Why are you passionate about optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyelovepuns

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What aspects about optometry as a career are exciting and rewarding to you? What drew you in to selecting optometry as a career? I am about to apply to optometry school and am studying for the OAT, so I would appreciate any extra motivation/inspiration!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You can largely take care of your patient's problems in the 20 mins you have them in your chair.
2. They generally come to see you and leave "in a good mood".
3. You can develop a rapport with them, just through chatting.
4. If you care about the patients, they will notice it, and it's a good feeling to do things the right way.
5. If you aren't a business owner, it's a nice lifestyle (you can leave your work at work).

Reactions: 5 users
1. You can largely take care of your patient's problems in the 20 mins you have them in your chair.
2. They generally come to see you and leave "in a good mood".
3. You can develop a rapport with them, just through chatting.
4. If you care about the patients, they will notice it, and it's a good feeling to do things the right way.
5. If you aren't a business owner, it's a nice lifestyle (you can leave your work at work).

These are the exact reasons I became interested in Optometry!

I love optometry because you can fix the vision problems fairly quick, compared to medicine or dental. At the optometry place I used to volunteer at, I was seeing children who used to do bad in school because they couldn't see the board or read their books. Then, when they get their first pair of glasses, the *glow* on their face seeing the world through the lens made my day. And, hearing from the parents later how the child is now doing well in school made my heart all warm. That motivates me, and I hope it will motivate you as well. :)

Reactions: 1 users