MD & DO Which USMLA first Aid book to buy? MS-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I will be starting at a D.O school with plans to have a competitive USMLE score. I have been advised by other 3rd/4th year students that my school's curriculum (like many others) doesn't prepare us very well for USMLEs and we must be more responsible for our own learning. More over, we only 5 weeks to study for Steps 1 unlike some other medical schools who get more time.
My mentor student recommend that I get a copy of USMLE First aid to make sure that the stuff we are assigned in school matches the First-Aid/High yield topics that appear on USMLE and prioritize the studying that way!

I see there is USMLE FIRST AID STEP1 but also USLME Basic Sciences General Principal and USMLE Basic Sciences Organ Systems

Which book should I get ESPECIALLY to self-study/ensure that I'm learning all relevant things ?

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be USMLE First Aid Step1. Also note that the book does not teach you. It's just an outline of what you need to know. The thing I recommend all my students is to buy the book, and correlate it to your lectures. Undoubtedly, they'll be some material in FA that won't be taught in your school. In that case, just Google/Youtube/Wiki about it and make notes. That should put you in a good position down the road. If you have any other questions about the STEP, please feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, for the first year students I would recommend the Basic Science books from which you can learn what you're supposed to learn but your school ignored. By contrast, the First Aid for Step 1 is a very concise review book, which is great at exactly that, review, but you can't learn from it the first time around. Get it when you're ready to start studying for Step 1 (hint: not in the first year)

Members don't see this ad :)
which one do you recommend: organ systems or basic science concepts and why?

but FA step 1 and study class material. Check to see what material that is being taught in class is also in FA. If it's not then it's not HY (a lot of class material is low yield) and don't worry about it too much

First Aid for step 1, but don't forget the many other valuable resources out there (Sketchy, Pathoma, Firecracker, boards and beyond). Although first aid has everything you need, it's a very poor teaching tool when used on its own.

which one do you recommend: organ systems or basic science concepts and why?

I would recommend both, as they have different units. Organ systems for physiology and such; basic science for biochem other other things.

So maybe a more appropriate question is: which supplemental books to use to help learn MS1 stuff (everything but pathology?)

So maybe a more appropriate question is: which supplemental books to use to help learn MS1 stuff (everything but pathology?)
None until you need them. [meaning: until you don't understand something or realize you want a review vs. text]

Then, you can look at BRS or the Lippincott illustrated series (totally dependent on your learning style). Just ask the upperclassmen who have already gone through it - they will know what was useful and what wasn't.

edited for clarity.