Who is taking the Pulmonary boards this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartesos

Medalaganario
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is a bit of a pain not to have much board review questions other than SEEK....
And the accp board review book is sometimes too... Not to the point.

Let's please share what materials we are using and if they are helpful or not.

I bought some old books on amazon like blow your pulmonary boards and pearls of wisdom, but they are oooold and in find most of those buzzwords and fact are for usmle.

I heard from staff and fellows the accp book and seek question + board review course is enough. Is it?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking boards this yr as well. I was also told that ACCP book + SEEK Qs + board review are more than enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's reassuring!
Thanks!
I'll be doing SEEK questions and attending the ACCP review course, as well. I also have the ATS board review book, which I heard was more useful than the ACCP book. It's available as a free download for ATS members. Do you have that book?

I'll be doing SEEK questions and attending the ACCP review course, as well. I also have the ATS board review book, which I heard was more useful than the ACCP book. It's available as a free download for ATS members. Do you have that book?

I don't have it but will look for it today!
Thanks for the info.
They pay for that course for us, I'll be there!

What? You don't reading micro cellular mechanisms of HIV immunosuppressive?

Pretty well everyone I know did the last 2 sets of seek + ACCP board review with some reading the accp book (which is painful).

What? You don't reading micro cellular mechanisms of HIV immunosuppressive?

Pretty well everyone I know did the last 2 sets of seek + ACCP board review with some reading the accp book (which is painful).

Reading that book is painful for some topics...

I hope it's enough because the 2200 bucks is not something I want to pay again for now...
And the embarrassment, forget about it!

Good evening, I am just starting preparing for pulmonary boards 2016 and I reaaly need guidance, any help?

Good evening, I am just starting preparing for pulmonary boards 2016 and I reaaly need guidance, any help?

What Hernández said earlier is good advise( seek, board review and as much of the accp book you can muster).

They have a seek app for the iPhone/iPad now that has all the questions and is actually cheaper than buying the books.

We should be getting our scores soon, I will give you more in depth advice if I pass!

For now take it from the pros here.

Good luck!

What Hernández said earlier is good advise( seek, board review and as much of the accp book you can muster).

They have a seek app for the iPhone/iPad now that has all the questions and is actually cheaper than buying the books.

We should be getting our scores soon, I will give you more in depth advice if I pass!

For now take it from the pros here.

Good luck!
I'm starting to study for the 2016 board now as well. I have the ACCP Syllabus, am doing the SEEK questions from the CHEST APP on Android (purchasing questions in 10-question segments), and plan to take the ACCP board review course in August 2016 in Arizona.

Usually I need to study on the heavier side than most others in order to do well on standardized exams -- has anyone tried a 3rd party review course such as The Pass Machine? Money's really no issue, but I just want to know if anyone has found additional study programs helpful... they 'say' their pass rates are higher and if you don't pass they give you your money back... what are your thoughts?

-Thanks!

I'm starting to study for the 2016 board now as well. I have the ACCP Syllabus, am doing the SEEK questions from the CHEST APP on Android (purchasing questions in 10-question segments), and plan to take the ACCP board review course in August 2016 in Arizona.

Usually I need to study on the heavier side than most others in order to do well on standardized exams -- has anyone tried a 3rd party review course such as The Pass Machine? Money's really no issue, but I just want to know if anyone has found additional study programs helpful... they 'say' their pass rates are higher and if you don't pass they give you your money back... what are your thoughts?

-Thanks!

If you can learn from board review courses anyone should do... As long as you put your effort in you will be fine. The chest Br is useful only as a wrap up of the book on those long days, and some new questions( like 50).

It's a lot cheaper to buy the questions from the app then from the books and there are much more questions in the app. The 600+ questions available amount to 340. And that includes the new questions in the new book.

