Why is the Caribbean so bad....????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do an SDN search. The topic has been discussed ad nausem

Dude, the guy benefited from the post. Show some respect; don't comment on a comment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do an SDN search. The topic has been discussed ad nausem

Yes, and I like hearing different perspectives? Didn't know that was a crime, nor did I know I had to run it by you.

nauseam* by the way

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do so many people here comment on the Caribbean who have never even been to the Caribbean or through that process? Let the people who have been there guide those who are going down that route. For the near future, there will still be Caribbean programs churning out real doctors so if one of these students is going to be in that group, who are you to stop them?

I've never jumped out of a 3 story window before, but looking at physics and math, I would urge people to not jump out of that window. Do people jump out of the window and live? Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it to people.

Why do so many people here comment on the Caribbean who have never even been to the Caribbean or through that process? Let the people who have been there guide those who are going down that route. For the near future, there will still be Caribbean programs churning out real doctors so if one of these students is going to be in that group, who are you to stop them?

Reactions: 5 users

Well, this thread was made in the DO forums and so the majority of people on here commenting will be DOs. However, how is this any different than a person who went to the Caribbean who advocates going to a US MD or DO school? They have not went to a US MD or DO school, so how do they know its better. Their knowledge is second hand about US DO and MD schools, just like how knowledge about Caribbean is secondhand to us US medical students. It is extremely rare to have a person who has been to both sides of the process (both Caribbean and US medical schools). As a result, we don't get people like that commenting on the forums.

We should welcome all opinions, because this adds greater perspective to the big picture of all three US MD, DO, and IMG/FMG. I have no problem with you countering any of my points if they seem way off. This gives people a more precise picture of what all choices entail.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, this thread was made in the DO forums and so the majority of people on here commenting will be DOs. However, how is this any different than a person who went to the Caribbean who advocates going to a US MD or DO school? They have not went to a US MD or DO school, so how do they know its better. Their knowledge is second hand about US DO and MD schools, just like how knowledge about Caribbean is secondhand to us US medical students. It is extremely rare to have a person who has been to both sides of the process (both Caribbean and US medical schools). As a result, we don't get people like that commenting on the forums.

We should welcome all opinions, because this adds greater perspective to the big picture of all three US MD, DO, and IMG/FMG. I have no problem with you countering any of my points if they seem way off. This gives people a more precise picture of what all choices entail.

The problem with their comments is that they are all biased so it's always negative advice. You can tell them that the SGU route works for some people but either they don't believe it or don't want to believe it. The Carib students on the other hand will always say going to a US program is the best option.

Did the carribean work out for you?

The problem with their comments is that they are all biased so it's always negative advice. You can tell them that the SGU route works for some people but either they don't believe it or don't want to believe it. The Carib students on the other hand will always say going to a US program is the best option.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did the carribean work out for you?

Hahaha don't be a sucker man. You gotta be better than that if you want to be a doc. That's called arrogance and you actually prove my point exactly. I mean you haven't graduated med school yet right? So technically I should be busting your balls.

Yeah, I withdrew from the Caribbean. It was a smart move because my school was a dead end and I was able to figure it out. Most of those schools operate the same way so since I've been there I am more than qualified to discuss how stuff works down there unlike you, the adcoms, the mentally ill, and others who post on this forum who have never set foot in a classroom on the island.

Maybe look at it that way next time?

49690304.jpg

So you went to the carribean and it was a good call to leave? Then yeah, people shouldn't go to the carribean. If it quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, acts like a duck, it's prolly a bad deal.

Hahaha don't be a sucker man. You gotta be better than that if you want to be a doc. That's called arrogance and you actually prove my point exactly. I mean you haven't graduated med school yet right? So technically I should be busting your balls.

Yeah, I withdrew from the Caribbean. It was a smart move because my school was a dead end and I was able to figure it out. Most of those schools operate the same way so since I've been there I am more than qualified to discuss how stuff works down there unlike you, the adcoms, the mentally ill, and others who post on this forum who have never set foot in a classroom on the island.

Reactions: 1 user
So you went to the carribean and it was a good call to leave? Then yeah, people shouldn't go to the carribean. If it quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, acts like a duck, it's prolly a bad deal.

