Why pharmacy has a bad rep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CommyO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a misogynist but so many women wanting to pursue pharmacy really turns me off. Not to mention the job outlook for pharmacy is terrible now that pharmacy schools are accepting anyone with half a brain and a fat a$$ payment.

Why do women tend to gravitate towards pharmacy? In my opinion, this heavily degrades the field because women are in general less competitive by nature than men due to maternity leave, kids, families. Not that pharmacists even care though; from what I've seen, pharmacists are very casual and so are pre-pharms. There's no cut-throat competition and the chase isn't as exhilarating as other professions such as med or even pod.

Members don't see this ad.

Those dang women! They took our JOBS!

Let me guess...you read a lot of Breitbart "news".

Reactions: 2 users
Wtf did I just read....

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those dang women! They took our JOBS!

Let me guess...you read a lot of Breitbart "news".
Not sure what that is. They did take the competitive nature of pharmacy away though that's for sure. A decade or two ago, pharmacy was for the elite and cut-throat. These days, it's dominated by women who work part-time with families. There's nothing wrong with taking care of kids but you have to agree, that a field that attracts that demographic makes those who are competitive and cut-throat students pursue other careers that absolutely require that dedication and hard-work.

Not sure what that is. They did take the competitive nature of pharmacy away though that's for sure. A decade or two ago, pharmacy was for the elite and cut-throat. These days, it's dominated by women who work part-time with families. There's nothing wrong with taking care of kids but you have to agree, that a field that attracts that demographic makes those who are competitive and cut-throat students pursue other careers that absolutely require that dedication and hard-work.

Don't blame it on women. Men in general are gravitating towards not going to ANY school at all. All fields are being filled with women and female leaders now. Look it up, medical schools, pharmacy schools, PT, DO, even majority of UNDERGRAD schools have the ratio of female to male favoring the female more because the females are going to schools while a lot of males are gradually not even attending undergrad. Don't blame the opposite gender for the crap field pharmacy is turning into. It is because of the expansion of schools and the greedy MEN that run them...use your common sense.

Reactions: 4 users
Enjoy getting your a** handed to you in schoolwork and on the job by those women. Because it will happen.

Reactions: 4 users
There is no competition because of the low standards the schools have to begin with. Get your head out your ass and look at what's really destroying pharmacy lol. Matter a fact, the competition to get a damn job has been higher than ever now...

Maybe you should go to nursing school.

:beat:

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Enjoy getting your a** handed to you in schoolwork and on the job by those women. Because it will happen.
If that happens, it'll be a good learning experience but it definitely won't be by some casual part timer

There is no competition because of the low standards the schools have to begin with. Get your head out your ass and look at what's really destroying pharmacy lol. Matter a fact, the competition to get a damn job has been higher than ever now...
Also true.. the diploma mills aren't helping and neither are all the slackers of all gender who want to pursue pharmacy without putting in the work

Don't blame it on women. Men in general are gravitating towards not going to ANY school at all. All fields are being filled with women and female leaders now. Look it up, medical schools, pharmacy schools, PT, DO, even majority of UNDERGRAD schools have the ratio of female to male favoring the female more because the females are going to schools while a lot of males are gradually not even attending undergrad. Don't blame the opposite gender for the crap field pharmacy is turning into. It is because of the expansion of schools and the greedy MEN that run them...use your common sense.
That's true. Women are overtaking schools which is great as long as the people who thrive are the ones working their arse off, I don't really care about sex

I'm not a misogynist but so many women wanting to pursue pharmacy really turns me off. Not to mention the job outlook for pharmacy is terrible now that pharmacy schools are accepting anyone with half a brain and a fat a$$ payment.

Why do women tend to gravitate towards pharmacy? In my opinion, this heavily degrades the field because women are in general less competitive by nature than men due to maternity leave, kids, families. Not that pharmacists even care though; from what I've seen, pharmacists are very casual and so are pre-pharms. There's no cut-throat competition and the chase isn't as exhilarating as other professions such as med or even pod.

You're right.
I like a woman who has her priorities straight and is gunning for that valuable pharmD spot at the expense of those bolded menial things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure but I had imagined that pharmacy was always been female dominated.
As more recent times, the ratio gravitated towards 40/60 male to female.
So I had thought that more males have jump into pharmacy ship.

I don't know if you say men gravitate away from school but I feel like of more recent years they went with more tech-focused based like computer engineer/science, coding, etc.
Less school-"ing" (4 years less typically), ALOT less tuition, huge earning potential, and opportunity at a earlier stage in life.
oh well.

Please, stop talking. To everyone. Forever.

It's for your own good.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not a misogynist BUT

This is where the problem starts.

Not to mention the job outlook for pharmacy is terrible now that pharmacy schools are accepting anyone with half a brain and a fat a$$ payment.

I looked through your posts and it looks like you're a pre-pharm student. Wouldn't you be part of the crowd with "half a brain and a fat a$$ payment?"

Why do women tend to gravitate towards pharmacy?

It's none of your business why they choose pharmacy.

In my opinion, this heavily degrades the field because women are in general less competitive by nature than men due to maternity leave, kids, families.

How is this different from misogynistic comments about women in other fields? So is the bottom line "keep them at home dammit"?

Not that pharmacists even care though; from what I've seen, pharmacists are very casual and so are pre-pharms.

If you didn't live under a rock, you would realize that pharmacists are probably the most anal healthcare professionals.

There's no cut-throat competition

Have fun with your job search if you manage to make it into pharmacy school and graduate. I'm sure there's no cut-throat competition with job market as it is right now.

the chase isn't as exhilarating as other professions such as med or even pod.

Then why are you even pursuing pharmacy? And this contradicts your post in the pre-pharm forums where you said "I've been interested in pharm since the beginning of HS and it's really my dream job but I'm sure everyone is basically the same here. I'm not doing it for the money and would be happy even making 70k."

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.