Why are obgyn residents the worst?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YellowTurtle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm almost done with third year. I've rotated through the majority of my clerkships and I'm on obgyn now. I used to want to do obgyn, and I thought everybody was just judgmental when I would hear how horrible the people in obgyn were. (I decided to do surgery before this rotation so this isn't influencing my decision, more just reinforcing it haha). But now that I'm on it I can see why everyone says that. Literally 90% of the residents are so unfriendly and cold. They bark orders and when you ask for direction they will only give you like a two word answer. They never teach and always are pointing out what you're doing wrong -which you weren't aware of because you can't read their mind! Literally every other student on this rotation with me agrees, so it can't be just me. Only the interns and attendings are nice, so something must be happening in between somewhere.

I just don't get it. The only explanation I've heard is that they're overworked, but surgery residency known to be very difficult as well and those residents, while tired and maybe not the most cheerful, weren't nearly like this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually had the opposite experience with Surgery and OB/GYN, but I understand what you are saying and agree with the general demeanor of the people who choose that field. We were told that "the **** rolls downhill" and attendings crap on residents, who crap on students. I think it's the constant threat of being sued (OB has the highest amounts of lawsuits in medicine).

I'm almost done with third year. I've rotated through the majority of my clerkships and I'm on obgyn now. I used to want to do obgyn, and I thought everybody was just judgmental when I would hear how horrible the people in obgyn were. (I decided to do surgery before this rotation so this isn't influencing my decision, more just reinforcing it haha). But now that I'm on it I can see why everyone says that. Literally 90% of the residents are so unfriendly and cold. They bark orders and when you ask for direction they will only give you like a two word answer. They never teach and always are pointing out what you're doing wrong -which you weren't aware of because you can't read their mind! Literally every other student on this rotation with me agrees, so it can't be just me. Only the interns and attendings are nice, so something must be happening in between somewhere.

I just don't get it. The only explanation I've heard is that they're overworked, but surgery residency known to be very difficult as well and those residents, while tired and maybe not the most cheerful, weren't nearly like this.

I'd chalk it up to institution-specific factors. At mine, I've heard worse about surgeons but OB/GYN residents weren't exactly the happiest bunch either. Think about it, they're overworked just like surgery residents. Maybe not as much, but still overworked. I think what you're asking is a much more interesting question which is if matriculating into an OB/GYN rotation is selecting for any malignant personality types. I personally doubt it. I know plenty of OB/GYN applicants and they're all very nice and the interns for the most part were also nice. Whatever you experienced was probably just due to overworked residents who want to give you a taste of OB/GYN. Also, as to why OB/GYN is notorious for this is probably because more people expect this out of surgeons and no one really expects OB/GYN to be as surgical as it is and it's relatively non-competitive scholastically so most people would have preconceived notions of it being chiller leading to more of a shock factor while rotating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

Because they have to look at blue waffle all day.

Reactions: 12 users
I'd be mad all the time too if I had to do a pelvic on a 300 pound lady with abnormal uterine bleeding, in the ER, at 3am, on a Sunday.

Reactions: 15 users
I'd be mad all the time too if I had to do a pelvic on a 300 pound lady with abnormal uterine bleeding, in the ER, at 3am, on a Sunday.

I would totally get that too. But nope. Just sitting in their lounge with maybe 2-3 patients laboring and maybe 2-3 sections scheduled for be day and they are cold as ice.

I suppose it could be institution-specific. But I've also heard from non-obgyn attendings who said they considered obgyn in med school but didn't go into it because of the people.

I think it happens early because I can almost pick out who the future ob-gyn residents are just from looking at the med students.

Reactions: 15 users
Specifically requested OB/GYN as my first rotation for this reason.

Reactions: 3 users

Of all the stereotypes of M3/M4, this was the one that I found to be the most true. Truth be told, I found it almost comical how accurately it lived up to my expectations. Interns were nice, attendings were great, but PGY2+ were all horrible. Like refused to acknowledge your existence when speaking to them horrible. It's definitely some weird cultural quirk about their training pathway as they are definitely not any more overworked than your typical med/surg resident.

