Which path to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ground control

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just a brief background, I'm a 28 year old GP from Asia, graduated 2014, and I've decided to move elsewhere to continue training or practicing medicine. At first I did not even consider leaving, but due to fairly recent, and personal events (which I won't disclose), I've decided to leave my country. Here are my options:

I'm considering going to the US. I took Step 1 this year, but I've flunked it, unfortunately. Inasmuch as I would like to have a second go at it, I was strongly advised not to as the chances of matching are much more slim given that I am already and IMG. I am also considering doing medical school all over again in the US, but it is ridiculously expensive, and it will take another 4 years, and I'm not sure myself how to go about it.

I'm also considering Australia (my first choice actually, and my first post here in SDN). I decided against it because of the extreme difficulty of getting into a residency program. But now, at least for Australia, getting into a residency program is not as much of a priority as it once was, and I'm cool with practicing as a GP given how much more manageable it is compared to the US pathway, hopefully later on be apply and be qualified for a residency program.

With these being said, I'd like to hear your thoughts and comments. I'm at a crossroad and I don't know what to do and can't commit entirely to anything at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.