Why get married?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been thinking about it lately, but school and work take up all my time, so it is hard to imagine trying to find time for a spouse.

I guess later in life, marriage provides a level of security and stability, and I think it makes for a better environment for raising kids.

Kids we can then subject to medical school so they can wonder where all their time goes...

Members don't see this ad.

I have been thinking about it lately, but school and work take up all my time, so it is hard to imagine trying to find time for a spouse.

I guess later in life, marriage provides a level of security and stability, and I think it makes for a better environment for raising kids.

Kids we can then subject to medical school so they can wonder where all their time goes...

LOL
Be careful about letting med school take and/or residency take up all your time though. I know ppl say that, but it's kind of true...it can eat your life.

I don't see myself ever getting married because I have no practical reasons to do so (no kids, my life is stable in all aspects) and while I have seen happy marriages I have yet to see one in 30 years on the planet I think would make me happy. Why would I do something that won't increase my happiness and would therefore quite possibly lead me to negatively impact someone else's?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The OP represents a common problem amongst women now a days. Why get married?

Short term.... no reason.

Long term.... Kids require a father in their life present at home otherwise they are more likely to be promiscuous, less intelligent/lower academic achievement and end up with a broken family themselves. This is demonstrated by multiple studies on pubmed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946827?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA Social deviation.

There are more but it's too much for me to list and it makes sense too. Boys look for their dad as an example of a guy to follow and girls will look for their dad as an example of whom she needs to look for to date. You can think of it this way, "Was your relationship with your dad important?"

From the woman's stand point.. there is no reason anymore to be married other than religious. However to destroy your family for a whim is pretty sad and the only victims here would be the children whom if they had a choice they would have wanted their dad and mom to be together for them.

Hello, staying with someone has nothing to do with being married. Being a good parent/father/mother has nothing to do with being married. We all know of those couples who "stay together for the kids" and it ruins everyones lives...the kids can feel the tension and the resentment. (they are sentient beings afterall). and we know of the couple that was together for like 20 yrs but got married and split up a year later. Logically and practically if your relationship is strong and you are committed to that person, religious ceremopnies dont mean squat. If you want to call your boyfriend of 7 yrs your husband. Go ahead. Want a ring, get one. want a ceremony to celebrate your love...do it! But legal marriage just isnt as beneficial for the non-religious anymore...except for that tax credit. But other than that. Marriage is based on the foundation of commitment and faith in one another. No piece of paper is going to hold you together. But divorce costs WILL keep you wondering in it longer. (unless your lives are simple i.e. no kids, no assests).

Reactions: 1 user
too much to read.
1) Two incomes, one home
2) Great environment to raise kids in
3) gives you more extended family (may be a bad thing too)
4) gives you someone to confide in; a friend and much more
There are also some financial benefits that I'm not well versed on.

"Partners in crime" That's my motto married couples

Reactions: 1 users
Outside of tradition and religion, there are some practical reasons like tax brackets and if you're military there's BAH, healthcare, not having to live in the barracks, and someone to come home to. I think over 90% of E1-E4 are married with a greater than 2% attrition rate per year (I don't recall precise numbers). There are also certain benefits that come from situations like marrying the daughter of a general and superintendent of your alma mater.

I'm not really for or against marriage per se, but it is incentivized in our society. You get a veneer of respectability, social acceptance from strangers, friends, and family, the appearance that you are desirable and get promoted from "when are you gonna get married" to "how many are you guys going to have?" which may become either "why not, I think you two would make excellent parents", "why only one? won't it get lonely?", and after 3 or 4 people start giving unsolicited family planning and financial advice.

Outside of tradition and religion, there are some practical reasons like tax brackets

The tax brackets don't really favor marriage if both spouses have decent incomes. My husband and I would both pay much less in taxes if we weren't married to each other. Our combined incomes push us into that higher tax bracket, cause us to pay additional medicare taxes, and add a surtax on our investment income. Several years we've been subject to AMT which neither of us were paying in the past. In spite of that, he's a good guy, so I'm not exactly planning to divorce him so I can send less money to the IRS.

Reactions: 1 user
too much to read.
1) Two incomes, one home
2) Great environment to raise kids in
3) gives you more extended family (may be a bad thing too)
4) gives you someone to confide in; a friend and much more
There are also some financial benefits that I'm not well versed on.

"Partners in crime" That's my motto married couples

This!