. We have PT schools charging massive amounts of tuition and requiring students to take more credit hours to obtain a degree that provides absolutely no professional benefit to them, resulting in massively high debt-to-income ratios for new graduates. The DPT hasn't fixed this problem - it's caused it.
2. We have an ever increasing number of US citizens suffering from chronic pain, and the majority of PT schools don't even address modern pain science in a way that is relevant to a new clinician. Many are still using the Gate Control theory as the be all and end all, and take a very Cartesian view of the pain experience in general. The DPT hasn't fixed this.
3. You imply that the only way that the "old guard" could be a part of the future is to obtain a DPT, or more accurately, a tDPT. The letters aren't the thing. Engagement in the profession is, and a commitment to science-based practice. You either are engaged and committed, or you're not. The DPT can't instill those characteristics in you. They're inherent, not bestowed along with a diploma and a hood.
4. Of course there will be only DPTs practicing 70 years from now. The PTs with a BS or MS, many of whom have helped fight for the aforementioned direct access without having the letters DPT after their name, will have retired by then. Hell, you'll have retired by then. You're just stating the obvious here.

So, keep hoping that I'll be a part of your professions future. But your posts on this thread make me think that you don't "get it." So, I hope that you'll lose some of the arrogance and get a more objective view about the PT profession. Because putting a bunch of clinical generalists into the field with new initials and more debt hasn't been the panacea we were told it would be. It may have caused more problems than we had before.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I posted it as an opposition to your post, which I suppose makes it an argument. But, you're wrong. You don't need to be a doctoring profession via credentials in order to have autonomy. Many states have had some form of direct access for years prior to the first DPT being awarded. And now, all 50 states at least have direct access for an initial evaluation, even though none of those states require you to have a DPT in order to practice.

In order to work in mainstream healthcare you do. I would argue that massage therapy, personal training, accupuncture are not in the mainstream. They are not reimbursable by insurance. They are not commonly referred to by other professionals in the mainstream. I would actually argue that the lack of direct access for mainstream professions transitioning to a doctorate has to do with history. The lack of access is not a negative on the part of a transition, it's a negative on the part of the slowness of the law to change, ignorance among other professions, etc. There surely was direct access to PT's that were in effect prior to the DPT ( as there should've been and continue to be ), but how often was it utilized? Do you not think it is becoming more widespread, understood by other parties, respected? What profession can you name in the mainstream without a doctorate entry level that is reimbursable by insurance without referral? Now how many can you name with a doctorate, in the mainstream, that are reimbursed by insurance directly?

I take umbrage at several aspects of this statement:

1. I'm just as concerned about the "now" of our profession as I am the future. We have PT schools charging massive amounts of tuition and requiring students to take more credit hours to obtain a degree that provides absolutely no professional benefit to them, resulting in massively high debt-to-income ratios for new graduates. The DPT hasn't fixed this problem - it's caused it.

I take offense to implying that this is isolated to physical therapy education in the US nowadays. The DPT didn't cause squat, it's far more global and quite frankly the PT profession or the "DPT" is nothing but a fart in the wind regarding inflation. All aspects of economy would probably charge as much as they can for their product, education is no different. The experts in PT education in the US say it is warranted to have/transition to a doctorate. There is no doubt in my mind that the expansive knowedgebase of PT and scope of practice warrants a doctorate. Is it going to be remotely close to perfect education in 20 years of existance? Unlikely. Give it time and support it.

2. We have an ever increasing number of US citizens suffering from chronic pain, and the majority of PT schools don't even address modern pain science in a way that is relevant to a new clinician. Many are still using the Gate Control theory as the be all and end all, and take a very Cartesian view of the pain experience in general. The DPT hasn't fixed this.

I doubt it, but if true perhaps you should write CAPTE/APTA and share their response on here because I'd like to know about that as well.

3. You imply that the only way that the "old guard" could be a part of the future is to obtain a DPT, or more accurately, a tDPT. The letters aren't the thing. Engagement in the profession is, and a commitment to science-based practice. You either are engaged and committed, or you're not. The DPT can't instill those characteristics in you. They're inherent, not bestowed along with a diploma and a hood.

I keep hearing this argument that education doesn't matter, the professional does. Still, a professional needs a background/foundation for the engagement. A DPT to me provides a better foundation. I think I have seen pronounced progression of the profession in just the 5 years I've been out of school. It is progressing rapidly. Does this have nothing to do with the transition to a doctorate? I think the pro-DPT has more pro-PT sentiment, hard working tendency and engagement in the profession than does the anti-DPT part of the profession.

4. Of course there will be only DPTs practicing 70 years from now. The PTs with a BS or MS, many of whom have helped fight for the aforementioned direct access without having the letters DPT after their name, will have retired by then. Hell, you'll have retired by then. You're just stating the obvious here.

