Which residency best suited for Allergy/Immunology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jspar1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that one can apply to an Allergy/Immunology fellowship after completing either a medicine, peds, or combined med/peds residency. How does each particular residency influence the type of practice you'll have after completing A/I fellowship? I read on an older thread that if you go the Peds->AI route, you can still see adult patients and if you go the Medicine->AI route, you can still see peds patients. Is that the actually true? Any affect on salary?

What about Med/Peds residency? Would a Med/Peds residency make me more competitive for an A/I fellowship?

Do ALL Allergy/Immunology fellowship programs accept combined Med/Peds graduates? Or are there only a few A/I programs that accept med/peds graduates?

I know I just threw in multiple questions in one post but if someone can please answer these questions for me, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As a med/ped trained resident you can apply to both adult and pediatric AI programs, I believe. It may increase your chances of matching into fellowship. Also, a lot of the congenital immunodeficiency syndromes are mostly pediatrics based, a lot of what you would see as an adult is someone with a million and one allergies which aren't real allergies. A lot of the job is just counseling and reassurance ...but then again, I guess that's medicine in general.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your helpful response!

Interesting. I didn't know there was such a thing as either an adult or pediatric A/I program. I was under the impression that ALL A/I fellowships were the same and encompassed both adult and pediatric medicine as a part of the curriculum

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine or Med/Peds. Unless you do pure peds allergy, you will be seeing way too many adults to just do pediatrics.

Pediatrics is the best path to take. I did IM. Peds deals with allergy (eczema, asthma, food allergy, etc) a lot more frequently than adult medicine (most programs are inpatient heavy). Med/peds will allow you to apply to both....it's an additional year of training. I vote for pediatric residency.

Reactions: 1 user