Navy Which of these locations are considered green side?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
aside from the ones I bolded, which ones are considered green side?

AEGD
Naval Postgraduate Dental School, Bethesda, MD

2nd Dental Battalion, Camp Lejeune, NC

1st Dental Battalion, Camp Pendleton, CA

Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center, IL (Great Lakes)

Branch Health Clinic, Norfolk, VA

Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA

GPR
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD

Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, CA

Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA

Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NH Camp Pendleton is blue.

All the others are blue.

Also, you have your AEGD and GPR list reversed.

thank you.

Also is it true that if you get into green side for your PGY-1 you can get a 3 year extension for your operational tour at that base after you finish the program? This is not the case for blue side correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
let say you do a PGY-1 in a blue side. Can you switch over to green side after completing the program?

thank you

If you're at the same location, possibly. But the military is trying to minimize moving expenses, so don't put your hopes on being moved cross country to Pendleton or Lejeune if there's a LSD at the pier across the street that needs a dentist.

Reactions: 1 users
If they do PCS you out of the area, my best guess is they would like an OBLISERV. PCSing is like a month long process, so if you do a PGY1, and 2 year follow on your, they won't spend all that $ to move you if you'll only do 6-7 months before you start with your separation appointments and Terminal leave.

@vellnueve Thoughts?

Nvm, I forgot a year. It would be 5 years of payback in that scenario. Lol sorry, I'm a bonehead...

I just randomly thought about this post and thought "wait, wth am I saying?" :laugh:
So an OBLISERV will probably be unnecessary. It definitely won't be necessary if they decide to get some sea time out of you and plop you on the nearest ship.
I look back at my time underway and I can tell you it was not the most fun I've had. But I also look back on it with fondness because I got to visit alot of really cool places and do really cool things. It's a good experience.
Oh and IMO I would try to avoid Great Lakes. Chances are you won't exactly get the best of cases, and all the extractions are probably done by the ACP folks. Plus you will never get the tune of that cadence out of your head.

Yeah I was gonna say...
Do you think it would work more in his favor to get a ship first? Does that make it easier or harder to negotiate follow-on orders? Also, would it benefit more to do that right away, or do a PGY1 first? I ask because I'm sure you've seen people change their minds and may decide to stay in and pursue a specialty *cough cough*

Please correct me if I made any errors here.

I think any operational assignment is favorable for follow on orders. Sea duty maybe slightly more than green side, but I also think deployments on the green side may ramp up a little

I definitely think a PGY-1 is a must if you want to do a specialty.

Reactions: 1 users