OB intern here. I try to be the intern that engages medical students because I was just there and know how bad it sucks to be ignored and disregarded. But not all students make it easy. Some are so entitled or already come into the rotation expecting it to be bad. So those with that attitude make the rotation harder on themselves. We are busy enough. Its hard to get little moments of teaching in as it is. But when you already come in with a chip on your shoulder, it makes us less likely to go above and beyond to teach you.

and just a reminder...having social awareness always helps. Asking me questions about the mechanism of magnesium for seizure prophylaxis while we are running to an eclamptic seizure might not be the best time for a learning moment.

Reactions: 9 users
*Ahem*

How has someone not made the obvious joke this phenomena yet?

Members don't see this ad :)

Resident pimped me on the whiff test and I replied KOH reaction and she yelled at me "No! It's a fishy vagina.". I shook my head and asked her if she really went to medical
school. Yeah, probably not the best move on my part but it was 3am on my last day...

Reactions: 8 users
Regardless of the field, I found people with zero interests outside of medicine to be the hardest to work with. When all you can talk about is work-related, interacting with that individual inevitably becomes a burden.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user

Same experience here. Sorry, there's no excuse. Gen surg, neurosurg etc have equal or harder schedules. They may be tough to deal with but nowhere near OB. And it's also true that you can tell which med students will be OBs because they buy into this 'can't touch this' attitude these residents have cultivated. Also, seeing c-sections after seeing gen surg makes me question the OBs are surgeons claim.

I think it happens early because I can almost pick out who the future ob-gyn residents are just from looking at the med students.
I was going to say something similar. It's not about the OB residency. It's about those selecting to go into it. I've never seen a more miserable group of people in the workplace.

Reactions: 4 users
I think part of it is that they are not real surgeons and have an inferiority complex when they see real surgeons in the hospital and so they take it out on the med student. Dont let it get to you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

we're still missing something

I wish we could get an insider's view and some ob/gyn residents could explain this

now, to be fair, I didn't get to interact with a lot of male ob/gyn residents or attendings, the ones I did were really lovely people

I hate to be genderist and suggest it's just the female ob/gyn docs that truly represent the most malignant personalities in the hospital, but.....

the female general surgeons I spent time around weren't cupcakes either, but I swear.....

Reactions: 5 users
But that's my job. Most abnormal vaginal bleeding does not need overnight OB/Gyn evaluation.

I guess every hospital is different. We had OB/GYN hospitalists present in the hospital all the time. ER would call us in the middle of the night.

I guess every hospital is different. We had OB/GYN hospitalists present in the hospital all the time. ER would call us in the middle of the night.

depending on the size of your center, you pretty much always have an ob/gyn or two in the hospital... because babies are a 24/7 thing. Small hospitals someone is on call and possibly there is no delivery that evening, or they are able to sleep for much of it.

Also, abnormal vaginal bleeding in a non-pregnant vs pregnant woman represent very different things for all involved, the EM and the ob/gyn docs

we're still missing something

I wish we could get an insider's view and some ob/gyn residents could explain this

now, to be fair, I didn't get to interact with a lot of male ob/gyn residents or attendings, the ones I did were really lovely people

I hate to be genderist and suggest it's just the female ob/gyn docs that truly represent the most malignant personalities in the hospital, but.....

the female general surgeons I spent time around weren't cupcakes either, but I swear.....

I'm not a MD or med student etc but I have been working with doctors, mainly OB/Gyn's, for almost 30 years and this is the absolute truth! Female OB/Gyn's are the WORST! They are miserable doctors/humans/employers. There are a few that are actually kind and care for their patients but as someone who works closely with them day in and day out, OMG! They do not sympathize with a woman in labor, they seem to think they should just tough it out or skip labor altogether and just do elective c-section with minimal to no pain meds after. They bitch about everything, they never want to pay you much but expect you to know and do everything. I have worked with both male and female as well as had both as my doctors (mostly male, I stayed with one of those rare female OB's that was nice but after my 6 hour complicated abd hyst with bladder susp she only gave me #20 Tyl #3!)....the male OB's always paid more, were nicer, more appreciative, ran on time better than their counterparts and didn't nit-pick. The males were kinder to their patients, managed pain better, the birthing experience was always more positive with the male OB's and the women tended to get their desired births with the male OB and they were more sympathetic when there was a loss. I could go on and on but man there is a HUGE difference! Women seeing an ob/gyn for the first time always want to see a woman but I tell them oh no, you want a man! If anyone would like suggestions on how to run your medical practice and what will make you successful, ask! I have opened several practices over the years and know what it takes to run a good private practice.

