New Nova School In Clearwater in 2019??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the update. Would not be surprised to see over 8000 students enter DO schools in 2019. 7369 matriculated in 2016.
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/pub-file-fall-enrollment-2016.pdf?sfvrsn=6

At the rate its been going, I wouldn't be surprised if DO matriculants hit 8k by 2018 even. 200-400 a year practically has been the trend for what, the last decade? Unless the COCA changes actually are implemented and they slow things down, it sure feels like that'll happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
At the rate its been going, I wouldn't be surprised if DO matriculants hit 8k by 2018 even. 200-400 a year practically has been the trend for what, the last decade? Unless the COCA changes actually are implemented and they slow things down, it sure feels like that'll happen.

I really do wonder about the future.

Last edited:
I really am starting to find 68 funny with his insistence that mildly competitive or uncompetitive fields are requiring DOs to have grand usmle scores. I mean I get it, a 235 is just a number to you right now.

But honestly, I know plenty of COMLEX only DOs who match into those fields with no issue. I know plenty of under 220s who are comfortable matching into those fields. No need to fan some hysterical flame and push the notion that everyone is going to get shafted. It's not cute.
You should stop painting rosy pictures as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so...the stats from this years matches just looked to my eye like a fire bell in the night. I don't remember the exact number, but it had to do with the number of people not matching.

Perhaps join the AMA, make the point that there is no longer a need to have an AOA, absorb the DOs, and then fix COCA accreditation of DO schools. Either way, you're the future of the profession. Just do something to stomp on the mindlessness of the AOA's "more DOs good!" mentality.
At least your being honest, Goro, too many others are not. We are coming up against that wall. No choice for those of us in it but to move on. I think its very telling that COCA is dropping the 95% placement rate requirement. They can say what they want, but what they are doing says more IMO. But those of us paying attention just have to do what we can to get ready.

Reactions: 1 user
At least your being honest, Goro, too many others are not. We are coming up against that wall. No choice for those of us in it but to move on. I think its very telling that COCA is dropping the 95% placement rate requirement. They can say what they want, but what they are doing says more IMO. But those of us paying attention just have to do what we can to get ready.
Source, please????

I think a big factor on the horizon is how many AOA programs successfully make the the transition to full ACGME accreditation.
Here is the latest AACOM update: May 2017 Single GME Accreditation System Update
Does someone have a resource for the total amount of AOA programs? I found a really cool chart in the form of a speedometer-like graph, but can't seem to find it now. Just trying to get a figure for what percent of AOA are actually applying.

Last edited:
Basically, someone came along with tens of millions of dollars, wanting to ensure his legacy, and offered it to the school. What was nova supposed to say? No thanks, even though you already applied, and received approval, for a new osteopathic school in Clearwater, and you want to hand us $70 million and have us run it, we're actually kind of busy with this new MD school and we're worried about training too many doctors, so we think we'll pass on your money. As a nova student, and from Clearwater, I'm pretty stoked about the new site. The location is really cool, there are plenty of hospitals to do rotations at, and to start new residencies. I had a long talk with someone in administration the other day and I think the things that are being planned are really exciting. Why does every DO thread devolve into whether DOs are competitive or not? Even engaging in the conversation smacks of self esteem issues.

Last edited:
I think one of the conspiracy theories floating around here is that eventually the DO program will be moved to Clearwater and the MD program will stay on the main campus.