Why is the DAT so bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted735879

I know it isn't entirely fair to compare the DAT to the MCAT, but I'm going to do it anyway.

If you look up "MCAT percentiles" You can get probably 30 hits that have amazing statistics and tables showing you exactly what percentage of test takers get what score. Also, it seems like greater care is given to making sure scores on the MCAT are consistent.

Meanwhile, do the same thing with the DAT you can get that one survey from ADEA that's 8 years old and a lot of pictures that look like this:
DAT_Score_%20graph.jpg

Why does it seem that ADEA doesn't care about sharing recent percentiles and statistics?
I feel that just about everything out there is quite outdated and I find it very hard to believe that pictures like these are accurate.

Also, does anyone know why we get are DAT scores back immediately instead of having to wait for 3-4 weeks like pre-meds?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My assumption is that averages don't change that much, our scoring system has been the same where as the MCAT has changed.
Also... you should look at how many people take the MCAT vs LSAT vs DAT.
Quick search shows 86,000 people took the MCAT in 2012, 80,000+ took the LSAT in 2012-2013, and ~13,000 people take the DAT per year.... Research studies take time and money, it just might not be worth it to report something that hasn't really changed in the last decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Applicants, Enrollees and Graduates : American Dental Education Association

Check out the predoctoral students tab.

Other than that, I think there are way more medical applicants/students vs. dental applicants/students, hence the market will cater more so towards them.

Quick search shows 86,000 people took the MCAT in 2012, 80,000+ took the LSAT in 2012-2013, and ~13,000 people take the DAT per year....

Exactly this point. Reminds me of the time I tried going into B&N, but never found a DAT book anywhere, yet on the other hand, MCAT books were everywhere. Same with LSAT study guides, they were everywhere too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know why we get are DAT scores back immediately instead of having to wait for 3-4 weeks like pre-meds?

Thanks!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

The 8 year old survey is actually pretty detailed and provides a lot of what you're looking for, it's just pretty out of date at this point. Some at the ADA told me they only tend to release the surveys around the time there are major changes to the test, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

The MCAT had a writing portion that had to be graded manually - no idea why it still takes them weeks now.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, do the same thing with the DAT you can get that one survey from ADEA that's 8 years old and a lot of pictures that look like this:
Why does it seem that ADEA doesn't care about sharing recent percentiles and statistics?
I feel that just about everything out there is quite outdated and I find it very hard to believe that pictures like these are accurate.
The DAT is administered by the ADA and not the ADEA.

My assumption is that averages don't change that much, our scoring system has been the same where as the MCAT has changed.
Quick search shows 86,000 people took the MCAT in 2012, 80,000+ took the LSAT in 2012-2013, and ~13,000 people take the DAT per year.... Research studies take time and money, it just might not be worth it to report something that hasn't really changed in the last decade.
In 2015 there were 64,504 that took the new MCAT. The cost of data output is unlikely to be the reason the ADA discontinued the practice of providing DAT distribution tables in June and December of each year. It is possible that the ADA simply got tired of all the questions/complaints about why an applicant was in the 96th percentile with a 21 while the cousin was in the same percentile ranking with a 19. Quien save. Keep in mind that of the roughly 12K that took the DAT, about 2/3 have taken it for the first time; the remaining are repeaters.
https://www.aamc.org/download/454206/data/mcatatglance2015.pdf
DAT Fequency Tables Now a SECRET!

Reactions: 1 user
The DAT is administered by the ADA and not the ADEA.

In 2015 there were 64,504 that took the new MCAT. The cost of data output is unlikely to be the reason the ADA discontinued the practice of providing DAT distribution tables in June and December of each year. It is possible that the ADA simply got tired of all the questions/complaints about why an applicant was in the 96th percentile with a 21 while the cousin was in the same percentile ranking with a 19. Quien save. Keep in mind that of the roughly 12K that took the DAT, about 2/3 have taken it for the first time; the remaining are repeaters.
https://www.aamc.org/download/454206/data/mcatatglance2015.pdf
DAT Fequency Tables Now a SECRET!
*quien sabe. I like the spanish though doc!

Dentistry is not a very politically transparent or widely-discussed field, compared to medicine and pharmacy. Back in late 2015, I took the DAT where there I swear to God/Allah/Vishnu there was a PAT question with no correct answer choice. There's not even a universal ranking for dental schools. It's kind of the Wild West of the doctoral healthcare professions, so although it may not answer your question, it does address the issue of why ADEA/ADA isn't competent when it comes to a simple matter of reporting mundane stats like DAT score distributions

Reactions: 1 users