Reactions: 8 users
yeah, this comparison about obgyn, and to a lesser extent general surgery... we know the reasons. but we all wanna be PC. so... you know ur not alone ;)

@YellowTurtle , et al.

Do you think what you're saying is generally true among all ob/gyns or just the females? I've only worked with 1 resident who was a male and he was lovely and really helpful. I remember him emailing me practice bulletins to read during down time and was an awesome teacher. I wonder if this is site specific.

I guess because their job sucks

I didn't find the OB/Gyns particularly malignant but without a doubt my least favorite rotation/residents.

Hey,, male OBGYN resident here. Yes, other surgical specialties have just as many hours as we do, but I think that we have a more constant flow of high stress situations, especially on the labor floor. Things can get ugly real fast. It's basically managing an ER for pregnant patients, handling very high risk patients who may or may not have any prenatal care at any given time during the night, and being seconds away from having to perform stat c -sections. Oh and there's the routine patients who we Just want to make sure have a normal labor curve and a good experience for the birth of their child.
When not on the labor floor, we are in charge of a lot of patients. Especially on nights, weekends and holidays. This includes the GYN and GYN onc service, all ER consults, floor consults, all of postpartum (which can be 40-50 patients) and c sections.
I think the constant flow of stressful situations can manifest itself outwards, and different residents have different coping strategies for it. I still think it's the best field in medicine and very rewarding when good outcomes happen. We are all a friendly bunch when you get to know us

Reactions: 3 users
Hey,, male OBGYN resident here. Yes, other surgical specialties have just as many hours as we do, but I think that we have a more constant flow of high stress situations, especially on the labor floor. Things can get ugly real fast. It's basically managing an ER for pregnant patients, handling very high risk patients who may or may not have any prenatal care at any given time during the night, and being seconds away from having to perform stat c -sections. Oh and there's the routine patients who we Just want to make sure have a normal labor curve and a good experience for the birth of their child.
When not on the labor floor, we are in charge of a lot of patients. Especially on nights, weekends and holidays. This includes the GYN and GYN onc service, all ER consults, floor consults, all of postpartum (which can be 40-50 patients) and c sections.
I think the constant flow of stressful situations can manifest itself outwards, and different residents have different coping strategies for it. I still think it's the best field in medicine and very rewarding when good outcomes happen. We are all a friendly bunch when you get to know us

just lol. okay.
i appreciate the input from behind the eyes of an obgyn

• Haha
I also forgot to mention the steady flow of the routine patient with no medical history who later develops a post partum hemorrhage and loses liters of blood within seconds. Not fun. Lol

Okay. I was on the neurosurgery service. 60+ patients is normal. As are ruptured AVMs, trauma/constant ER consults, brain herniation, instantaneous ICP spikes etc etc. >80 hrs/week is expected.

I'm not buying it. I had a terrible experience on OB/GYN, the residents were ridiculously high-strung. Nsurg, gen surg, ortho residents etc were all more chill.

Ya'll need some chill.

eh, I would still argue that what the chill male ob/gyn resident told me is true:

in ob, *most* outcomes are good, but the bad ones, well, they can be *the* worst ones you ever get in the hospital

not much is sadder than a dead baby

even in peds I would argue there's a lot of mitigating factors that edge ob further along in terms of stress

we all have the pressure of not killing patients, but I think it's the highest in ob

Reactions: 7 users
I would guess it has a lot to do with the pressure of your patient population and the constant threat of jacking it up. Women are generally pretty wound up about their pregnancies and possible negative outcomes. The risk of being sued by a traumatized expectant mother in OB/GYN is pretty high.

I would guess it has a lot to do with the pressure of your patient population and the constant threat of jacking it up. Women are generally pretty wound up about their pregnancies and possible negative outcomes. The risk of being sued by a traumatized expectant mother in OB/GYN is pretty high.

I was recently informed that the OB that delivered my 3rd child almost 18 years ago was still talking to others about how he still worried I would sue him. I also recently was told that he has felt responsible all these years that my daughter has cognitive issues among others (I'm trying to be vague for privacy reasons, but she will always need care) and that he worried it was his fault because I had a hard VBAC with complications (still trying to be vague). I was told this by several of his close contacts, that I am close with as well, on several occasions. I finally contacted him and hopefully eased his mind re: lawsuit that never crossed my mind EVER and neither did it cross my mind that he did anything wrong. I was saddened to hear he's been hanging onto to this for SO LONG and wanted to absolve him of any guilt or wrongdoing. I don't expect to hear from him but I wanted to ease his mind and heart if I could. Not all bad outcomes will result in lawsuits as not all bad outcomes are anyones fault, **** happens!

