Why is an anterior resection named as such?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is an anterior resection eg for rectal carcinoma named as such?

I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so thought I would ask here

Members don't see this ad.

Which makes you wonder why a right hemicolectomy isnt called an anterior resection, or a gallbladder isnt called an anterior resection.

The reason it is called that, though, is to contrast it with a perineal approach. A truly, solely perineal approach isnt really done for rectal cancer, but a combined abdomino-perineal approach, or APR, is. So a low anterior resection is when the entire operation is done from anterior and an APR is when there is a perineal portion. Basically its shorthand for a rectal cancer operation in which you preserve the sphincters.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that it is a historical naming that distinguishes it from the Kraske Procedure, which is a posterior resection.

You are all wrong. It's named after the surgeon who first performed it in 1906, Dr. William T. Anterior.

Reactions: 10 users
Which makes you wonder why a right hemicolectomy isnt called an anterior resection, or a gallbladder isnt called an anterior resection.

The reason it is called that, though, is to contrast it with a perineal approach. A truly, solely perineal approach isnt really done for rectal cancer, but a combined abdomino-perineal approach, or APR, is. So a low anterior resection is when the entire operation is done from anterior and an APR is when there is a perineal portion. Basically its shorthand for a rectal cancer operation in which you preserve the sphincters.

You can approach a rectal cancer transanally - usually for small lesions that are T1 - either a pure transanal excision if the lesion is distal enough or TAMIS/TEMS approach. The newest technique on the block is a TaTME. This one does a combined approach similar to APR, but with sphincter sparing.

Yes, but most TaTMEs require transabdominal laparoscopy similar to a standard anterior resection

Yes, but most TaTMEs require transabdominal laparoscopy similar to a standard anterior resection

Yes as I mentioned the newest technique on the block is the TaTME that uses a combined approach similar to APR, but is sphincter sparing.

The TAMIS/TEMS approaches are purely transanal