Thank you for proving me right my friend ;)

Nah bro #podlife.

I was faced with a similar situation, except my MCAT was bad three times. Took a large dose of humble pie and applied to podiatry school and got into one of "the best" for whatever it's worth. In seven short years I'll be a practicing pod. Yippee.

Which is why I urge people who can't get into Med to go down the dental or optometry path instead of carribean. It gives you a much more reasonable chance of becoming a doctor.

Are you even a med student?

Nah bro #podlife.

I was faced with a similar situation, except my MCAT was bad three times. Took a large dose of humble pie and applied to podiatry school and got into one of "the best" for whatever it's worth. In seven short years I'll be a practicing pod. Yippee.

Which is why I urge people who can't get into Med to go down the dental or optometry path instead of carribean. It gives you a much more reasonable chance of becoming a doctor.

So is it fair to throw shade my way when I've taken three terms of medical school courses? It's kinda like saying "Hey this guy didn't pass STEP 1, he doesn't know what he's talking about."

No, I'm not saying that. I think you do know what your talking about.

So is it fair to throw shade my way when I've taken three terms of medical school courses? It's kinda like saying "Hey this guy didn't pass STEP 1, he doesn't know what he's talking about."

If you don't mind me asking, did you go to the "Top 4"?

Welcome to SDN!

There is a lot of flavors of koolaid to be drunk and sometimes you have to deal with it. You have to keep pushing your point and their are definitely Caribbean students who do just that, even when all of SDN jump on them.

I have argued for years that just because you had a bad SMP experience doesn't mean you are out of the game. Yet it falls on deaf ears and the mantra of "one and done" still continues till this day. I know multiple people who did poorly in an SMP only to increase their MCAT, do more course work, and/or another SMP just to get into medical school. Doing an SMP isn't a dead end like people make it out to be (but you still need to take time to improve yourself, if you apply immediately you will definitely be rejected). However, I still continue to push my point.

If you asked me would a SGU student could stand a chance of matching in the Caribbean, I would still say sure. You just have less of a cushion than US MD or DO students when it comes to matching. However, Caribbean schools don't make it any easier for students to get the opportunities they need to be success in medical school and matching. If it were between the Caribbean and Podiatry, I would now make them choose podiatry (if this were 4 years ago I would have told them neither). If they are already are in a school like SGU and Ross, I think it would be okay to tough it out and I believe they can still match into mostly PCP fields and at best a slightly competitive field (ex. neuro, rad, EM etc.).

Podiatrists are on track to becoming full physicians. The pods of ten years ago are not the pods of now. Where DOs were in the 60s is where podiatry is right this second. By the time we graduate, it will be like the 80s in terms of DO and pod comparisons.

Get in while the getting is good. Foot and ankle ain't so bad after trying to loosen someone's compacted bowls.

Welcome to SDN!

There is a lot of flavors of koolaid to be drunk and sometimes you have to deal with it. You have to keep pushing your point and their are definitely Caribbean students who do just that, even when all of SDN jump on them.

I have argued for years that just because you had a bad SMP experience doesn't mean you are out of the game. Yet it falls on deaf ears and the mantra of "one and done" still continues till this day. I know multiple people who did poorly in an SMP only to increase their MCAT, do more course work, and/or another SMP just to get into medical school. Doing an SMP isn't a dead end like people make it out to be (but you still need to take time to improve yourself, if you apply immediately you will definitely be rejected). However, I still continue to push my point.

If you asked me would a SGU student could stand a chance of matching in the Caribbean, I would still say sure. You just have less of a cushion than US MD or DO students when it comes to matching. However, Caribbean schools don't make it any easier for students to get the opportunities they need to be success in medical school and matching. If it were between the Caribbean and Podiatry, I would now make them choose podiatry (if this were 4 years ago I would have told them neither). If they are already are in a school like SGU and Ross, I think it would be okay to tough it out and I believe they can still match into mostly PCP fields and at best a slightly competitive field (ex. neuro, rad, EM etc.).

Podiatrists are on track to becoming full physicians. The pods of ten years ago are not the pods of now. Where DOs were in the 60s is where podiatry is right this second. By the time we graduate, it will be like the 80s in terms of DO and pod comparisons.