So, keep hoping that I'll be a part of your professions future. But your posts on this thread make me think that you don't "get it." So, I hope that you'll lose some of the arrogance and get a more objective view about the PT profession. Because putting a bunch of clinical generalists into the field with new initials and more debt hasn't been the panacea we were told it would be. It may have caused more problems than we had before.

The field of PT is not just outpatient ortho. I think it should be left up to the experts to design the curriculum. Don't be surprised if residency becomes mandatory in the next 20 years. The amount of residencies and fellowships have expanded exponentially in just the past 15 years or so, again does this have nothing to do with the DPT?

I doubt it, but if true perhaps you should write CAPTE/APTA and share their response on here because I'd like to know about that as well.

Agree with Jess on this one. Pain in general, and chronic pain specifically, are both poorly taught in our PT programs and extremely misunderstood/flat-out wrong by most PTs. In this sense, our PT programs have failed us. While there may be some instructors in some programs out there that instruct their students in the most current evidence and science-based assessment and treatment of painful problems, most have not. If Moseley, Butler, Biolosky, George, Melzack and Wall, Shacklock, among others are not on your reading list, they should be. More importantly, adapting some of their treatments to your practice would do wonders for your patients.

Last edited:

Agree with Jess on this one. Pain in general, and chronic pain specifically, are both poorly taught in our PT programs and extremely misunderstood/flat-out wrong by most PTs. In this sense, our PT programs have failed us. While there may be some instructors in some programs out there that instruct their students in the most current evidence and science-based assessment and treatment of painful problems, most have not. If Moseley, Butler, Biolosky, George, Melzack and Wall, Shacklock, among others are not on your reading list, they should be. More importantly, adapting some of their treatments to your practice would do wonders for your patients.

Sheldon, I am a current DPT student and would love to see some of the articles you at referencing. And suggestions of a couple with which to start?

Sheldon, I am a current DPT student and would love to see some of the articles you at referencing. And suggestions of a couple with which to start?

I would also Adriaan Louw and Mick Thacker to the reading list.

Googlesholar: "The Effect of Neuroscience Education on Pain, Disability, Anxiety, and Stress in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain." Also, look up Moseley's 2004 article. It is similar to the above-mentioned one and easy to understand and incorporate. Buy "Explain Pain" by David Butler.

Also, go to BodyinMind and SomaSimple. Read, read, and read some more. As much as I wanted to get away from neuro and become a manual orthopaedic physical therapist, neuro, and importantly, the understanding of neuro, has helped me to better understand patients in pain, thanks in large part to some people who pointed me to those websites and those researchers I mentioned above.

Reactions: 1 users

Good articles:

Girbés EL, Nijs J, Torres-Cueco R, Cubas CL. Pain Treatment for Patients With Osteoarthritis and Central Sensitization. Phys Ther. June 2013;93(6):842-851

Nijs J, Paul van Wilgen C,Van Oosterwijck J, et al. How to explain central sensitization to patients with “unexplained” chronic musculoskeletal pain: practice guidelines. Man Ther. 2011;16:413–418.

Woolf CJ. Central sensitization: implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain. Pain. 2011;152(3 suppl):S2–S15.

Murphy SL, Phillips K, Williams DA, Clauw DJ. The role of the central nervous system in osteoarthritis pain and implications for rehabilitation. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2012;14:576–582.

Meeus M, Nijs J. Central sensitization: a biopsychosocial explanation for chronic widespread pain in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Rheumatol. 2007;26:465–473.

Baliki MN, Chialvo DR, Geha PY, et al. Chronic pain and the emotional brain: specific brain activity associated with spontaneous fluctuations of intensity of chronic back pain. J Neurosci. 2006;26:12165–12173.

A lot of other good sources in the first article.

Reactions: 2 users
@jesspt - I love your comments. Truly. And I meant no harm. I was simply passing along the textbook APTA answer I received. I don't believe that a DPT/tDPT is superior to an MS or BS when it comes to patient outcomes. Yes, there are a handful of extra classes. No big deal. Like you mentioned, one is either with EBP or without. Today is just as important as tomorrow. My intent was not to imply otherwise.

The big push for the DPT was to improve direct access. States were failing for many years in legislation, so our colleagues stepped in to help. While in the process some states made headway, but for some, it has come at a cost. The DPT as far as I know is more of a political tool, but I still stand by my comment to be aligned with my colleagues.

As far as my 'arrogance,' I was simply responding in kind to what I perceived in your tone.

I do appreciate your comments. And I'll add that my view of the field is quite objective with nothing less than patient-centered care. At the end of the day I was just trying to help Phoe understand why it might benefit him to obtain a tDPT.

Last edited:

Agree with Jess .......

I agree with you both on this topic, but it was never my position that a DPT was superior to a BSPT/MSPT.

In regards to helping foster a better understanding of pain, and how to treat those patients who come to us with with pain as their primary complaint, I'd strongly recommend a blog post by Jason Silvernail at Soma Simple.