The app is nice on my iPad. :)

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the exam was not as straightforward as the IM boards. A lot of either " you know it or you don't " type of questions. A lot of path slides , weird molecular stuff and vent waveforms. 15-20% exam is critical care. I don't know how the exam is scored but I did fairly well on bread and butter pulmonary and critical care medicine and my score is way above passing score(600/800), close to 1 SD above average, so I would say concentrate on that. I spent a total of 6-7 weeks studying ( 4 weeks exclusively) for boards. I did not go the board review course and after talking to my co fellows who did , I believe it's pretty useful. I bought the online ACCP lectures which were ok but not current ( lectures were from 2012 ACCP course) which I think is a scam cos you pay close to 800$ for it. I read the SEEK book , ATS book (which is a very easy read and just a collection of high yield bullet points) and did most of the SEEK questions. I found the SEEK book most useful out of the three. Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 user
Passed. All I did was seek questions. I really wonder if review courses are scams - playing on anxieties.

Tbh there is nothing new at chest br they just go over the book in pdf format. I had read the book and it was painful to go through it that way. I will not be doing it in 10 years.

If you have not read the book, then go ahead and attend Br for an overview of it.

Congratulations to all that passed the exam. The general consensus (and I agree) is that the critical care board is easier than the pulmonary board.

I went to the ACCP Pulm Board Review - thought it was helpful but yeah, the lectures basically reviewed what's in the board review book. I did not attend the ACCP critical care board review and I skimmed through the board review book (mainly did SEEK questions) and I still did well on the critical care boards. I think critical care was easier because it asked more relevant/practical stuff that we've all been exposed to (typical MICU stuff, typical SICU/trauma/post-op management, typical neuro ICU, cardiac stuff, etc)

FYI 96% (84% last yr)first time test takers passed this yr

Does anyone have a ATS board review book they want to lend/sell to me?
Starting to study for Pulm Boards......
Thanks in advance

I think you can download the ATS book for free if you are an ATS member. Let me know if you cannot find the link.

Just took the pulm boards the other day and nervously waiting. Any recommendations of AOBIM CC board review material? For pulm I did seek, ats, and chest on demand lectures multiple times and felt it covered what was tested. Hoping to have a couple resources like this for critical care. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!

Definitely liking the Green Book, by Dr.Go, more so than the bloody ATS book.

Anyone else having a hard time navigating through the SEEK questions? I feel their servers might be overloading because of how close we are to the exam.

best of luck for the boards, everyone. lets hope none of us here are the 4%

Passed AOBIM pulm boards. ATS read x 2. Seek x 3. ACCP online lectures with review of slides x 2.

I'm taking the pulm boards this year (2018) was going to buy SEEK questions. Do you all know when and if they get updated. Have they been updated for this year?

Thanks.

I'm taking the pulm boards this year (2018) was going to buy SEEK questions. Do you all know when and if they get updated. Have they been updated for this year?

Thanks.

Yes, they update Seek library as soon as new version is released. Current library includes most recent 27th edition that came out last year.

I'm taking the AOBIM Pulmonary Boards this week. Just finished SEEK x3 and am planning to read the ATS book this week. Couldn't afford the CHEST videos or a review course. Is this enough to pass? I'm going to be so upset if I have to push my CCM boards back next year if I don't pass the pulm boards this year. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

I'm taking the AOBIM Pulmonary Boards this week. Just finished SEEK x3 and am planning to read the ATS book this week. Couldn't afford the CHEST videos or a review course. Is this enough to pass? I'm going to be so upset if I have to push my CCM boards back next year if I don't pass the pulm boards this year. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, this will be enough. More than enough.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s the 450ish combined total I believe. Can I just vent how absolutely unacceptable it is that CHEST updated and changed all of the questions 5 days before the AOBIM pulm exam this week. I mean seriously?

Yes, this will be enough. More than enough.

Well I just took it and that was awful. They didn't even have appropriate imaging or up to date questions on COPD management based on GOLD criteria. I feel like everything I studied from SEEK/ATS was completely inadequate. Wish I had signed up for the ABIM since there pass rate is 96-98% every year but it's too late now. Nobody even knows the pass rate for the AOBIM. I'm going to be so sad if I studied for months for nothing :(.