Get in while the getting is good. Foot and ankle ain't so bad after trying to loosen someone's compacted bowls.
What do you mean?

Premeds don't do pod for the 'prestige' (whatever that means) factor. They are full-fledged docs as far as I am concerned...

Its because several years back both matching and retention were not the great, hence why I said what I said. Now its definitely better.

If you don't mind me asking, did you go to the "Top 4"?

No, went to another school with Title IV.

I have friends at all these schools so I know what's going on.

In the eyes of the law, they are starting to. There is a bill going through congress right now that will recognize them as physicians and thusly, be paid as such.

Not really no. They will however continue to be recognized as great providers of foot and ankle care.

In the eyes of the law, they are starting to. There is a bill going through congress right now that will recognize them as physicians and thusly, be paid as such.

It's not going to pass.... they won't pass a bill that increases healthcare spending by increasing pay to a provider.

It's not going to pass.... they won't pass a bill that increases healthcare spending by increasing pay to a provider.

To add to this only around 2% of bills pass in congress in general. You could pretty much be skeptical of every bill passing and you would be right most of the time.

I can see it (pods being recognized as fully licensed physicians) happening in my lifetime. The bill passed the house last year, but ran out of steam in the senate.

There are currently three pod schools that take their first year classes alongside the DO classes. They literally learn the exact same material and are tested on that same material the first two years. Then they take the same rotations, save OBGYN and Psych (I think). The only difference is there is noting like a shelf exam third and forth year, and Pod boards are pass fail. Other pod schools have curriculum (Temple) heavily mirroring MD curriculum.

In many states, pods are allowed to admit patients into the hospital.

Many didn't consider DO an equivalent degree to MD. They turned out to be wrong.

Im not attempting to justify my choice, but I will educate my fellow doctors and peers when need be. Many don't understand Pod training and just think its a masters degree or a midlevel provider, and that couldn't be further from the case.

This isn't going to happen, and i wouldn't go into Podiatry hoping i'd somehow become a physician with higher compensation later in my career. Be realistic and content with the path majority of the Podiatrists take - BLS quoted salary in a private practice. There's nothing wrong with that. You're going to be in school for a loooooong time and last thing i would want is to invest myself mentally in a proposition that's historically been a fantasy. That's recipe for an unhappy career.

Im not attempting to justify my choice, but I will educate my fellow doctors and peers when need be. Many don't understand Pod training and just think its a masters degree or a midlevel provider, and that couldn't be further from the case.

No I understand what a podiatrist is. They will only gain full physician status if the field merges and becomes a medical specialty. Sorry but it just won't happen.

I have multiple friends in pod school, a few at DMU, one at Temple, and another at Kent. None of them would agree with you that their student peers would survive in the actual medical school curriculum.

The ones at DMU take the same coursework as the DOs and the same tests tho the first two years. They literally sit next to them at the same time. The only exception is no OMM. One would assume if they can pass those first two years, then they can pass the entire curriculum, no?

No I understand what a podiatrist is. They will only gain full physician status if the field merges and becomes a medical specialty. Sorry but it just won't happen.

I have multiple friends in pod school, a few at DMU, one at Temple, and another at Kent. None of them would agree with you that their student peers would survive in the actual medical school curriculum.

The ones at DMU take the same coursework as the DOs and the same tests tho the first two years. They literally sit next to them at the same time. The only exception is no OMM. One would assume if they can pass those first two years, then they can pass the entire curriculum, no?

The attrition of pod schools in the past were around 15-20% before matching. Some maybe able to handle the rigors of medical school, but not a good chunk of the class (this is including the COMLEX/USMLE).

EDIT MADE

I can see it (pods being recognized as fully licensed physicians) happening in my lifetime. The bill passed the house last year, but ran out of steam in the senate.

There are currently three pod schools that take their first year classes alongside the DO classes. They literally learn the exact same material and are tested on that same material the first two years. Then they take the same rotations, save OBGYN and Psych (I think). The only difference is there is noting like a shelf exam third and forth year, and Pod boards are pass fail. Other pod schools have curriculum (Temple) heavily mirroring MD curriculum.

In many states, pods are allowed to admit patients into the hospital.