There surely was direct access to PT's that were in effect prior to the DPT ( as there should've been and continue to be ), but how often was it utilized? Do you not think it is becoming more widespread, understood by other parties, respected?

I think the other variable here is time. And I don't think that the DPT had that much to do with the acceptance of direct access legislation, or we would see more DA laws like the one in Virginia, where a PT is required to have a DPT (or show evidence of continuing education in the area of differential diagnosis) in order to be credentialed for DA.

I take offense to implying that this is isolated to physical therapy education in the US nowadays. The DPT didn't cause squat, it's far more global and quite frankly the PT profession or the "DPT" is nothing but a fart in the wind regarding inflation. All aspects of economy would probably charge as much as they can for their product, education is no different. The experts in PT education in the US say it is warranted to have/transition to a doctorate. There is no doubt in my mind that the expansive knowedgebase of PT and scope of practice warrants a doctorate. Is it going to be remotely close to perfect education in 20 years of existance? Unlikely. Give it time and support it.

The previous posts were about the PT profession, so my response was about the PT degree. Although tuition inflation is a problem throughout the US, the DPT (and the increased debt it burdens new graduates with) is a problem that is relevant to our profession. And, I don't see how the DPT has helped that problem, only how it has contributed to it.

I keep hearing this argument that education doesn't matter, the professional does. Still, a professional needs a background/foundation for the engagement. A DPT to me provides a better foundation. I think I have seen pronounced progression of the profession in just the 5 years I've been out of school. It is progressing rapidly. Does this have nothing to do with the transition to a doctorate? I think the pro-DPT has more pro-PT sentiment, hard working tendency and engagement in the profession than does the anti-DPT part of the profession.

I never said that education doesn't matter. I said that in isolation, education cannot make you a good clinician, or a valuable contributor to the profession. And I'm not anti-DPT, but I do not think it has been implemented well for the most part.

The field of PT is not just outpatient ortho. I think it should be left up to the experts to design the curriculum. Don't be surprised if residency becomes mandatory in the next 20 years. The amount of residencies and fellowships have expanded exponentially in just the past 15 years or so, again does this have nothing to do with the DPT?

How can we know if it has anything to do with the DPT? There are too many variables involved. It does look as though of the 140 residency programs accredited by the ABPTRFE, 95 of them list a PT with a doctoral level degree (DPT, DHS, ED, DSc, PhD) as their point-of-contact.

Good articles:

Girbés EL, Nijs J, Torres-Cueco R, Cubas CL. Pain Treatment for Patients With Osteoarthritis and Central Sensitization. Phys Ther. June 2013;93(6):842-851

Nijs J, Paul van Wilgen C,Van Oosterwijck J, et al. How to explain central sensitization to patients with “unexplained” chronic musculoskeletal pain: practice guidelines. Man Ther. 2011;16:413–418.

Woolf CJ. Central sensitization: implications for the diagnosis and treatment of pain. Pain. 2011;152(3 suppl):S2–S15.

Murphy SL, Phillips K, Williams DA, Clauw DJ. The role of the central nervous system in osteoarthritis pain and implications for rehabilitation. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2012;14:576–582.

Meeus M, Nijs J. Central sensitization: a biopsychosocial explanation for chronic widespread pain in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Rheumatol. 2007;26:465–473.

Baliki MN, Chialvo DR, Geha PY, et al. Chronic pain and the emotional brain: specific brain activity associated with spontaneous fluctuations of intensity of chronic back pain. J Neurosci. 2006;26:12165–12173.

A lot of other good sources in the first article.
This is gold!
Thank you.
I love Lorimer Moseley's and Butler's work and didn't know there was so much more out there.

I agree entirely! Having taken many Butler/Moseley continuing Ed courses I agree that their perspective should be taught much more thoroughly in PT school. The first one I took was several years into my (outpatient ortho) career and there were light bulbs going off in my head constantly. First cont Ed class in a long time that NEVER bored me because I was so interested!

I'll weigh in also on the original post as a PT who graduated with my MS in 2003 and went back in 2006 and did my tDPT. Funny story, I went in to my boss at the time and asked if our company offered any incentives/tuition reimbursement to complete tDPT. They did not, which was fine, I didn't expect them to. When I told him what my plans were he said "Why would you do that? You know you won't get a raise because of it right?" That's the thing. I never cared about that. For me it was a personal thing. I wanted to hold the highest available level of education in my profession for myself! Also For autonomy, and because I loved my school/program and faculty and loved the opportunity to work with them again!

I graduated 20 years ago with my Bachelor's degree and have owned a clinic x 16 years. I always felt the same way (as you Legend) but decided to look into getting my tDPT this time last year. I enrolled in EIM's program and am thrilled that I did. The coursework is excellent and despite keeping up on the latest evidence the curriculum and hands-on skills have made me a better clinician. I've always been an advocate for the DPT and have come back around to supporting the idea that everyone should be encouraged (not mandated) to go back to get the degree.