why does canada only have 1 english optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicslover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i mean it seems a bit ridicilous for a country of this size to only have one english speaking school. Is it because they expect the rest to train elsewhere and come back? Or they enough influx of foreign trained ones?

Just curious... All other professional schools seem to have more than just 1 in the entire country.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly...probably because there's not a lot of demand for optometry schools here. Waterloo allows 90 students a year, and last year they had something like 300 applicants. That's a pretty standard acceptance-to-applicant ratio for a professional school - it's not like there are thousands of people trying to apply to the one school. (Actually, that's even a pretty high acceptance rate - 30%, when med school is more like 10%). I'm not sure what Montreal's is, but considering it's French, it doesn't really apply to this topic.

Now, to be fair, the applicant number might be lower because so many people think, "Well, since there's only one school it must be hard to get into!" So they just apply to American schools. Who knows.

I'd really like it if they opened a school on the west side of the country, like at UBC or something, but it probably just doesn't look like that many Canadian students want to be optometrists, and it doesn't make sense to open a second school if it won't be cost-effective - or if it means lowering acceptance standards because you can now have 180 students out of 300 of the same applicants.

Also, we have approximately 11% of the United States population, and 10% the amount of schools (if you include Montreal, otherwise it's 5%). So as far as school-to-population ratio goes, they're not far apart.

Honestly...probably because there's not a lot of demand for optometry schools here. Waterloo allows 90 students a year, and last year they had something like 300 applicants. That's a pretty standard acceptance-to-applicant ratio for a professional school - it's not like there are thousands of people trying to apply to the one school. (Actually, that's even a pretty high acceptance rate - 30%, when med school is more like 10%). I'm not sure what Montreal's is, but considering it's French, it doesn't really apply to this topic.

Now, to be fair, the applicant number might be lower because so many people think, "Well, since there's only one school it must be hard to get into!" So they just apply to American schools. Who knows.

I'd really like it if they opened a school on the west side of the country, like at UBC or something, but it probably just doesn't look like that many Canadian students want to be optometrists, and it doesn't make sense to open a second school if it won't be cost-effective - or if it means lowering acceptance standards because you can now have 180 students out of 300 of the same applicants.

Also, we have approximately 11% of the United States population, and 10% the amount of schools (if you include Montreal, otherwise it's 5%). So as far as school-to-population ratio goes, they're not far apart.

Is that true? Wow. When I attended Waterloo, they accepted only 60 students a year and they would get like 700 applicants a year.

Times they are a' changin I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, i feel the same way. im from western canada wanting to do optiometry and will probably end up going to the US. i dont know if this is true but i head that the average gpa for optiometry students in waterloo is very competative, some one correct me but i heard its like 3.7 or something. i know most schools in the US take gpa's from 3.1-3.4 where 3.4 is considered high.

yes, i feel the same way. im from western canada wanting to do optiometry and will probably end up going to the US. i dont know if this is true but i head that the average gpa for optiometry students in waterloo is very competative, some one correct me but i heard its like 3.7 or something. i know most schools in the US take gpa's from 3.1-3.4 where 3.4 is considered high.

Yes I do hear it's becoming a trend the average scores are slightly starting to dip even more. With the 3 new schools opening, competitive schools are seeing fewer # of applicants. (from SCCO's admissions wkshp) Kind of makes me sad...IMO I think I prefer the standards stay high, though others may disagree. =/

Is that true? Wow. When I attended Waterloo, they accepted only 60 students a year and they would get like 700 applicants a year.

Times they are a' changin I guess.

Indeed. I sent the admissions office an email a couple weeks ago. They expanded the school to allow for 90 students as of...I think 2008, and according to the email I got, they had about 300 applicants for 2010 entry into the program.

The admissions range is between 81% and 94%, with an average in the mid-80's, so yeah, it's about a 3.7-3.8 average GPA for accepted applicants. Pretty intense. And the average OAT score is 370, whereas in the States it's more like 330 or thereabouts (depending on the school).

The admissions range is between 81% and 94%, with an average in the mid-80's, so yeah, it's about a 3.7-3.8 average GPA for accepted applicants. Pretty intense. And the average OAT score is 370, whereas in the States it's more like 330 or thereabouts (depending on the school).

Wow. When I attended, there were people in my class who had high 80s low 90s who weren't even getting interviewed, much less accepted.

By increasing to 90 students, it's understandable how some people who wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell 20 years ago would be admitted but I wonder why the number of applications is so much lower. Strange.

hasn't the demand for optometrists gone way down since canada stopped covering annual eye exams for adults?

i think the demand for them as a profession in canada is getting worse.

are you serious? people aren't going to drop the 50-100 bucks (how much is it exactly anyway now?) to get an annual eye exam especially when measurements are unlikely to change much from year to year for adults. sucky govt reimbursements are still better than nothing.

I am very glad to see this post. We are launching an aggressive campaign with the Govt to open a private optometry school just like we have in the USA.

It is ridiculous for Canada to undeserve its' citizens interested in studying optometry.

This country is already seeing the evidence of shortage of optometrists and it will get worse over the next 10 years once baby boomers all retire.

We need to speak out to make a change!

This post was 7 years ago.