Many didn't consider DO an equivalent degree to MD. They turned out to be wrong.

I can see podiatry not existing and becoming a subspecialty of medicine like hand surgery.

I can also see this, although I think this is much further down the road. What will happen first is that they will get "physician" status in the eyes of the law much like DO schools and the "good old boys" will want to keep their distinction, much like the DOs did. Then eventually, the AAMC will strong arm pod schools into administering the USMLE, which admittedly would hurt some pod students, but it would normalize training. During this time, residency will eventually become part of the MD residencies and will prolly increase length of training (pod residency is only 3 years for some reason, the only surgical specialty with that little time to it)

I can see podiatry not existing and becoming a subspecialty of medicine like hand surgery.

I can also see this, although I think this is much further down the road. What will happen first is that they will get "physician" status in the eyes of the law much like DO schools and the "good old boys" will want to keep their distinction, much like the DOs did. Then eventually, the AAMC will strong arm pod schools into administering the USMLE, which admittedly would hurt some pod students, but it would normalize training. During this time, residency will eventually become part of the MD residencies and will prolly increase length of training (pod residency is only 3 years for some reason, the only surgical specialty with that little time to it)

What does "physician status in the eyes of the law" mean?

If it's about being reimbursed better, don't count on it. The scope is different, no reason to think the reimbursement should be the same.

Apart from that, if it's about having an unrestricted license to practice medicine, Pods would have to complete medical school for that.

Reimbursement. Especially in agencies in the government.

What does "physician status in the eyes of the law" mean?

If it's about being reimbursed better, don't count on it. The scope is different, no reason to think the reimbursement should be the same.

Apart from that, if it's about having an unrestricted license to practice medicine, Pods would have to complete medical school for that.

Reimbursement. Especially in agencies in the government.

Can you elaborate on why you see this happening?

I don't see how that makes any sense; if people want to pay ortho type reimbursement rates I imagine they'd hire an orthopedic or general surgeon and get a broader skill set. There's nothing a Podiatrist can offer that can't be handled by people who already are paid that much. The appeal of podiatry is that they cost less.

Look, I have nothing against podiatrists, I strongly considered it before applying to med school. But they're not medical doctors.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it make more sense that an Orthopedist do a year or two of fellowship on the foot instead of making a podiatrist an MD?

Can you elaborate on why you see this happening?

I don't see how that makes any sense; if people want to pay ortho type reimbursement rates I imagine they'd hire an orthopedic or general surgeon and get a broader skill set. There's nothing a Podiatrist can offer that can't be handled by people who already are paid that much. The appeal of podiatry is that they cost less.

Look, I have nothing against podiatrists, I strongly considered it before applying to med school. But they're not medical doctors.

Certainly. Right now, podiatrists have 7 years worth of schooling: 4 years of Podiatry school and 3 years of Foot and Ankle surgery residency. Currently, there are 3 pod schools that literally take the first two years of medical school with the DOs; DMU, AZPOD, and one California School. Side by side, the same exact test. No difference in grades. Identical. Does that make sense?

Then, third and forth year is when things split up. We do the same rotations, save for OBGYN and Psych. and there are no shelf exams. There are 3 boards like the STEPs, but they are pass fail, cuz we already know our specialty.

I interviewed at these schools and they have to know everything a physician knows; how to place a central line, intubations, full physical exams, etc. Podiatrists are working their way to parity with the other physician professions, hence why the government is considering adding them to the list of doctors that get paid physician wages. For the record, MDs, DOs, and DDS alll get reimbursed at a physician salary in the VA and other government agencies. So the question becomes then, why not podiatry?

Would you forgo your Podiatry acceptance if you got into a DO school?

Absolutely, in the same way a DO student would forgo their DO acceptance if they got into an MD school. Better is better, but for all intents and purposes: MD>DO>>>DPM>>>OD=PharmD>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean .

Wouldn't it make more sense that an Orthopedist do a year or two of fellowship on the foot instead of making a podiatrist an MD?

It would, but not everyone gets an Orthopedic residency. this is a good way for people who were interested in feet to be foot doctors. Plus, its quicker. Though I have heard that some pods absolutely butcher reconstructive surgeries, this is much less so since the passage of a 3 year minimum residency.

