Why learn anatomy above the hip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breezy1245

Bone Wizard
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's some spine stuff connected to the foot but do you really care about all the little muscles of the arm and hand? Why even learn that?

Members don't see this ad.

Because you do rotations outside of podiatry and because you just do. it's like why does every medical student take a psych class and rotation? Just because you have to even though you have 0% interest in the topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore him. Troll account made yesterday. look through post history.
If you kept up with the times you'd know that I HAD to create another account from my old one. I'm not trolling anyone it's just a question.

Because you do rotations outside of podiatry and because you just do. it's like why does every medical student take a psych class and rotation? Just because you have to even though you have 0% interest in the topic.

But a pod can't do upper extremity surgery though?

A Family Doctor can't do surgery at all and still take anatomy...

I know there's some spine stuff connected to the foot but do you really care about all the little muscles of the arm and hand? Why even learn that?

Diseases do not discriminate between one body part vs. another. Diabetes affects nerves, and if you know there are nerves in your feet then you should also know there are nerves in the arm, hand, and the penis and elsewhere!

That said, Podiatry school, like medical school, is taught emphasizing the body as a whole (at least for the first year in classes like anat, cell mol, pathology, etc). This is true for Dental schools also, where students learn general and a more focused (facial) anatomy.

You could pick the same bone with Opto or Dental. Why not go bother them?

Because this was a question I've been sitting on for a while. Why not go use the ignore button? :thinking::shrug:

Diseases do not discriminate between one body part vs. another. Diabetes affects nerves, and if you know there are nerves in your feet then you should also know there are nerves in the arm, hand, and the penis!

That said, Podiatry school, like medical school, is taught emphasizing the body as a whole (at least for the first year in classes like anat, cell mol, pathology, etc). This is true for Dental schools also, where students learn general and a more focused (facial) anatomy.

Thank you. Finally a legitimate explanation without the sass.

That makes sense about the whole diabetes thing. I guess I just feel if you focus on the lower extremity for two years that you'd be even stronger in that area. The whole body thing always confuses me because I go to a DO school. When we say whole body we mean body mind and spirit.

Maybe if @breezy1245 actually took the time to research our training and realize the lower extremity is connected to a person they would realize why we need to have a base understanding of all parts of the body. When I was on trauma, who got the page the patient was going down the tube? Me. When I was on vascular and the patient went pulseless POD 1 open bypass? Me. So don't come in here telling me why I should or should not learn something.

*mike drop*

And happy April fools day

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DO school then? ****, I don't hear students complaining about the curriculum.
Well that's because they also have the ability to focus on any body part but choose to do it better than MDs and be holistic.

Maybe if @breezy1245 actually took the time to research our training and realize the lower extremity is connected to a person they would realize why we need to have a base understanding of all parts of the body. When I was on trauma, who got the page the patient was going down the tube? Me. When I was on vascular and the patient went pulseless POD 1 open bypass? Me. So don't come in here telling me why I should or should not learn something.

*mike drop*
You know for a moderator you're quite rude. Reported.

You seem like the kind of guy who couldn't get into MD school and tries to stroke his ego by subtly talking crap. You know? The doctor in the hospital who hits on the High Schoolers shadowing? That guy.

Reactions: 1 users
seem like the kind of guy who couldn't get into MD school and tries to stroke his ego by subtly talking crap.

I'm already in medical school (a top 5 DO school) and am also in the top 5% of my class. I don't need my ego stroked...the results of my hard work do that just fine. You're the one getting your jimmies rustled to hell :rolleyes:

Lol at first post to the last. This thread is entertaining. Hopefully it doesn't get shredded..... I'm certainly enjoying it :D

Last edited:
I'm already in medical school (a top 5 DO school) and am also in the top 5% of my class. I don't need my ego stroked...the results of my hard work do that just fine. You're the one getting your jimmies rustled to hell :rolleyes:

And yet you are here in the Pod forum asking a question that a 5-year-old can answer. Go study something!

This thread should be locked & away!

Yes, @pacpod calling me out like that is so entertaining to everyone here when I came to ask a genuine question that only 1 person really answers. Ridiculous....

You all are trolling the hell out of me. :sendoff:

And yet you are here in the Pod forum asking a question that a 5-year-old can answer. Go study something!

I have a 12 year old sister who wouldn't be able to answer that question. Are you calling her dumb?

Wow? 5%? Dang boy, that's impressive!!! Surely let me bow down to the guy who is gonna be the next head of surgery at Grey Sloan Memorial.

Listen, get that ego checked because I feel bad for any RN who will work with you.

Top 5% and Bottom 5% are both still DOs. Grades mean nothing, residency means everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wow? 5%? Dang boy, that's impressive!!! Surely let me bow down to the guy who is gonna be the next head of surgery at Grey Sloan Memorial.

Listen, get that ego checked because I feel bad for any RN who will work with you.

Top 5% and Bottom 5% are both still DOs. Grades mean nothing, residency means everything.
Assumptions everywhere with this post. Whatever, done with you troll. :troll:

Anyone else want to chime in on why pod-students learn about the upper body?

The troll is the kid who has an MD ego but not the MD grades. Stop asking backhanded questions, you'll probably have more friends and make more money in the future.

Stop asking backhanded questions, you'll probably have more friends and make more money in the future.

Last post: as president of my COM class, I have enough friends. And don't worry, asking questions you find not worth answering won't effect my pay grade. If that were true, I'm sure a lot of people who interact with you and ask you questions would be broke :rofl:

Last post: as president of my COM class, I have enough friends. And don't worry, asking questions you find not worth answering won't effect my pay grade. If that were true, I'm sure a lot of people who interact with you and ask you questions would be broke :rofl:

You must be missing something in life.

Outside of residency we cannot perform surgery on the upper extremity.
During residency, we will rotate with ortho, plastics, vascular etc which will require us to scrub and assist surgical cases of the upper extremity. We have to know our anatomy for this. I Temple offers an outside rotation with Temple Ortho.

Outside of residency we cannot perform surgery on the upper extremity.
During residency, we will rotate with ortho, plastics, vascular etc which will require us to scrub and assist surgical cases of the upper extremity. We have to know our anatomy for this. I Temple offers an outside rotation with Temple Ortho.

Thank you!

Reminder to keep the conversation civil and professional. I know it's difficult right now but please just use the Report feature at the bottom of the posts and/or use the ignore feature. Thanks.

Now you're just throwing insults. Reported as well.

I just find it disrespectful when you know the answer to your question. So, a top 5 school DO who is top of his class doesn't know anatomy? Nerves? Diabetic illnesses? When you are a physician the scope of body knowledge should not be limited to your expertise. It would be unethical to prescribe medication if you don't know how it reacts with other systems. You cannot just neglect 75% of the body when you are applying YOUR treatment. For example; An Oral Surgeon(DDS) found a heart murmur in my sister's heart, while my family doc did not. I respect all medical practitioners from CNAs to Physicians. We all want to help people and should not have to listen to kids talk trash.

I mean we have to do other surgery rotations besides podiatry like gen surg, plastics, vascular, etc and you kind have to know anatomy in the rest of the body to assist.

Well that's because they also have the ability to focus on any body part but choose to do it better than MDs and be holistic.

Not a troll they say.
Account made yesterday.
****s on MDs.
Constantly reporting.

Try harder next time.

Not a troll they say.
Account made yesterday.
****s on MDs.
Constantly reporting.

Try harder next time.

Its that dam Amnesty thing that was just passed on SDN. Trolls everywhere on SDN. You should see some of the comments in the pre-dent forum...lol.

The only cure is to ignore such threads and just let it die, so should have listened to you earlier :smack:

Anyways, no more replying from me in this thread!

Its that dam Amnesty thing that was just passed on SDN. Trolls everywhere on SDN. You should see some of the comments in the pre-dent forum...lol.

The only cure is to ignore such threads and just let it die, so should have listened to you earlier :smack:

Anyways, no more replying from me in this thread!

Time to head to pre-dent thread for more fun.

Not a troll they say.
Account made yesterday.
****s on MDs.
Constantly reporting.

Try harder next time.
Jeebus...I'm not a troll. I had to create a new account because my old account was shut down. If you actually took time figure out what happened today then you would sound like such a fool.

And I'm reporting because I'm getting attacked every time I bring something up that you sensitive millennials find offensive (like DO's being better than MDs).

In order to treat all pathologies of the foot and ankle a podiatrist has to be aware of how the body works. I think the original question is a good one. Not many DO's or MD's know what we do or why we go to school so long if we are just treating the foot. I had my finger in a gentlemen's derriere the other day and I thought, "why am I doing this?" All pod students will be doing something in their training and wonder if it will benefit them in their practice.

As podiatrists we want to be respected by the medical community as physicians that treat the foot and ankle. To do this we need the proper training and we will be expected to do more and learn more as the profession progresses. That's why we learn way more than just foot and ankle anatomy.

Reactions: 6 users
Because when your patient asks you how blood gets to the foot you can't say "that one muscle in the chest that makes a glub glub sound"

Reactions: 1 users