Reactions: 10 users

Had to do an urban clinic rotation as a MS4. There existed such a thing as "Pap Smear Fridays" to help the poor still get free/reduced cost access to basic health maintenance. The smells that can't be un-smelled will haunt me forever.

Reactions: 4 users
I was recently informed that the OB that delivered my 3rd child almost 18 years ago was still talking to others about how he still worried I would sue him. I also recently was told that he has felt responsible all these years that my daughter has cognitive issues among others (I'm trying to be vague for privacy reasons, but she will always need care) and that he worried it was his fault because I had a hard VBAC with complications (still trying to be vague). I was told this by several of his close contacts, that I am close with as well, on several occasions. I finally contacted him and hopefully eased his mind re: lawsuit that never crossed my mind EVER and neither did it cross my mind that he did anything wrong. I was saddened to hear he's been hanging onto to this for SO LONG and wanted to absolve him of any guilt or wrongdoing. I don't expect to hear from him but I wanted to ease his mind and heart if I could. Not all bad outcomes will result in lawsuits as not all bad outcomes are anyones fault, **** happens!

you're a good person. just wanted to throw that out there.

I'm not a MD or med student etc but I have been working with doctors, mainly OB/Gyn's, for almost 30 years and this is the absolute truth! Female OB/Gyn's are the WORST! They are miserable doctors/humans/employers. There are a few that are actually kind and care for their patients but as someone who works closely with them day in and day out, OMG! They do not sympathize with a woman in labor, they seem to think they should just tough it out or skip labor altogether and just do elective c-section with minimal to no pain meds after. They bitch about everything, they never want to pay you much but expect you to know and do everything. I have worked with both male and female as well as had both as my doctors (mostly male, I stayed with one of those rare female OB's that was nice but after my 6 hour complicated abd hyst with bladder susp she only gave me #20 Tyl #3!)....the male OB's always paid more, were nicer, more appreciative, ran on time better than their counterparts and didn't nit-pick. The males were kinder to their patients, managed pain better, the birthing experience was always more positive with the male OB's and the women tended to get their desired births with the male OB and they were more sympathetic when there was a loss. I could go on and on but man there is a HUGE difference! Women seeing an ob/gyn for the first time always want to see a woman but I tell them oh no, you want a man! If anyone would like suggestions on how to run your medical practice and what will make you successful, ask! I have opened several practices over the years and know what it takes to run a good private practice.

I'm sorry, but your bias formed by your own anecdotal experiences is not "the absolute truth". Females are not inherently more likely than males to become mean people while completing an OB residency.

I think the answer to this question has been covered well in this thread. Having "two patients", dead babies, unpredictable hours of l&d, the surgical culture, being pestered by (soon-to-be) parents, med students coming in with their guards up, etc is enough to put it on the higher-end of stressful residencies even if it doesn't win the pissing contest for #1 most stressful. Of course nobody forced these residents to go into this field and none of this is an excuse to be a jerk.

Also agreed that some students can ruin rotations for themselves when they buy into stereotypes. At my site, most of the female OB/GYN residents were saccharine so the ONE resident that acted a little sterner got slapped with the "total bitch, do not approach" label pretty quickly. That said, my heart goes out to students that had to deal with truly malignant personalities on any rotation. It's terrible that some residents can't bring themselves to act respectful and nice, and end up singlehandedly turning students off of fields that could potentially be a great match for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Had to do an urban clinic rotation as a MS4. There existed such a thing as "Pap Smear Fridays" to help the poor still get free/reduced cost access to basic health maintenance. The smells that can't be un-smelled will haunt me forever.

you deserve a medal

Reactions: 1 users
Tbh, half of the Ob/gyn club at my school have been really confrontational since day 1 of med school.

Stereotypes really do apply. The neuro and ophtho club are pretty nerdy. The Em and ortho clubs are "bros". Peds club is the nicest. Derm club members are all welldressed and pretty attractive. FM and IM are pretty dull.

• Haha
Should have waited until I finished surgery to contribute to this thread. In my experience, surgery attending physicians and residents can be terrible too. First of all, never have I seen rank being so obvious among a team to the point where if you even address a 3rd year or higher, you're asking for trouble. In addition, I've been yelled at in the OR for not tying correct. This was my first time doing non-suction/retract work in the OR and I had to throw some 2-0 vicryl uninterrupted for skin closure and staple a different wound. It was my first time doing both (though we have a skills day for an hours). When I was struggling, the resident was like didn't you have your skills day? Note that I have terrible vision and need new glasses while he was doing the task as someone who didn't need glasses but was some kind of magnifiers. He asked me "Why is this so hard?" when I screwed up (had to suture the belly fold and missed a throw on one loop and left to big a gap under the fold but let him know I wasn't sure) and after he was like if you were so bad at this, you should tell me. This is the patient's life, not yours. Then later, the patient developed swelling at the site because his graft got infected and the resident told me in the OR during our next case that that was the wound I was suturing hinting it was me that did something. Another kinder resident made me cry for the first time on rotations because I had put a "thumbs up" symbol on a resident's comment in the group chat and he thought I was using quotation marks and trying to be sassy in the group chat. Also, all round, the residents and attending talk a huge amount of smack about IM and say that they're basically doing their job and operating on top of it which pisses me off. I just don't get it. I'm a great student, I answer their pimp questions ranging from everything from management of surgical conditions to types of sutures and why we're using them correctly. It just takes me more time for me historically to learn anything procedural but the desire is there and I have practiced, but at this point, getting IM/Surg UWorld, Devirgilio, Pestana, OME down is more important than working with my board. I've gotten a lot less clumsy over the rotation and am faster with dressings and handing them things (or having them ready) but they still ask me when they leave the room and as I run to catch up with them what takes me so long. I have another student on the rotation who's way worse in terms of knowledge, dexterity, and has to be told everything, and asks them a millions of questions regardless, and acts like a huge baby who is never sure of anything etc. and they're like super sympathetic with him and clap him on the back when they see him. Whenever they pimp us, they always give the guy a shot at getting questions posed to me, but they never do the opposite. He doesn't even know things like what the cardiovascular implications of a fistula two weeks into vascular surgery but they still love him even though after every presentation the whole team has to spend 20 seconds calming him down after he cries like a baby about not presenting right. Basically, they don't want anyone to feel content with themselves. With all that said, I like surgery and I admire/respect all the residents despite their attitudes but I feel like I could be just as good as them one day if I practiced to the extent that I would like to if I didn't have CK/Surgery Shelfs around the corner. I don't see the need for them to be so harsh which is saying something because I came in knowing it would be bad and it ended up being pretty bad.

Last edited:
It's institution specific. On my rotation the attendings have been kind and willingn to teach. The residents have been accommodating and will pimp with the intention to teach and not embarrass. I am very grateful to how supportive and willing to teach and just converse about life and medicine everyone from the PGY1s have been up to the attendingns. HELL even the private practice docs that roll through teach me!

I've been told the ob residents at my institutions but I have yet to see it. In fact on the first day of orientation I hit it off with the chief resident so it might just people the people in the rotation? I really hope so for my sake .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm about to wrap up my OB rotation and have to say I've been very happy with the rotation as a whole (which I realize is the exception, not the norm). Almost all of the residents have been patient, reasonable, and decent teachers, and the attendings have been very approachable. I've been included in and able to "do" a lot more than I would have thought.

That being said, our upperclassmen said this rotation was a nightmare and last year the word got back to the OB PD. Apparently changes were made.

It's more women oriented both patients and phycisians. They work bad hours and have to deal with deliveries, crying, and vaginas all day. I can imagine why they'd be pissed

That's awesome. You are awesome.

The residents and attending talk a huge amount of smack about IM and say that they're basically doing their job and operating on top of it which pisses me off.

You know what they say: A surgeon is an internist that has actually completed his training :laugh:

I AGREE. OB/GYN residents are incompetent teachers. I've seen them be very unprofessional and talk about patients vaginas smelling and violate HIPPA. They treat us med students like we are stupid when we know more than them. They are very inconsistent in their preferences and emotionally labile. I did my rotation at the DMC in detroit and the majority of the residents are from out of state or canada. They gossip constantly and will talk bad about each other as soon as someone has their back turned. Very different experience than my other rotations.