Certainly. Right now, podiatrists have 7 years worth of schooling: 4 years of Podiatry school and 3 years of Foot and Ankle surgery residency. Currently, there are 3 pod schools that literally take the first two years of medical school with the DOs; DMU, AZPOD, and one California School. Side by side, the same exact test. No difference in grades. Identical. Does that make sense?

Then, third and forth year is when things split up. We do the same rotations, save for OBGYN and Psych. and there are no shelf exams. There are 3 boards like the STEPs, but they are pass fail, cuz we already know our specialty.

I interviewed at these schools and they have to know everything a physician knows; how to place a central line, intubations, full physical exams, etc. Podiatrists are working their way to parity with the other physician professions, hence why the government is considering adding them to the list of doctors that get paid physician wages. For the record, MDs, DOs, and DDS alll get reimbursed at a physician salary in the VA and other government agencies. So the question becomes then, why not podiatry?

Absolutely, in the same way a DO student would forgo their DO acceptance if they got into an MD school. Better is better, but for all intents and purposes: MD>DO>>>DPM>>>OD=PharmD>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean .

It would, but not everyone gets an Orthopedic residency. this is a good way for people who were interested in feet to be foot doctors. Plus, its quicker. Though I have heard that some pods absolutely butcher reconstructive surgeries, this is much less so since the passage of a 3 year minimum residency.
All the podatrists I worked with in OR were treated no differently than other surgeons. They did up to amputations just like the vascular surgery guys. I have no idea what the protest is above, but pods, at least in FL, are pretty much already there.

I would put dentist in your list also. After some of the dental bills I have had this summer, I am beginning to think they should be at the front.

All the podatrists I worked with in OR were treated no differently than other surgeons. They did up to amputations just like the vascular surgery guys. I have no idea what the protest is above, but pods, at least in FL, are pretty much already there.

I would put dentist in your list also. After some of the dental bills I have had this summer, I am beginning to think they should be at the front.

There's no protest; just an observation that paying Podiatrists like Orthopedists or Vascular or General surgeons doesn't make much sense when their scope is so much smaller and their training so much less.

But I will admit that much of what our government does doesn't make sense.

I forgot to put dentistry because it's on a whole other level ;)

Seriously tho, even with the debt dentists go through, it's such a sweet deal. 4 years of schooling, no limit on how much you can make, very little insurance to deal with, get to help people feel better instantly. It really is the top career.

Sure, but what does this have to do with payment or equal standing in the eyes of the law? A physician's real training happens during residency, certainly not in M1 and M2. The medical school years, lay the foundation that makes residency training possible. I've rotated with NP and PA students before as a med student; and I've taught them on rotations as a resident. I've even had pharmacy students along on rotations as a resident. This doesn't mean any of them are the same as doctors, nor are they trying to be.

And Podiatrists don't have the same (or really even close) residency training we do. I know, we have a podiatry residency in my hospital.

I'll point out here that your boards are not anywhere as in depth as the USMLE or COMLEX. But they don't need to be, you won't be practicing the vast majority of medicine.

I interviewed at these schools and they have to know everything a physician knows; how to place a central line, intubations, full physical exams, etc.

Those things are extremely trivial compared to what a physician needs to know. We have PA's and NP's, students even, who place lines, intubate, and perform complete physicals.

Physicians earn their salt by having strong diagnostic skills, and broad knowledge. They do it by knowing what to do when a patient doesn't have a clear-cut diagnosis or treatment plan. Anyone with a few years of PA school can practice basic medicine, and do it fairly well.

Podiatrists are working their way to parity with the other physician professions, hence why the government is considering adding them to the list of doctors that get paid physician wages. For the record, MDs, DOs, and DDS alll get reimbursed at a physician salary in the VA and other government agencies. So the question becomes then, why not podiatry?

I guess the last question I'll ask is this:

Aren't podiatrists already paid physician wages? Seems the average salaries for surgical podiatrists is in line with Primary care physician salaries.

I've been assuming you meant pay patient with surgical sub-specialists; to which I again say "never gonna happen". I'm open to being proven wrong, but I just can't see it happening.

You seem sure though; can you cite a source that shows this is being considered/discussed?

Last edited: