Why caribbean schools?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falcons22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, or perhaps something that is just overlooked. I tried looking online, but can't find an exact answer for this. I am wondering, why are there schools in the Caribbean? Why can't they just open schools here in the US and have lax admissions requirements? Particularly for the top Caribbean schools, that have full accreditation and loans, why not just open a school in the US? Is it the accreditation to be on US soil that is tough, or something else I am missing...?

Members don't see this ad.

They are for-profit institutions. They make more money having the campus on the island. Nobody really understands the inner workings of these schools except the people who are making the money.

It's because to open a US medical school you need LCME accreditation. And that's not easy to get. None of the carib schools would qualify if they were transplanted onto US soil. You need research, lots of other infrastructure.

Also, having a big part of your class fail out somewhere along the line won't pass LCME muster either.

Oh yeah. And then there's the profit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've always had a dream of opening a private medical school in the US if the LCME were to ever open that door. I'd charge $75K per year and I'd have people lining up to get in. The school's tag line would be:

RELAX, YOU'LL GET YOUR DEGREE...

Reactions: 1 users
I've always had a dream of opening a private medical school in the US if the LCME were to ever open that door. I'd charge $75K per year and I'd have people lining up to get in. The school's tag line would be:

RELAX, YOU'LL GET YOUR DEGREE...

Haha. Funny.

Getting the degree is not a problem. Getting a residency... then getting permanent license in a state... then getting board certified is.... as well as maintaining that license and board certification.

So, if you were not simply being tongue-in-cheek humorous and that would actually be your realistic motto and modus operandi, I don't imagine your school would last very long no matter what you charged.

Fun to poke fun. Not fun to sink the capital with nothing to show but a worthless shingle after you've finished "getting your degree".

-Skip

How do I insert that meme picture of Capt Picard facepalming here?